Author Topic: Help with aspects and magical tattoo's  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
Help with aspects and magical tattoo's
« on: July 15, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »
So, I have an idea to play a John Constantine type of character. He would have only Thaumaturgy as magical abilities, since Constantine almost never uses magic in combat. And of course The Sight ability. Now, my problems aren't stunt or powers but I don't know what aspects I could use. So far I have the High Concept: Occult Detective and for the trouble aspect I was thinking "Good at making enemies" since this character is going to be a bit of a bastard ;D

I could really use some help coming up with the other aspects. And I was thinking about spending my Enchanted Item slots on magical tattoos(and leaving a few open for potion slots). But I don't really have ideas on what kind of tattoos to have :-\

Thank's for the help :)
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with aspects and magical tattoo's
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
Please don't stone for only have seen the Constantine movie, but for tattoos you could do something along the lines of dispelling illusions or veils, as in the movie. I did read up a bit on Constantine on the 'net, so you'd be spot on with the 'Thaumaturgy only', it fits the flavour of the character.

Perhaps you could make his High Concept: Reluctantly Heroic Occult Detective, which is more in tune with the original Constantine. It also adds a bit more panache to the character and more opportunities for compels/invokes. For your Trouble, perhaps something along the lines of With Enemies Like Mine, Why Do I Keep Making More?

For other Aspect I'd need more info, what Skills/Powers/Stunts are you considering? Any background traits/info you've already come up with?

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:33:35 PM »
I started reading the comics only after I watched the movie so don't worry about me stoning you. :)
I really like the sound of those aspects, way better than mine. And I like the dispelling tattoo idea. I already considered something along those lines.
About the other stunts and abilities I am really trying to make him more like John Constantine. Besides Thaumaturgy and The Sight I was considering Soulgaze(goes well with The Sight) and probably some stunts like Stage Magician,Infuriate(goes well with my trouble aspect) and perhaps Refinment to give me a few more enchanted item slots. Skill wise I am planning to take mostly social skills and Conviction, Discipline and Lore of course for the spellcasting. I would like to focus on Diabolism because Constantine is an exorcist.
I don't have the complate background yet, it still a work in progress. :-\

Thank you for the ideas so far. The aspects are really great :)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »
Now this will get me stoned, but I like the Constantine of the movie better than the comics.

With that in mind, some movie Constantine flavored aspects pop into mind:

I've Sealed My Fate - suicide

Not on My Watch - deports demons that cross the line

Smoke'em if Ya Got'em - heavy smoker, lung cancer

You See Them, They See You - supernaturally aware

God Works in Ways I Don't Like - bone to pick with the Almighty

On a First Name Basis With Lu - knows Lucifer better than he'd like

Screw the Balance - doesn't believe in the status quo
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
I really liked the movie. And again some great aspects, thank's.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:23:07 PM »
I'm currently running a somewhat similar character.  He's a thaumaturgist who specializes in potions and enchanted items and runs a magic shop called 'The Art and Craft'.  His aspects:

HC: Journeyman Artificer

Trouble: Everyone wants my help. EVERYONE.

Gadgets, gizmos, and a touch of magic

I Run a Clean Shop - He doesn't dabble in dark magic, and in fact, stands against it when he can.  It also speaks to his very ordered mind.

I Prepared for Everything... Except THIS! - Great for both declaring the perfect potion and getting compelled to NOT have the one thing on hand that would save the day.

All Brains, No Brawn - Reflected strongly in his skill choices, another great two-edged sword.

Aaaaaand I'm totally blanking on my last one.

Anyway, I'm not too familiar with Constantine, but from what I know, he seems a lot tougher and darker than my character.  Still, maybe this will give you some ideas.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Yes, Constantine is a lot darker and I am considering some aspect that will explain that. Something that he doesn't really care about the laws of magic and if breaking one helps he will do it.

I Prepared for Everything... Except THIS! I might use this aspect, it really is great for invoking and getting compelled(especially since I plan to leave a few slots open for potions).

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
Yes, Constantine is a lot darker and I am considering some aspect that will explain that. Something that he doesn't really care about the laws of magic and if breaking one helps he will do it.

I Prepared for Everything... Except THIS! I might use this aspect, it really is great for invoking and getting compelled(especially since I plan to leave a few slots open for potions).

Glad I could help.

Do be sure you talk to your group about lawbreaking and how it will be handled. It can be a touchy subject, with lots of interpretation going on.

That said, aspects like...
What Must Be Done
Laws Were Made to Be Broken
The Ends Justify The Means
or I'll Damn Myself to Save You
can bring in some really great conflict to the story.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 09:08:50 PM »
Glad I could help.

Do be sure you talk to your group about lawbreaking and how it will be handled. It can be a touchy subject, with lots of interpretation going on.

That said, aspects like...
What Must Be Done
Laws Were Made to Be Broken
The Ends Justify The Means
or I'll Damn Myself to Save You
can bring in some really great conflict to the story.

I like that last one EoD. That's got some meat on its bones.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »
Yeah, that last one is great. Thank you very much. We played DFRPG before and my whole group liked it, so I think we will come to a good agreement about lawbreaking.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
Of course, you should'nt forget all the grey areas! Summon demons for info, but not binding them, for instance.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
Of course, you should'nt forget all the grey areas! Summon demons for info, but not binding them, for instance.

Demons aren't people, so binding is fine, but the only reason you'd need to bind a demon is for bad things, so it's dark magic anyway.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
I need a better sounding name for this aspect: "Looking into the darkness without fear". It is supposed to decribe how my character has seen a lot of things and that he isn't afraid to look into the darkness again and have it look back. Not being afraid to do what is necesarry.
 ???

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
I need a better sounding name for this aspect: "Looking into the darkness without fear". It is supposed to decribe how my character has seen a lot of things and that he isn't afraid to look into the darkness again and have it look back. Not being afraid to do what is necesarry.
 ???

If you stare into the abyss it also stares at ....whatever
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
How about "Don't look away, It builds character"?
"Into the darkest depths, head held high"?
"Eyes on the (dark and scary) prize"?
"Staring the demons down"?

I dunno, I'm not on form this morning...