Author Topic: Building NON-challenging, but interesting encounters  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Building NON-challenging, but interesting encounters
« on: June 10, 2011, 05:53:10 AM »
Not every encounter should be an all out fight against superior forces that require every tool just to survive, let alone win.

There should be some encounters where the players, either individually or as a group, can feel casually effective.

In encounters where the players are unlikely to lose, the objective will be to win as well as possible.  To win without property damage.  To win without endangering people, or exposing the players' secrets.  To win and catch the criminals, as distinct from merely thwarting them.  To capture prisoners and get information, instead of merely putting them away, and better, getting the information without the criminals realizing it.

Players should have the option of, "do we beat up this petty thug and capture them, or just knock them down, let them THINK they successfully played dead, while in reality we are set up to stealthily track him back to his lair.

Thinking about encounters like that also gives ideas for powerful bad guys, who have more in mind than simply beating up the heroes.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Building NON-challenging, but interesting encounters
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:25:03 PM »
I like weak opponents who are faster than the players for quick fights. It lets the players win in a curbstompy way without making the fight one-sided.

Another thing I've tried is compelling the player not to use the most effective strategy. For example, I once compelled a very subtle WCV to use mundane social combat rather than an Incite Emotion-based mind-crush.

Offline Bubba Amon Hotep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:46:49 AM »
I enjoy non-challenging encounters.  Players tend to over think them and miss the subtle points you are throwing at them, plus it adds a little comfort and trust in the players abilities.

For instance:  My players once got pulled over by a sheriff of a small town on the drive back to Dallas.  The Van they were driving was smoking badly and sputtering. (compel on the wizard because of his aura).  Insert easy Social Conflict.  The officer takes time to do a couple of navel gazing actions and applies some temp aspects on himself.  "respect the badge" and "I am the law".  Once his hat is straight he approaches the Van.  The players assume, the officer is simply wanting safe vehicles on the road, and will question them about it.  A few rolls later the players win the trust of the officer and avoid a ticket.  As the scene is ending.  The van won't start.  Stranding the party in the small town while they wait for the Van to be fixed.    Cue social conflict #2.  The tow truck driver/mechanic.  He wants to over charge the city slickers and make some easy money.  The players again win the social conflict and talk him down to minimal repairs and set a 1 day time frame.

What do these have to do with anything?  They are means of easy player challenges that move the plot forward, and keep them involved.  Not to mention encourage both role playing and roll playing.  Plus it allowed me as the GM to introduce the BBEG to the players without them even suspecting a thing.  The sheriff is behind events that will unfold on the day the players are stranded in town.  He has seen faces, knows player names, and is saavy enough to identify a threat to his plans when he sees it.  Now the mysterious ambush at the hotel, the abduction of a player, and other events makes a little more sense in the end.  Not to mention the Scooby Do moment when the BBEG is revealed and the players all go, "Sheriff Withers!" *gasp*  And he would have gotten away with it too!

To sum up, I agree with the line "Not every encounter should be an all out fight against superior forces that require every tool just to survive."  I am a big fan of plot twist, and thinking your way out of situations.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:22:14 AM »
I find that I like non-challenging encounters best if the point of the exercise is what the players choose to do, rather than if they win.