Author Topic: Spoiler Tagging Titles  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
Spoiler Tagging Titles
« on: July 01, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
With the number of people currently posting spoiler-ish titles in the Spoilers section (which can be seen from the front screen), I was wondering if it would be possible for us to simply spoiler-tag the title itself? That way spoiler tags would not be necessary inside the entirety of the thread itself, save when a different spoiler than the tagged title is being discussed. Might save some aggravation for those readers who aren't looking to be spoiled inadvertently.
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Spoiler Tagging Titles
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:47:04 PM »
Titles cannot be spoiler-tagged.  People need to be more cognizant and respectful about the fact their subject lines can be seen on the main board.

And if a topic concerns GS spoilers ONLY, stick [GS SPOILERS] at the beginning of the subject line.  That way, folks don't need to use the tab ANYWHERE in the thread itself.  Everyone wins!

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »
Titles cannot be spoiler-tagged.  People need to be more cognizant and respectful about the fact their subject lines can be seen on the main board.

And if a topic concerns GS spoilers ONLY, stick [GS SPOILERS] at the beginning of the subject line.  That way, folks don't need to use the tab ANYWHERE in the thread itself.  Everyone wins!

The issue is that a lot of folks are placing the book spoiler at the end of the subject line instead of at the first part. I thought that if the subject title could be spoilered, there'd be a lot less risk of people accidentally seeing something they shouldn't.

So there's no way to set it up that the titles could be spoiler tagged? Bummer.
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:24:17 PM »
The issue is that a lot of folks are placing the book spoiler at the end of the subject line instead of at the first part. I thought that if the subject title could be spoilered, there'd be a lot less risk of people accidentally seeing something they shouldn't.

So there's no way to set it up that the titles could be spoiler tagged? Bummer.

I haven't found any code that works in titles.  The correct action is to report posts with spoilers in the subject line to protect the eyes of the uninitiated.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
The correct action is to report posts with spoilers in the subject line to protect the eyes of the uninitiated.

Bingo!

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:40:56 PM »
Yes, and I've done that, but it is true that sometimes the harm is done before the report. Besides, there is an extra risk with GS, some people knows more than the 3 chapters oficially released.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »
I haven't found any code that works in titles.  The correct action is to report posts with spoilers in the subject line to protect the eyes of the uninitiated.

All I can say is THANK GOD you can't post pictures as titles...
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 01:42:39 AM »
Yes, and I've done that, but it is true that sometimes the harm is done before the report. Besides, there is an extra risk with GS, some people knows more than the 3 chapters oficially released.

I doubt people who, though lack of consideration or lack of knowledge of our site policies, post spoilers in the subject lines would use the spoiler censor bar in the subject line.  It's just as easy to include [GS SPOILERS] and a discreet title.  This is purely a human problem, not something tech will solve.  We need a human solution: education of the site policies and vigilance among the fans, so any slip-ups can be reported to the mods and fixed before anyone else is spoiled.