Author Topic: Fae Politics  (Read 4782 times)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Fae Politics
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »
I think the game text's concentration on Winter and Summer courts obscures the sheer number and complexity of fae courts and their politics.  The fiction has shown us at least five courts (so far) all of which have a generally western origin.  I tend to think there are a lot more.

How many different courts have you used in game play?  Have you created any based on eastern mythology?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: Fae Politics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
I beg your pardon? Five courts of Fae? 1) Winter, 2) Summer and...? "Billy" suggests an Autumn Court, now defunct, in YS on pg.75, so you might theorize about a Spring Court as well. But other than that, what would you count? The 'court' of the Erlking? While he himself is a major player, his court has no powers such Winter or Summer (i.e. imbalancing the weather/climate, or some such). I am really, really curious which others you are referring to! :D

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
Why, The Za! Court of course!  :D
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »
Why, The Za! Court of course!  :D

All hail the Za-lord! All glory to Prince Harry Dresden!

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »
I beg your pardon? Five courts of Fae? 1) Winter, 2) Summer and...? "Billy" suggests an Autumn Court, now defunct, in YS on pg.75, so you might theorize about a Spring Court as well. But other than that, what would you count?
Seven courts if you want to include Autumn and Spring, I didn't since they weren't in the fiction.  The courts mentioned in the fiction include Winter, Summer, Wyld (the Erlking),
(click to show/hide)
and
(click to show/hide)
.  All of which have at least one noble mentioned and four mention kings or queens.

The 'court' of the Erlking? While he himself is a major player, his court has no powers such Winter or Summer (i.e. imbalancing the weather/climate, or some such). I am really, really curious which others you are referring to! :D
The Erlking appears to have power over the Hunt...which is fairly significant. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »
Wyld (the Erlking),
(click to show/hide)
and
(click to show/hide)

Oh, okay, this is probably due to the fact I haven't yet read all the short stories, nor Summer Knight all too well. I, personally, wouldn't put the Erlking and his 'court' on par with Summer or Winter, simply because they haven't got the same influence on the mortal world. The Erlking himself may be on par with the Summer/Winter Queen, but his sphere of influence is far more limited.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
Wasn't trying to rank them, just enumerate them.  That said, the implications around the TT might put them on par with the Summer and Winter courts. 

What I'm really interested in is how people may have used other courts...
--

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
Wasn't trying to rank them, just enumerate them.  That said, the implications around the TT might put them on par with the Summer and Winter courts. 

What I'm really interested in is how people may have used other courts...

Ah, my apologies, then. The source material from the books is pretty slim, so you'd have to get onto the net to flesh out these other courts. However, I could see how in Asia, for example, "faeries" might be different, as their mythology is completely different from ours as well.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:03:50 PM »
The courts we've seen so far have a western European feel. 
(click to show/hide)

But I don't think all the supernatural factions can be called fairies.  I really don't think that the
(click to show/hide)
are fairies.  Remember that there are lots of things in the Nevernever and fairyland is just the closest of many inhuman realms.

Richard

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
Just found out about the
(click to show/hide)
and I realize I really need to get up to speed considering the short stories!

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
Since the
(click to show/hide)
I suspect there's more to them than the website states.  Thanks for the link though, I'll have to explore it when I have more time.

Shrug, like I said, I'm more interested in listing different courts than in ranking them.  Rank is less important than how important they are to a given campaign.
--

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
Which story did the
(click to show/hide)
appear in? 

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »
Curses.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
Curse was published in Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy (July 5, 2011).

No, I haven't read it yet either.

Richard

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
I'd also be hesitant to list the Erlking's Court as 'Wyld', as it seems that, though it is made up of Wyldfae, there are many, many, many more Wyldfae that are not associated with it.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough