Author Topic: I'm a wizard and I like my tech.  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Runhide

• Participant
    • View Profile
I'm a wizard and I like my tech.
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Unlike harry my character is not poor and I like to have my big screen TV and the internet.  So I was thinking about wards, magic and Tech.  I would like to setup my home and the shop I run with the ability to have post 1940 tech.  Since it is always best to start with the basics I will go over some of the elements involved and work my way up to a way for me to coexist with tech.  This will also allow you the reader to either poke holes in my reasoning  or understand how it works.

The first is that I am treating magic like a form of energy with its own special properties but similar to electricity.

Second Wizards are able to manipulate, channel and gather magic around themselves or store it.  These abilities however are not 100% clean so leakage occurs.  This leakage can be mitigated by training, practice, age or in game terms their Conviction and Discipline.  A Wizards magic ability is greatly influenced by their emotions and this can cause leakage also.       

Third Technology of a certain level and type (mostly electronics or things that use electrically based parts) can easily be damaged or destroyed by magic be it leakage or a directed attack.

Given those basic tenants I would like to create a sink or lightening rod type of system in my home and shop.  This would involve placing a grid of rods in walls floors ceilings wherever and linking them to absorb stray magical energy.  Now magic is all around us in some form or another but is at levels that do not mess up tech or nothing would work anywhere.  I would setup my system to dissipate that extra magic by grounding it into the earth or maybe even channeling it into my house/shop wards.  As a Wizard you really don’t want to broadcast where your home or lair is so having a system that hides magical activity is a must.  Linking the system into a ward that mimics the magic level of the surrounding area would also be a good idea.  Because of the complexity of the sink-system I would think it would require a largish area but you may also be able to install one in a car.  Bottom line I would like to setup the system to absorb any magical energy above the normal background level so it does not affect tech where I set it up.  I also think you would be able to accomplish this under a ward rather than as an enchanted item.   

So what do you think oh reader?

As an added incentive if it works movie night at my house.  Sixty inch screen with full room surround sound.  Snacks and soda included bring your own beer ;).       

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a wizard and I like my tech.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
You could just ward the protected areas be done with it as you mentioned.  Just need to remember that the magic comes from you so, I am not too sure how you could be using a computer.  But really you probably need to work this out with your GM. 

Also having a box or two of disposable remotes maynot be a bad idea...   ;D

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
Wizards and tech... Here we go again  ::)  ;D

This has been discussed many times, and there's no end in sight.

As far as flavor goes, there are many many ways to describe a hex proof environment. Your's is certainly a viable design. Though i would expect your "magical drainage system" would gobble up any and all magical energies... including those a caster is trying to work with, which would make working spells in that area almost impossible.

From a rules perspective, Involuntary Hexing is a compel. A Compel either gives you fate, or takes fate to avoid.
Therefore i would charge a wizard character who wants to avoid such compels some refresh based on how often one would expect such compels to occur.

For Example:
How often does it occur that a wizard is compelled because technology does not work in his home. My experience is that on average this maybe happens once per seesion.
So if a Player want's total resistance to such compels, he pays 1 refresh up front. Add a colorful description as to why it works. And voila, you're done.
I'd also require this Wizard to have an aspect that incorporates this "love-affair" with technology.

You can then adjust the cost of this "ability" accordingly, if the Hex-Proofing extends to other situations as well.

A totally non-Hexing Wizard would cost at least 3 Refresh, probably more.

that's my take

Then again, i would rather have my rich Wizard have his own big movie room with a vintage projector, an old yet lovingly maintained tube based sound system, and current movies printed on rolls of film specially for his enjoyment.
Wizards fowling up modern tech is an intrinsic part of the Dresden Files setting. So i'd rather see players find amusing ways to do without it, than have them puzzle out ways to circumvent the restriction. but that's just me.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:04:01 PM »
I'm kind of on-board with Tsunami that magic is quite powerful and fowling tech is one of the draw-backs. 

To answer your question, though, could you set a ward as a counterspell? Not sure, mechanically, how to do this.  An 8shift ward would counterspell any magic less than 8 shifts of power.  Anything more than that would degrade the ward.  You wouldn't be able to cast any magic (less than 8 shifts) at all while in the warded area.  You'd just ward your A/V room...

I guess it would just be a block against magic.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
I think a wizard should have a means to suppress their magic temporarily (such as with a potion that places the aspect "Suppressed Magic" with the free tag to avoid hexing, which can also be compelled to prevent their casting) for things like going into hospitals, etc.  However, I don't think a wizard should be able to completely avoid hexing.  It's part of the setting and if you're playing in the Dresden universe, it should be there.  If you don't like it, then work with your GM and group to change the setting. 

