Author Topic: I'm a wizard and I like my tech.  (Read 9776 times)

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a wizard and I like my tech.
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 01:17:07 AM »
First, this applies to the original poster's question about a room.  Mac's pub has an odd, but very specific arrangement of pillars and other items scattered throughout his bar used to unravel errant magical energies.  And Mac's is frequented by all manner of folks from the magical community with varying degrees of strength throughout the day, and it wasn't until the Dark Hallow that Mac's was without power - so unless your wizard is on par with Cowl, I don't think you'd have much to worry about if you were going to have a similar specific arrangement of 'lightning rods' in your wizard's house.

I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion from this.

Cowl did some specific stuff that resulted in what happened. It was really powerful, yes. However, look at the scale of what went on there.

Now take a look at what tends to happen inside Mac's. People mostly sit down, grab a drink, and maybe grab a sandwich. People aren't tossing around fireballs inside; it's Accorded neutral territory.

Basically, it's off to suggest that because it took a massive spell of incredible power to do a crap load of stuff which happens to have knocked Mac's joint out of kilter that it's the only thing that could have done so.

Let's draw a little analogy.

Let's liken what Cowl did to setting off a massive EMP. Just because that's the first thing that turned the lights off doesn't mean that a kid with a tack hammer couldn't have done the same thing. It also doesn't mean that a tall guy couldn't accidentally break a bulb with his head or that someone couldn't accidentally set off a breaker. It just means that the EMP is the first thing we've seen turn the lights off.

Offline funnybonzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 02:08:03 AM »
Good point.
"...And they have BOOBS!" - Bob the Skull

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 02:10:39 AM »
On a setting level, this is not the best idea.

But I don't think that there should be any mechanical issues.

Compels are not bad things, and opening yourself up to compels is not a drawback.

So I don't think that hexing can be considered a meaningful balancing factor for wizards.

Anyway, a rich wizard could skip all this nonsense about wards and circles. They'd just have to own 3-4 televisions/computers/whatevers. Then they could just use another machine whenever hexing becomes a problem, while contractors replace the broken device.

PS: I regard the statement about RCVs being invariably NPCs as a writer error.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 02:56:26 AM »

How do you figure? They had a whole team working on it AND Jim signed off on it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 03:08:38 AM »
See my post above
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 03:10:08 AM »
I don't mean it's a typo. I just mean that I think it would have been better if it had been written differently.

(If the above is based on a poor reading of your post, Shecky, I apologize. I had some trouble working out your meaning.)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 03:32:30 AM »
Note that playing a Red Court Vampires are one of only a few character concepts specifically not allowed by the RAW:

In the fullness of the canon, and in the context of the basic premises of the game setting, the comment about RCV's becoming unplayable NPCs is an accurate (or at least a very defensible) statement. It gives poignancy to the danger of fighting RCVs, the possibility that one could become one of them, and in so doing, turn bad. They have done their best to set it up as a problem, and a serious threat for Red Court Infected.

In the fullness of what gamers would want to do, however, the writers could perhaps have opted to say "almost invariably," but that could (would) have opened up more questions, possibly inspired a thread about who the "good RCV" is that Jim Butcher is hiding behind the GM screen. Certainly a subculture which has been exposed to "Buffy," "Angel," "Vampire Hunter D" (and any number of other fictional depictions of vampires) would posit the option of playing a "good" RCV. And there are plenty of others who would try a Group Template which could accommodate an evil RCV.

So I take this statement as the "rule 0" answer:
YS72: "Regardless, while the choices listed here are hardly the only ones available in the Dresdenverse, they represent what we think are the best options for the would-be heroes of your game world. Enjoy! "

Basically, there are setting components which are fairly cut and dry, no mater how much someone wants to circumvent it or create the special snowflake character who is the exception to the rule:
Wizards hex tech and must thereby go without many modern conveniences.
Red Court Vampires are irredeemably evil and can't be "saved."

But each table gets to play its own game. People are encouraged to hold to the canon, but are free to make changes, for the sake of fun. Because if it's not fun, why do it? So long as everyone empathizes with those who *do* care how canonical their game is, it will be easier for those defenders of the canon to relax, empathize with and support those who do otherwise.

And I close with this:
Playing a Game in Canon with the books
Real Men:  Respect the GM's wishes, but don't let it interfere with gameplay.
Real Roleplayers:  THIS GAME MUST BE IN SEAMLESS CONTINUITY OF THE DRESDEN FILES AS PRESENTED BY THE ALL-FATHER, HIS HOLINESS JIM BUTCHER AND HIS PROPHETESS PRISCELLIE.
Real Loonies:  Will take every opportunity to break the canon... whilst using cheese.
Real Munchkins:  Will twist the GM's arm by keeping canon... only if they are the one that killed Simon Pietrovich.... or Kemmler.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:34:12 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 03:44:18 AM »
That would be a valid point to make.

But they don't really make a point, they just drop in that one line. It causes silly arguments like this one for no good reason. Hence my calling it a mistake.

PS: A sidebar on what can and can't be a PC would have solved the whole problem. Plus, it would have been fun to read.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 07:46:46 AM »
Basically, there are setting components which are fairly cut and dry, no mater how much someone wants to circumvent it or create the special snowflake character who is the exception to the rule:
Red Court Vampires are irredeemably evil and can't be "saved."
Outsiders are supposed to be highly resistant to "mortal" magic.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »
I don't mean it's a typo. I just mean that I think it would have been better if it had been written differently.

