Author Topic: The consequences of more Consequences  (Read 2559 times)

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
The consequences of more Consequences
« on: July 10, 2011, 02:57:34 AM »
I like the health system in DFRPG, I like it a lot. It allows for almost any kind of conflict or fight one can come up with. Not only that, but it really does represent the series "down to earth" feel by not having injuries (at least in physical conflicts) vanish with the wave of a hand and a simple "Cure Major Wounds" spell.

However, what strikes me as a little odd is the fact that all the Consequences are lumped together. The Social Consequence "Bad Reputation" wouldn't really seem like it would have an impact on a physical confrontation. Likewise the Physical Consequence "Broken Hand" would be hard pressed to impact a Social battle.

My question is this: How badly will it hurt game balance to have different consequence tracks for each type of conflict? For example one for Mental and Physical, and one for Social? Or going full out and having one Consequence track for each type of conflict? Furthermore what might be done to mitigate any potential brokenness if the group insisted upon multiple Consequence tracks?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The consequences of more Consequences
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:02:32 AM »
I wouldn't expect any balance problems.

If the RAW seem odd to you, remember that consequences are abstract things without a real identity in game. What I mean to say is, no character is going to say "I've taken a moderate consequence".

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:08:45 AM »
My main worry is that it would suddenly make Wizards and other casters a heck of a lot more powerful, as they'll be able to burn through all their mental consequences without having to worry about being Taken Out until their physical consequences are used.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:15:12 AM »
I would expect it would change the feel of things, I.E. players would be less conservative with those consequences, but if that's what you're going for then I perceive no other changes. If your issue is actually with the pace then you should totally do this, but if your issue is merely with the thematic weirdness then I'd be wary, because it will change the pace.

Something that helps me is that I don't consider consequences to represent individual injuries but rather your general well-being. Consider, if you have a "Broken hand" you are pretty likely to have less energy to then argue with someone. Or if you have a "Bad reputation" it's possible that it would take a certain amount of your focus at any given time (unless you aren't the type to care about your reputation, in which case that's a pretty terrible consequence anyway) or that additional energy must be spent doing social things that would then not be there for physical conflict. Something to think about.

Also that's a very good point, it does increase the power of wizards.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:53:40 AM »
I had not thought about that. The last thing wizards need is more power.

It wouldn't be a problem often, but when it was...

I dunno.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 04:22:40 AM »
Perhaps people could be allowed more Tags when Invoking Mental Stress on Casters? One additional Tag per consequence taken?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
I think the really important question for you JayTee is this: Is this a thematic issue or a mechanical issue? If it's a thematic issue then I would say just try to ignore it or figure it out thematically. Then you don't wind up with hacks to fix your hacks to fix your hacks....

If it's a mechanical issue then by all means tweak away.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:28:26 AM »
Good point, I like the system and how it works. It was just that one part that struck me as odd, but I guess its nothing to get worked up over.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
I think it's partially a function of the noir-ish nature of the setting. Every defeat and every wound the hero suffers matters and it all combines to drag him down - be that a defeat in his own mind, in the sphere of social influence or getting shot in the foot. If you separate the consequences, he could be totally dragging in one area and kicking major behind in another, which isn't really true to the noir-ish nature, I feel.

Just my 2 cents.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »
The single consequence track can also drive concessions.  An emotional wreck should be more likely to concede when attacked physically.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 02:55:39 PM »
I initially didn't like the single consequence track thing either, but now that I think about it I'm fairly certain it actually encourages non-combat builds.  I like that.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 04:40:13 PM »
I also think that the single consequence pool forces conflicts to conclusion and indeed, makes the consequences characters suffer in previous conflicts matter no matter what.  Like, you know, consequences.  :)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 05:07:02 PM »
I also think that the single consequence pool forces conflicts to conclusion and indeed, makes the consequences characters suffer in previous conflicts matter no matter what.  Like, you know, consequences.  :)

And to me it represents a more holistic approach to a characters well being. To me it allows for all the accumulated baggage of a characters confrontations to wear away at him/her. Most real people start to feel overwhelmed when their wrist is broke, their reputation has gone from good neighbor or friend to troublemaker or failure, and they've fallen into a deep depression and/or anxiety from watching a bus full of school kids get eaten by some mind-shattering "thing that should not be".

This kind of snowball effect is possible with the consequence track. People are multidimensional, and so are their problems.

Or as some would say, it's not the years but the mileage.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
^^ What I was trying to say, but way better worded. Thanks.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
The consequences are also not a simulation of reality, but rather a simulation of the narrative of a story. Before I understood that, I also had a hard time getting a grip on the single consequence track.