Author Topic: WCV and pregnancy  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
WCV and pregnancy
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
I'm assuming that since WCV is a family trait (so to speak) that there's no issues with them becoming preg.  Is there any idea of how long gestation takes?  I'm assuming like humans but in case its already established somewhere I'm curious.

In our game, the Winter Knight was being kind of prickish to the WCV so she "tagged and bagged" him.  Mab, who was privy to all things, likes the idea of having her paws firmly on a WCV spawn (and member of the family in charge of the city, however young) and tilted the odds.

So I'm curious, mainly so I can adjust the time flow in the game to incorporate the child.  I don't want to rush it, but I don't want it to take so long in game time that it becomes a non-issue.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Re: WCV and pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 03:30:30 PM »
I would say WCV and Human pregnancies take the same time and are much of a muchness - however in your situation you have Faerie involved so all bets are off - the mother could go to sleep unaware she is pregnant and be 9 months gone when she wakes up the next morning.
But that would be a little obvious that something strange was going on..

Based on some of the teenage mothers I have encountered through work, You could have her 'looking a bit fat' and discovering she is six months gone after a few weeks. (No really it does happen!) After then the 'size of the bulge' starts being a bit of an issue;  (From personal experience) after 7 months the pregnancy becomes a real pain in the bladder, especially in hot weather, and mum is not really 'combat ready'. Finally babies born at 36 weeks are considered full term so you could have a birth with fully healthy child then.
So looking at things that way, you could do the whole process from "What do you mean I'm not fat I'm pregnant?" to changing nappies in 2 months of game time.
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
One thing that I've been speculating on for a while is that I think WCV have some control over their fertility, given their general lifestyles and such.  Harry's surprised at how infrequently Daddy Raith spawned, Thomas thinks nothing of bedding a random jogger, etc and so forth, in a race where family is a Big Deal.  Just a thought.
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
It may depend on the Spirit within the WCV as well.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
If the gestation time were anything but very similar, I think you'd run into an issue. Having a WCV in the first place who knows nothing is a lot harder if every member of the family who gets knocked up takes 5 months or 15 months to birth a child. And I think it being easy to not know is considered part of the standard setting (you're free to alter of course, it's your game).

Honestly it's not terribly difficult to avoid becoming pregnant as a normal human. There are a number of easy options either partner can use and that's not taking into consideration anything supernatural or a white court vampire feeding off of a same sex partner.

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 11:59:31 PM »

Honestly it's not terribly difficult to avoid becoming pregnant as a normal human. There are a number of easy options either partner can use and that's not taking into consideration anything supernatural or a white court vampire feeding off of a same sex partner.

Its not difficult when proper precautions are taken.  That's not the case here.  Winter Knight pisses off WVC, WCV hits him with Incite Lust and Feeds off him.  It was down and dirty and basically moved our "show" from a network to cable.  Then Mab got involved (using up some Debt that the Knight had incurred...love free Compels). 

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:32:12 AM »
Oh sorry, that wasn't a criticism of your idea. More a reply to another comment. If Mab blew a compel just to give the guy a child, he most likely got off really easy. She could've probably given him quintuplets without much effort on her part. :)

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »
Not terribly different now, but that's a relatively recent development for ease. The Pill wasn't even approved in the United States until 1960, so anytime before that and it's going to be much more difficult to make absolutely sure of non-conception. Given that Harry was surprised by the rather small number of children a certain WCV had, I'm guessing that either they're not very fertile or they have some supernatural method to decrease accidents. Even if that supernatural method is merely an innate sense of when, exactly, to Pull Out, that's still supernatural. Especially, seeing as coitus interruptus has a worse than 25% chance of failure, being able to control with that method would be ... yeah ... rather supernatural.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 03:29:42 AM »
I don't see WCV getting pregnant (or siring children) the way normal mortals do.

The low number of WCV that Harry sees, combined with the fact that regardless of her lifespan a female has a finite supply of eggs, has me thinking that WCV pregnancy is a carefully planned event.  I'm thinking that they need a lot of power to transfer the demon with the seed (or to nurture the demon in the womb) so successful breeding would be carefully staged...

Of course a Fairy Queen has the power to say "it happens" and it will happen, but in normal circumstances I see it requiring more effort than normal sex.  Say feeding heavily followed by not feeding while breeding? Something like that.

Richard

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
Also need to consider the fact that they only have to touch someone there really is no need to actually do anything else to feed...  Unless ofcourse you are trying to dominate them completely like what Lara did to daddy dearest. 

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
Also need to consider the fact that they only have to touch someone there really is no need to actually do anything else to feed...  Unless ofcourse you are trying to dominate them completely like what Lara did to daddy dearest. 

Actually, ours doesn`t need to touch people either:)

The main issue was the WK being a prick to her and her deciding to show him that he was, in fact, her bitch.  Now its going to get all political because Mab stuck her nose in, which is awesome as it tightens the nooses around two PC necks instead of just one.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »
Both of those characters are PCs?
I missed that before, I guess.
Did both of them get fate points (/reduced debt)?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:02 AM »
My opinion is that WCV (of either gender) probably do not reproduce without making a concerted effort to.  My only evidence for this is the relative rarity of WCVs; if it weren't true it seems as though the world would be drowning in them.

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »
Both of those characters are PCs?
I missed that before, I guess.
Did both of them get fate points (/reduced debt)?

WCV got Fate, Winter Knight got reduced debt, I got to pull two PCs kicking and screaming into the machinations between the White Court and the Winter Fae.  They were both trying their best to stay out of it, but now they have a kid on the way that both sides want....well its pretty easy to make things all kinds of messy:)

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
After what thomas said in changes i was under the impression the whites had more deificulty breeding then humans.