Author Topic: The Accountable Writing Bar for bragging rights or sympathy hugs...  (Read 15181 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: The Accountable Writing Bar for bragging rights or sympathy hugs...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »
Hey! It's Neuro! 

Welcome back~ :D

Thank you kindly.

I am still up to my eyes and not likely to be around much for the next bit, fwiw.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »
Currently working on a long-awaited Cyberpunk screenplay: 4 years, 6 page one rewrites, 1 hard drive crash, 4 different pieces of screenwriting software, countless hours of research and 1 Oral Defense in the making.

Long time coming. It's my baby and she's almost finished.

Then I'm going to trade her for money. Or at least try....
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
:-)  Neuro! 
I fear that I let it fall too. I've been enmeshed in my other hobby--horses.  I have to get that short story off though, dang it.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Nicodemus Carpenter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:32 PM »
Started compiling a lot of loose documents and handwritten papers into a comprehensive story bible using wikidpad.  Spent about 3 hours with it yesterday and made some good progress.  I also got 554 words written on a scene that might just end up in the story.  It's a ton of fun going over all my random-ass notes, especially when I find something I honestly can't remember having written.  Most of the time they're the "I'm glad I found this before anyone else could read this crap" kind of discoveries, but every once in a while I find something and think "Wow! That came from me? I'm sortof impressed with myself."
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:19 AM »
Currently working on a long-awaited Cyberpunk screenplay: 4 years, 6 page one rewrites, 1 hard drive crash, 4 different pieces of screenwriting software, countless hours of research and 1 Oral Defense in the making.
And a partridge in a pear tree?  LOL  I love it! You've gone through writer's hell, so welcome to the light of day once more! Hope all goes well with the defense.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 04:16:48 AM »
And a partridge in a pear tree?  LOL  I love it! You've gone through writer's hell, so welcome to the light of day once more! Hope all goes well with the defense.

Thanks Meg. :) That hard drive crash happened halfway through the quarter btw, causing one of the page one rewrites. Forcing me to write 118 pages in less than two weeks.  *shutter*......

But, I already went through the Oral Defense.

Best summarized by the first reaction at the Oral Defense. One of my professors has never given me above a 3.0 on ANYTHING. He's not a hardass or an overly strict grader, I just didn't hit the mark high enough. Said professor was one of the Faculty Members that went over my Screenplay. His words were the first to be uttered, and I quote,

"I really like this screenplay. I want to make this movie..."

That was a year ago.... I haven't sold it yet because it needs another rewrite for a Female lead character(This must be done) and the more important reason that as much as I want to transition to full-time authorhood, working for Google pays a lot better and more consistently at the moment. Another reason being that selling it would mean moving....again....for the 4th time in 5 years.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »
Seven more chapters first-passed Thursday.  It would have been more but i got interrupted and put off my stride by urgent tax things which needed printing immediately that night.

The plan is to do more today, but I'm not going to be able to settle down until I have been out and about for a bit, and am currently waiting for the rain to stop.  I would like to get to chapter 20 before the end of the day, which would be two-thirds of the way through.

[ The normal write-Fridays plan gets changed on long weekends when Friday is a holiday to write-Thu-and-Sat, and this year Jean-Baptiste and Canada Day are both Fridays. ]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:12:37 PM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »
Eight more chapters this afternoon, which puts me at chapter 20.  (For those playing along at home, the chapter numbers won't add up, because there's a separate thread with different numbering, which has seven chapters interspersed with the others.) Not sure I will do any more today, I am a mite headachey.

Offline Nicodemus Carpenter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
And to think, I was proud of my 2k words =(

Not to mention that those 2k words aren't anything that  I'll ever be able to publish =(

sigh.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:50 AM »
And to think, I was proud of my 2k words =(
Not to mention that those 2k words aren't anything that  I'll ever be able to publish =(
sigh.

The project I am doing line edits on now is one I first started writing nearly ten years ago.   Getting 2kwords done is no small thing, and it does add up over time.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
Uhm... New YA advanced writing class through Mediabistro with St Martin's editor Brendan Deneen that starts July 7th. In the last twelve months has completed 13 deals--most scifi/fantasy.  Should I or shouldn't I, and money might be an issue for me. Anyone interested in taking the class with me?  You can find details at mediabistro.com, click online classes, scroll until you find it. The staff assured me that every week my assignment (10 pages, plus you must crit everyone's 10 pages every week as well) will be read and critiqued by Brendan. I'd need a completed outline for my Hamlet YA...   

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:26 PM »
I'm currently at 8,697 words after three days of work. Is that good?
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
I'm currently at 8,697 words after three days of work. Is that good?
Pace of writing varies from person to person.  Daily wordcount for me can vary a lot on whether I have a clear idea of what I'm writing or not, and if I'm rewriting from an earlier draft.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 03:19:40 AM »
SHS - yes.
Congrats!
Lanodantheon - cool!
Nuero - as always that is great
Nic - yes to the 2K words. I am not able to keep track by words. I just write for one to two hours in the morning, generally finished one scene each time. The turtle works too. Hang in there and congrats!

And with that many blasted exclamation points, I'd better sign off...

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 05:35:57 AM »
First round of this pass finished.

The last third of the thing is generally pretty smooth, other than one chapter where there's a conversation that slows down pacing; I want pacing slowed because it's the lull after they think the main issues are resolved and before they realise the way they will turn out not to be, but it may be too much.  And I need to rethink one ship name that does not work, and I need to possibly slightly change the balance in the second-last chapter for thematic echo reasons.  And I need to shuffle some meals around, because I am a person who really likes food and tend to write food I like pretty much intuitively, and while it is an objective fact that tempura lotus root is delicious and any of my characters would be happy to have some, it has occurred to me that when you are trying to evoke the Odyssey, who does the actual eating of lotus has a certain significance that fits some places much better than others.

Most of the work still needing done is going to go on the first few chapters, I think.  But it's another long weekend, and this much done today means an earned pause tomorrow yay.