This doesn't mean wizards can't have nice things.  Electricity, hot water, etc. are all things which could easily be done with a decent resources roll to have a well built environment.  Older TV sets would be possible.  I really like the idea of an old projector. 

Really, everything comes at a price.  I think the best way to model a wizard having a room where he can interact with tech is to have a ward or something set up that strips away magic.  It could function like a threshold, when you enter you leave your magic at the door. 

Basically, the idea is, if you don't want to hex you have to temporarily give up your magic.

That being said, I don't think computers or cell phones should be allowed.  It's reasonable to assume something like '70s and '80s tech to be possible, especially for a younger wizard.  Current tech and magic shouldn't mix in universe.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
I think it's OK as long as your solution has other issues that can be compelled instead.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
...I also think you would be able to accomplish this under a ward rather than as an enchanted item.   
So what do you think oh reader?
First, what works is going to be group dependent.  That said, I can see three possible methods of handling this with wards as the least likely.  :)

Method 1)  An aspect, preferably your high concept.  A Calm, Cool, and Collected Wizard is simply far less likely to hex things unintentionally.  It also allows spending fate points to avoid hexing things.

Method 2)  One or more enchanted items / potion slots.  You're paying for it as a power so it should have a positive result.  Personally I think one potion slot per day devoted to grounding excess power should take care of anything short of magical combat.  That is group dependent of course.

Method 3) Wards.  This is least likely simply because power and data lines crossing a ward circle are likely to count as breaking it.  Unless you have a very generous group.  :)  However, a wizard with the resources to buy or build custom electronics and the engineering knowledge to figure it out could design an induction break in the lines* and set it precisely on the ward circle.  So it is possible, just neither easy nor cheap.

*Works for power and analog data.  Digital data is...more difficult.  ;)

As an added incentive if it works movie night at my house.  Sixty inch screen with full room surround sound.  Snacks and soda included bring your own beer ;).       
When's the party?   ;D
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
Power Lines shouldn't break a circle.  There's no meaningful intent to the electrons crossing it anymore than air molecules cross a circle from breathing would cause a break.  There's an argument, perhaps, for data lines, though I'd lean against this since you can talk to people on the other side of a circle without breaking.

I'd think a Tech Wizard could have a setup like this:
A room totally sealed off with a ward to block out magic from leaking into it.  Shouldn't even have to be that powerful to block random magic discharges.  All computer equipment is setup in here.  A projector or large TV would be used for a computer screen.  Now, input is tricky here, since you can't just use a regular mouse or keyboard.  I'd suggest a mirror above the mouse, which is used on a finely dotted grid.  A camera sees the reflection, and figures out the mouse movements from this -- it would need to be a fairly powerful camera.  Mouse buttons would be mechanical in nature and just show a color or other visual cue for the camera to pick up.  The keyboard would perhaps best be done as a mechanical device that when a key is pressed down a sign of what key was used is shown (perhaps a combination of colors).  Another camera sees this and interprets keystrokes.

This would allow the easiest access to a computer system without the user needing to suppress their magic.  A potion that places a maneuver on the person "Sealed Magic" would be used when working in the Tech Room.  It would be invoked for effect to disable ALL magic of the user for as long as the maneuver would last.  Another potion would be used to cancel this effect early.  Before more advanced digital cameras, this would be the setup used to access the system as well.

A more generous GM might let you get away with a magical "grounding wire" that you attach to your wrist or something and it would suck out all extraneous magical energy before it did damage.  This would take up an enchanted item slot.  It would probably place a "Magically Grounded" maneuver on you which is invoked for effect to stop hexing for the duration.  Hmm, you might even have another magical item that uses the collected magical energies from this one to power itself.  (This is basically what Runhide said, but you might as well have an enchanted item instead of a potion if you plan on using your computer to any significant degree).

In any case, you MUST have a warded room to stop accidental damage to your machines.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
Power Lines shouldn't break a circle.  There's no meaningful intent to the electrons crossing it anymore than air molecules cross a circle from breathing would cause a break.  There's an argument, perhaps, for data lines, though I'd lean against this since you can talk to people on the other side of a circle without breaking.
Not worried about the electrons...you have a line of copper & plastic obscuring a portion of your circle.  A physical break.  

