Author Topic: Modular Abilities: how to work them?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Modular Abilities: how to work them?
« on: June 30, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »
As I was reading through the Shapeshifting powers, one question was bugging me about the "Modular Abilities"-power. Can it be used as a stand alone power, or should it be combined with something like True Shapeshifting? If you were to shift from Inhuman (or better) Strength to Inhuman Speed, I could imagine that your muscle tone changes, without any gross outward changes. In this way I can see it working as a stand-alone power.

However, the description is a bit vague: "You can improve your physique, taking on a variety of abilities as you change your form." Where the 'change your form' bit casts doubt.

Any tips or suggestions on this are appreciated.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Modular Abilities: how to work them?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »
I've made one build which used Modular Abilities without ShapeShifting, for when full spellcasting would be overkill but the character would still want some flexibility. It is a good question though, and I'm not sure if doing so is RAW-legal.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
I've made one build which used Modular Abilities without ShapeShifting, for when full spellcasting would be overkill but the character would still want some flexibility. It is a good question though, and I'm not sure if doing so is RAW-legal.

I also don't know if it's actually allowed under RAW, but I personally would allow it. IMO, your appearance would change just enough to accommodate whatever abilities you were using. Maybe more, if you added Human Form to it, but still retaining the same general shape.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »
Ultimately, the official word is going to be "whatever works at your table": since Modular Abilities does not explicitly require one of the other abilities in the "Musts" section, the obligation to have another Shapeshifting ability is something we are reading into it (which is not to say it isn't a reasonable expectation). They are certainly explicit about what *types* of abilities you can purchase with your form points.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
In my game we have a Mystic Martial Artist who uses Modular Abilities to mimic various Ki Powers and other martial arts stuff.  He basically will look human at all times but will start to glow when using his power.  I picture an Iron Fist type effect but then I have always loved that character.  It has proven to make for a formidable and versatile character who isn't overpowered due to the expense.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
In my game we have a Mystic Martial Artist who uses Modular Abilities to mimic various Ki Powers and other martial arts stuff.  He basically will look human at all times but will start to glow when using his power.  I picture an Iron Fist type effect but then I have always loved that character.  It has proven to make for a formidable and versatile character who isn't overpowered due to the expense.

Are you enforcing the "take a full action to change them around" rule?

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »

That's how I envisioned the power, perhaps with muscles bulging with supernatural strength, or skin hardening for toughness.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
My read on Modular Abilities is that it is a self-contained power that allows for specific changes to the user's form (see the first sentence of "Function Follows Form").  I'd rule that any powers taken on must be reflected on your form, but that you cannot change your core shape more than necessary, and certainly not so much as to make you unrecognizable.  So, for example, if you took Claws, then your fingers would actually grow claws, and if you took Wings, then you would actually sprout wings.  Others should certainly notice the difference, but if Bob used Modular Abilities to grow wings, then he'd look like a Winged Bob, not like a bird or an angel or something else.

If Modular Abilities is combined with another shapechanging ability, then you have much more flexibility, but keep in mond that the power is still named "Function Follows Form", so any powers you take should reflect your form.  Note that I'd also rule that Modular Abilities adds to other shapechanging powers, rather than being limited to them.  So if someone had, say, Beast Form (Wolf) and Modular Abilities, then they could grow wings on their wolf form.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24:18 AM »
I certainly would not require a shapeshifting power for Modular Abilities. There's no obvious balance problem there, and Modular Abilities has no such Musts by the RAW.

I'd also let people use it with or without a visual display (except for when dealing with corner cases like Hulking Size). Here's why:

1. As a general rule, powers don't enforce aesthetics in this game.
2. Human Guise costs nothing. Players can take it if they want to avoid visual displays anyway.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »
Are you enforcing the "take a full action to change them around" rule?

Oh, aye.  Absolutely.  It really is a pretty cool set up especially when you add some stunts to the mix.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/