Author Topic: Bad Luck Curse?  (Read 2834 times)

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
Bad Luck Curse?
« on: July 06, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »
I'm writing up a werecat character that has the ability to cause misfortune effects (by virtue of being a black cat, crossing someone's path). It doesn't have to be particularly effective or overt; just something that effectively allows maneuvers of that theme would be fine.

What kind of power should I base this on? What skill should it be based on? Should it even be a power? And if I wanted to scale it up, what options might be appropriate?

I'm thinking Channeling might be the trick, or even Sponsored Magic, but considering the limited scope perhaps a variant of Breath Attack would work?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Luck Curse?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:33:27 AM »
Oddly enough I'd think you could create something using incite emotion. At it's base it's simply the ability to maneuver in ways one might not normally be allowed. You could at least look at what incite emotion does and then see how to tweak it, but I think that's the closest thing to what you want.

Either that or you could check the custom powers thread and see if anyone's written something up. I don't hang out on that thread much, so I don't know what's on there, but chances are someone's at least thought about this before.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:33:59 AM »
Incite Unluck is one possibility, though I would think that it would be more expensive for the basic power than the much more focused Incite Emotion (and might not make sense to upgrade with the stress-inflicting addons).

Channeling or Rituals could work, too, and would have more versatility (ie, various spells tied by the theme of Luck rather than limited to inflicting an unlucky aspect) and also a greater cost (paying stress to create the effect).

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:09:22 AM »
Either Ritual (Entropomancy) or Spell-Like Ability, I think.

The latter is a homebrew power, so use it at your own risk.

In case you're interested:

Spell-Like Ability [-1]
Description: You have the ability to cast one spell.
Musts: Nothing more than any other power requires.
Effect:
Spell-Like Ability. Design a spell with complexity or power equal to the higher of your Conviction skill and your Lore skill. You may cast that spell as an evocation rote.
Potent Spell-Like Ability [-1]. Add two to the power of one of your spell-like ability. This does not increase the difficulty to control it.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:08:59 AM »
Do you lose mental stress with that one Sanctaphrax?

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:17:26 AM »
Maaaaayyyyybeee take it as part of the Echoes of the Beast power ?

Make him make Alertness or Invistigation maneuvers for unluck ?
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:44:49 AM »
Could this be used with an Aspect? Something like "Bad stuff happens to those around me"?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »
[-1] Jinx: Your presence affects the luck of other people. You may use the "first impressions" of Rapport to apply a luck-related aspect instead of an appearance-related one. If your Intimidation is higher than your Rapport, you may link this ability to Intimidation instead when you first take it but you may not alter this choice later.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 05:04:56 AM »
Yeah, you take mental stress.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
Another potential snag would be determining the nature/source of the entropy curse this character is handing out, It could potentially lead to first law violations depending on power source and how strict the accusing warden wants to be.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
Another potential snag would be determining the nature/source of the entropy curse this character is handing out, It could potentially lead to first law violations depending on power source and how strict the accusing warden wants to be.

We are in a gray area between White Council-monitored spellcaster and "other."

Braincraft, do the Laws of Magic matter to you for the purposes of this question?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »
Braincraft, do the Laws of Magic matter to you for the purposes of this question?

I would guess not. Besides, we're really looking for the mechanical way to create the effect, rather than the story/narrative of what it is. I'm pretty sure he's already got that bit covered.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 11:02:19 PM »
is it planned for the player to have influence over how the entropy curse manifests, or just assigning a "cursed with unluck left to tag or for GM to decide on?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:16:33 AM »
I actually like the Breath Weapon idea, though one could make it more close-range and base it off of claws.  You could pick a skill for making attacks with it of course.

For a Breath Weapon, I'd say allow spread attacks and maneuvers and call it Baleful Eye or something.  Direct attacks would actually be some unlucky event, like something falling on them, slipping, etc.  Maneuvers would be a bad luck curse that could be invoked.  To finish it off, toss in the ability to make any inflicted consequence by someone with this ability to become curses themselves.  So if you attack with a gun, and inflict a severe consequence, you can choose to instead of inflicting "Belly Wound", you give them "Horrible Luck".*

You could probably make this a -1 ability if you only allow maneuvers and no attacks.

*In game terms you inflict stress as normal.  In Narrative terms you perhaps steal luck from your shot (so it essentially misses on a story level), and use that to curse the target.

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »
I didn't even think about the Laws. In concept, the character pretty much just uses it for the lulz, so I don't anticipate First Law infractions. Maybe the juice could get turned up enough to call down ballistic frozen turkey strikes once in a blue moon, but only on monsters that probably deserved it anyway.

I'm thinking that -2 refresh meets the smell test, regardless of whether it's defined as Ranged Incite, Breath Weapon, or Ritual (Entropomancy). In that context, what kind of effectiveness could I get away with, and what skills could be justified for targeting and defense against? One free tag maneuver per hit? Multiple free tags for every 3 excess shifts? Maybe define it as having a 'damage' bonus, due to its limited scope and possible stress cost?