I differentiated between analog and digital because induction only transfers alternating current.  However it is an easy way to create a physical break in a power line.  Match that physical break up with your circle's edge and you no longer have anything creating a line across it.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:07 PM »
Not worried about the electrons...you have a line of copper & plastic obscuring a portion of your circle.  A physical break.  

I differentiated between analog and digital because induction only transfers alternating current.  However it is an easy way to create a physical break in a power line.  Match that physical break up with your circle's edge and you no longer have anything creating a line across it.

And the ground isn't a physical break for the circle because?  Also, note, a dust bunny blown by the wind over a circle doesn't break it.  Pipes for water mains don't break it either.  It has to be an object moved by an act of will while the circle is up to break it.  In any case, a ward wouldn't make as big a deal about a break, so it is less of an issue if you go that route.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »
Now, input is tricky here, since you can't just use a regular mouse or keyboard.  I'd suggest a mirror above the mouse, which is used on a finely dotted grid.  A camera sees the reflection, and figures out the mouse movements from this -- it would need to be a fairly powerful camera.  Mouse buttons would be mechanical in nature and just show a color or other visual cue for the camera to pick up.  The keyboard would perhaps best be done as a mechanical device that when a key is pressed down a sign of what key was used is shown (perhaps a combination of colors).  Another camera sees this and interprets keystrokes.
Or you could check out all the things a Wii mote can do...  :)  A virtual mouse & keyboard setup with a projected screen would work great - assuming you've solved all the other issues. :)
--

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
And the ground isn't a physical break for the circle because?  
Any variety of reasons...probably starting with the ground being the medium the circle is drawn on.  That does bring up another possibility...you might be able to design a circle where at least part of it is a conductor.

Also, note, a dust bunny blown by the wind over a circle doesn't break it.  Pipes for water mains don't break it either.  It has to be an object moved by an act of will while the circle is up to break it.  In any case, a ward wouldn't make as big a deal about a break, so it is less of an issue if you go that route.
Can't agree but, as I mentioned earlier, this is going to be group dependent.

My take is, the circle can be broken by anything (or anyone) it is trying to protect or prevent.  Draw a circle around yourself to keep the bad guys out and you'd better not let a finger cross the line.  Draw a circle to keep a demon in and you'd better not let anything it can use or become cross the line.  Draw a circle to keep electronics safe and you'd better not let any electronics cross the line...
--

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »
My take is, the circle can be broken by anything (or anyone) it is trying to protect or prevent.  Draw a circle around yourself to keep the bad guys out and you'd better not let a finger cross the line.  Draw a circle to keep a demon in and you'd better not let anything it can use or become cross the line.  Draw a circle to keep electronics safe and you'd better not let any electronics cross the line...

By that reasoning you are also making a ward to protect kids, since it BLOCKS MAGIC.  The ward isn't focused on electronics in its design, it is focused on stopping magical energies.  A ward to protect a house similarly protects your bathroom, but that doesn't mean the plumbing cancels it out.

I think that's sufficient, though I'd also note there's a difference between electrons moving a little bit and electronic devices maintaining their physical status.  The two are very different, if related.

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
Wizard goes out for a day, and gets someone like Butters to set up a computer with sophisticated voice recognition software - both audio output and a large screen.  Afterwards, the Butters-alike circles around the whole set, screen and all.  The wizard never touches the computer, and never crosses the line holding out magical energies.  They can however speak their input, because their voices are just sound.  They can't use drives and things, but the computer itself is theoretically doable.

On the other hand, most wizards aren't going to know someone tech-savvy enough to set up such a system for them.  That, or the lightning rods mentioned in the OP, are the kinds of things I'd expect to see thought up by Paranet rather than the White Council.

On the gripping hand:
It's part of the setting and if you're playing in the Dresden universe, it should be there... Basically, the idea is, if you don't want to hex you have to temporarily give up your magic.  -  InFerrumVeritas
I agree.  What I'd go with of the approaches in this thread:

Harry's hexing is described as unusually strong.  So I'd allow a power to make it unusually weak - it happens accidentally less often, but is also harder to do deliberately.

A grounding system is ingenious, but I'd have it impossible to cast in the grounded area either.  If I made it a self-ward, I'd have it suppress any ability to cast, Soulgaze, or use the Sight - or exert enough magical control to cancel it - the only way to end the effect would be a penetrating injury worth at one stress box.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
Hmm, this makes me wonder what magical versions of Moties would be like in the Dresdenverse.  Obviously engineers would become thaumaturgists.  Bit OT though.