Author Topic: A catch of Decapitation  (Read 3655 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
A catch of Decapitation
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
I was wondering how a catch of Decapitation would work I was thinking in terms of certain Buffy Demons and Highlanders, would any attack targeted to the head work statisfy the catch and what about area attacks?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A catch of Decapitation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
I think that doesn't work very well as a catch for the simple reason that if you've lost your head, you're probably dead anyway, no matter WHAT powers you have (unless you're Wolverine).

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
I know it does not work well as a very common catch in fiction and legends, though usually as a way of keeping the enemy down rather than hurting the enemy more easy, I suppose the catch would be the head.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
Yeah, a catch of "attacks specifically targeting the neck" (or only bladed weapons to the neck, if you want it more narrow) would be more manageable.  Of course, an attacker would have to know that's the catch before they can start declaring their attacks that way.  Also, this would be a relatively high value catch because anyone can target the neck, no special material or power is required.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »
I think decapitation should be something that happens as a taken out result, not during combat.

The Highlander would still be vulnerable, he just has recovery powers, not toughness. Inflict enough stress for a taken out result and then declare the beheading as said result.

The demon on the other hand might be a little tricky, but still manageable. I am assuming a physical immunity except for decapitation. You just have to put enough mental or social consequences (taunting to anger it, deceit to confuse it, etc.) to justify a taken out result and then behead as usual. Or put a grapple on it (trapping it somehow), make a lore assessment and tag it for effect, you won't have to inflict stress, once beheaded the demon is dead. Provided of course, the grapple is strong enough.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02:50 PM »
Decapitation is not unique to the head. Dismemberment is a proper catch for this game system.

Immortals cannot regrow hands, they CAN attach them. Something done not in combat, linked to their Mythic Regeneration. Which they have. not should have, have.

Living dead with, say, condition to be burned to nothing, can attach a head back and sow it or glue it :)
Creatures like a plant monster, or my favorite, a troll. Regrow the head or the body, or both O_o

You should take dismemberment as a catch because decapitation usually means being taken out. No head to see, smell, hear makes you useless.

Minor consequence: Cut fingers, I can't hear anything, Who turned out the lights?
Moderate consequence: Severed hand, Severed foot, There is a piece of my ass missing.
Severe consequence: Severed arm, severed leg. Half of my head is over there.
Extreme consequence: Armless, Legless, "Half of me is dancing, the other is singing", headless - should imply that you are somehow alive.
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
I can see decapitation as a catch for Recovery powers but I don't think it's appropriate for Toughness powers.  When it comes to Toughness catches, the first question I ask is "Can it be weaponized?".  If the answer is anything but an immediate 'yes', it's probably not appropriate.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:48:45 AM »
you don't get to separate them, the catch applies to both toughness and regen.
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 06:53:01 AM »
I can see decapitation as a catch for Recovery powers but I don't think it's appropriate for Toughness powers.  When it comes to Toughness catches, the first question I ask is "Can it be weaponized?".  If the answer is anything but an immediate 'yes', it's probably not appropriate.
I go about it the opposite way. Unless the Catch cannot be used in any way at all as a weapon, whether in physical, mental or social, it is probably appropriate. IIRC, a Catch that is applied to the Recovery power is also applied to the Toughness power if the character has both powers. Even if the catch cannot be physically weaponised, it may still be applicable otherwise as a Compel.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:18 AM »
I prefer asking the question, "How often will having a Catch of 'X' cause trouble for the character?"

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
you don't get to separate them, the catch applies to both toughness and regen.
Not entirely true.  See stacked catches.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »
Stacked catch applies for physical immunity(one catch) and regen,toughness(one catch)

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
tion seems more like a tag that would be added
dead[decapitated]
incapacitated[decapitated]
inconvienienced [decapitated]

A normal human decapitated is probably pretty dead, even a fae or denarian is probably in that same boat
(click to show/hide)
.  A zombie might not need its head, but no head tends to make target tracking & such kindatough, it could still flail though.  Some tougher supernatural critter like a hydra might just be annoyed or grow another if you cut off it's head.  Since I didn't see/notice it mentioned, high caliber weapons & shotgun type weapons could simply explode the head if hit.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 11:18:58 PM »
Stacked catch applies for physical immunity(one catch) and regen,toughness(one catch)
Exactly, that's one obvious example of separate catches.  It's also the only way you gain the refresh rebate of multiple catches.  Stacked catches which negate each other are, of course, "strongly discouraged". 

This is how I (and at least a few others) typically build tough spirits and elemental creatures.  The book example is an immunity to fire and a vulnerability to cold for a fire demon.
--

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 01:51:18 AM »
Exactly, that's one obvious example of separate catches. 
More precisely, a Stacked Catch is also the only RAW example of a seperate Catch that is specifically applied to Physical Immunity.

A character with a Catch (which is distinct and seperate from a Stacked Catch) would apply that same Catch to both Toughness and Recovery powers, if any.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear