Author Topic: Confusion  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
Confusion
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:06:38 AM »
Okay, so i'm really confused on how to write this:
"Well, they should be worried I thought. Twelve hormonal teenagers their lives in their hands. And I hold their lives in my hands. And a mad woman holds my life in her hands. Damnit, I hate this job."
The twelve hormonal teenagers have control over a highschool and can decide to kill them anytime, and my character has to decide whether or not to kill the twelve kids, but if he does, a mad woman will report him to the supernatural authorities and my character will probably be killed. How would i write this so people don't get confused?
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Online Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 03:35:16 AM »
The only confusion I see is the "their lives" which is referring first to the lives of the HS people and the second time to the 12 teens lives. So try to focus in clarify this

Edit to add a suggestion:
"Well, they have good reasons to be worried about. Their lives were in the hands of twelve hormonal teenagers. And I hold those 12 lives in my hands. Also, a mad woman holds my life in her hands. Damnit, I hate this job"
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:38:19 AM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 03:37:49 AM »
Thanks Dina!
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:33 AM »
You're welcome, I added a suggestion.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
"Well, they should be worried I thought. Twelve hormonal teenagers their lives in their hands. And I hold their lives in my hands. And a mad woman holds my life in her hands. Damnit, I hate this job."

I like the series a great deal, but I tend to like serial set ups. I'd cut to the important stuff by severe editing to let the repeat stand out. Also the first 'their lives' is ambiguous--I first took it to be the twelve themselves, not fellow students.  I'd also seek out a rhythm this sentence structure can support.  AHH, your sequence order is off, I think. hundreds to twelve to one.

Maybe:
"Hundreds of student lives held by twelve homicidal teenagers, twelve teenagers lives held in my hands, and my life held in the hands of a mad woman. Damnit, I hate this job."

I'm finding the "Damn it, I hate this job." too over used. It would be fun to bring hands and lives back in, something like, "That's too many f****** hands and too many f****** lives. Why do I do this?"  Well, depending on the age of your target audience.  I'm YA, remember, but I'm thinking this is older audience for some reason?

OK, revision, revision, revision and now I've stepped over the editor boundary by adding in emotional content. How does this read to you, though?

"Hundreds of terrified student lives held by twelve teenagers, twelve homicidal teenagers lives held in my hands, and my freaking life held in the hands of a mad woman. Damnit, I hate this job."  And in this version--I like the "Damn it I hate this job..." :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »
I like the natural progression that ME is using.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:32:06 AM »
It was a freaking game of mortal dominoes.  Hundred's of student lives under the hands of twelve homicidal teen agers.
Twelve teenage lives under my hands, and my life in the hands of a mad woman.  Damnit, I hate this game.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:32:54 AM »
Okay, that was really funny Snow!

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »
Good or bad?  Was having fun with what you put down.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:38:46 AM »
Good. I'll put it in and see how it fits.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:40:31 AM »
Could also change the last line to - And damnit - I'm bad at games.

Online Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:34:29 AM »
I love your version, Snow.
Missing you, Md