Author Topic: Does being published as a game writer hurt or help as a novelist?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
I am about to submit a novel for consideration, and am wondering how the agent/publisher will react to the fact that I am previously published as an RPG writer, especially since the novels are set in the same universe as the flagship game I wrote the setting and background for. To clarify before it's asked- I own the rights to the setting, and have complete control over the intellectual property, so there will be no conflict of interest. None of the characters of the novels are featured in the game, so there's no conflict there, either. Thoughts?
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Does being published as a game writer hurt or help as a novelist?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
There are others here that will have far greater knowledge of legal ramifications and the like but I would think that, like any other book, it would depend on how much they liked the book. If it's good enough, I don't think they will care where it's set as long as you own the rights to it as you previously stated. If it's a popular RPG it might even be a plus. The book would start out with a ready made fan base.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:19:40 AM »
We sold out of the first printing in four days, so I'd hazard to say it is at least somewhat attractive to the audience. I guess my concern was whether they would see it as competition since it is published through another company, or if they would see it as a plus due to the pre-established audience.
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »
I write Offical Battletech Fiction -- At least you have the advantage of deciding what happens in your universe. Me, I have to make sure my stories don't interfere with  BT canon and future events..... ;)

Fiction in support of gaming lines isn't new. You own the IP, so you don't have to worry about stepping on someone elses toes. In fact, you might want to go with that approach -- "Based on (Name of the RPG)" If people like the novel, they may start looking around for the RPG. Unless the RPG itself is someone else's IP. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
Why not query Fred (Iago) on this? If anyone would know, he would. I'm sure he would reply to a pm.  

My first thought is it might muddy the waters and the agent might not want to take the time to research the ownership writes rights, but on the other hand if you have a set audience already in place, then I WOULD PUSH IT. I would state this is an offshoot of a popular RPG game that you wrote. List the number of buyers, who it appeals to etc. Those factors would indicate to an agent and to a future editor that there is already a market that they can BUILD on.  

Over all, if you handle it right, I think it would be a positive.  Fred might know for sure though.

ga-dahhhh for edit
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 11:42:29 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
I say submit it. The worst they can do is send a rejection. Or like I mentioned last time you asked-find an agent/editor where they're available to answer that sorta questions, and ask there.  Another thing-try submitting the query to one of the query places, like queryshark, and see if you get a response there about it.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:17:51 AM »
it was theoretical last time, this time its in practice :)