Author Topic: could a bc vamp with magic use clothing wards ?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: could a bc vamp with magic use clothing wards ?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 04:54:22 AM »
And how are they picking it up with A? The whole point of a "standard" ward is that it is a barrier. I would suggest that a warded object couldn't be picked up if it's warded. It's surrounded by a magical barrier that resists with as much force as you try to use to move/grab it, same as if you tried to cross a warded doorway.

Or that's how I've been thinking about it.

My example assumes the ward creator or someone "authorized" to cross the barrier is doing the picking up.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline zcthu3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 04:56:23 AM »
Oh, in that case yes. The ward dissipates harmlessly because the effect is stationary and you just disrupted the web of magical energy holding the ward together.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:59:46 AM »
Warding books and objects seems standard ward practice in the case of most magical fiction. A ward that I could imagine coming up especially on the works of kemmler etc would be something along the line that no one can open the book without the key and breaching the ward will cause an area evocation which will destroy the book. In this case in my opinion the ward would be bound to the book and would dissipate if moved from the book but I don't see any reason the book couldn't be moved.  
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 05:08:32 AM »
the crystal harry has molly use i turncoat has a mobile ward effect  that becomes immobile(ish) one activated.  He explains to Ebeneezer the amount of work he put into making it work "without a threshold' towards the end of the book and it was pretty significant.  Theoretically you could have a ward that doesn't require a threshold, it just lacks clear rules and would take a gm call for difficulty. Protective spells and wards are very different things in dfrpg, wording is important

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 05:52:17 PM »
nevermind
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
the crystal harry has molly use i turncoat has a mobile ward effect  that becomes immobile(ish) one activated.  He explains to Ebeneezer the amount of work he put into making it work "without a threshold' towards the end of the book and it was pretty significant.  Theoretically you could have a ward that doesn't require a threshold, it just lacks clear rules and would take a gm call for difficulty. Protective spells and wards are very different things in dfrpg, wording is important

I forget: how big was the area of effect?

Edit: also, would it - in the DFRPG rules - actually be considered a "Ward"?

Or could that crystal simply be modeled as a "potion" (one-time use enchanted item) providing a Block which was presumably strengthened considerably by Harry's Declarations about how much work went into it?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:20:47 PM by devonapple »

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
Or could that crystal simply be modeled as a "potion" (one-time use enchanted item) providing a Block which was presumably strengthened considerably by Harry's Declarations about how much work went into it?
I think that's actually how I would model it - a block against anything coming within 10' of the caster - including projectiles and psychic powers. Say that Harry spent a buttload of a long time on it and it might even have a block value of 20 or so.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Oh, in that case yes. The ward dissipates harmlessly because the effect is stationary and you just disrupted the web of magical energy holding the ward together.

Good, so that eliminates the "hand grenade" effect.

Offline zcthu3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »
Yup.

I feel that a ward is different from a block/armour. I always envision them as a complicated web of magical energy over whatever (be it threshold, doorway or object) it is protecting. Disturb the "anchors" to that web, and the ward collapses - hence why they can't be moved.