(If the above is based on a poor reading of your post, Shecky, I apologize. I had some trouble working out your meaning.)

I'm failing to see the "better". I wasn't referring to any potential typos, as I took it that you meant the content was "wrong", and that's what seems counter to every bit of information in TDF and DFRPG regarding the Reds.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
So I take this statement as the "rule 0" answer:
The first part of this statement is true, but I do not think the second part inevitably follows from the first as far as canon is concerned.  We've seen at least two means in the books by which wizards can, while not eliminate hexing from their lives entirely, mitigate its impact at least temporarily.  The first is seen in Death Masks, in which Harry uses a spell to suppress his hexing.  It doesn't work as well as he hoped but there are mitigating circumstances in the situation, and Harry has admitted he's not as great at control as other wizards.  The second means was seen in Dead Beat, in which we saw Butters use an advanced GPS device within close proximity of Harry, which was able to operate normally thanks to being insulated from any stray magic via a circle.

Both of these examples show that while technology hexing is a problem wizards have to cope with, it is not necessarily a totally insurrmountable problem.  Now, to be sure, wizards are always going to be hampered somewhat dealing with high tech and won't be able to enjoy its benefits as well as vanilla mortals or less powerful practioners.  But there are methods available so that they might be able to utilize technology under some some circumstances if they are willing to expend the time, effort and resources to do so.
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
The first part of this statement is true, but I do not think the second part inevitably follows from the first as far as canon is concerned.  We've seen at least two means in the books by which wizards can, while not eliminate hexing from their lives entirely, mitigate its impact at least temporarily... Both of these examples show that while technology hexing is a problem wizards have to cope with, it is not necessarily a totally insurrmountable problem... here are methods available so that they might be able to utilize technology under some some circumstances if they are willing to expend the time, effort and resources to do so.

All of this is, of course, true and in the books.

So getting down to brass tacks. A player playing a spellcaster can sidestep this setting element (and while one can find exceptions, I don't imagine anyone can reasonably conclude that such exceptions somehow nullify hexing as a pervasive or compelling setting element) by a variety of means:

1) If it works, persuade the GM and the other players into allowing it.
2) Spend in-game time making Declarations (Lore or Resources make sense) to set up Aspects reflecting one's control and/or precautions relating to inhibiting the Hexing endemic to mortal spellcasters.
3) Hoard Fate Points to buy off Hexing-related Compels.
4) Buy a Stunt which increases Discipline rolls specifically to resist Hexing.
5) Buy a Stunt which lets the caster use Craftsmanship or Resources - instead of Discipline - to resist Hexing.
6) Have an incredibly high Discipline.
7) Use Enchanted Item slots to produce an effect, of varying precision, as best determined by the table.
Examples include:
a Block against Hexing (or Hexing Armor);
a Block against all magic;
a substitute Discipline roll to use against Hexing;
Maneuvers to place Aspects reflecting one's control and/or precautions relating to inhibiting Hexing

Offline mygamingid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »
So what do you think oh reader?

I see this and come up with two questions: why and what's it worth to you?

When someone wants to excuse themselves from a fixture in the game, the first thing I want to know is "why?"  Why do you need this and what do you hope to get from it?  How and when do you plan to use your special ability?  If it's just a cosmetic thing, then I'll be correspondingly lenient on the consequences.  If it's a powergaming thing, then I'm far less likely to approve it.  If I do approve it, then it'll cost, likely more than the potential gains.  If you want to deviate from the expressed use of the powers in a meaningful way, then the cost may go up and unplanned costs are always higher...

The next bit asks what it's worth.  Accidental hexes occur as a result of compels, right?  Normally, it would cost a Fate point to prevent the compel, so you're looking for something that can substitute for that expenditure.  Assuming we're looking for balance, that "something" has to cost you.  The hex effect comes as part of the character's high concept, which makes it a bit more difficult to explain away, too.  You don't just get whatever it is for free or by throwing a few words down on paper.  What's it worth to make your character an exception to the rule?

Maybe he's so attuned to and used to the lightning rod system in his home that he's more hex-prone outside of it (e.g. can't spend a Fate point to avoid, occurs more frequently).  Maybe he takes stress or cannot recover from stress if he is inside the lightning rod system.  Maybe he has to sit with his feet in one of those hydrotherapy foot spa devices so the running water grounds out his magic.  Maybe all of that, maybe even more.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »
Am I the only one parsing the title of this thread to the tune of the "Lumberjack" song?

I'm a wizard and I like my tech:
I ward my phone so it does not wreck.
I drive nice cars, play GTA,
Watch flicks on DVD,
I now have Netflix streaming
Hooked to my LCD.

/He's a wizard, and he likes his tech:
He wards his phone so it does not wreck/

I'm a wizard and I like my tech:
I ward my phone so it does not wreck.
When things go down, I send a text
To my communities.
We flash-mob roving bad guys
And Tweet their SOPs.

/He's a wizard, and he likes his tech:
He wards his phone so it does not wreck/

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 07:14:52 PM »
Am I the only one parsing the title of this thread to the tune of the "Lumberjack" song?
+1 Awesome Point to you for that song!