Author Topic: Uk Game Expo con game report  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Uk Game Expo con game report
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »
I ran at UK Game Expo this morning
The game was set in my Hangover City setting and the plays were all members Rare Breed. Thank to all of you of you who helped design the characters for this :) check out the request a character freed for details.

They were approached by a panicy woman with an toddler who claims some thing is following them. After a bit of observation they worked out that both the Spirits of chinatown, and the faerie of clubland are after the child, and the two factions have blocked of either end of the street and are facing off to decided who gets the kid by slugging it out on a busy shopping street in broad daylight on a Saturday afternoon.
With a little more questioning they discovered the father of the child was Cale Tien - thus explaining Chinatowns interest, and adding in the fact that the Breed also had a claim on the child.

On questioning Cale they discovered that when they were children Cale technically promised his daughter to Casandra - or at least he said she could not have his sons when she tried to claim his children. They also discovered Cale had been unaware of his fatherhood before their call... So that was a nice surprise :)

So the group found themselves having to decide wether to smuggle child and mother out, or negotiate a solution between the interested parties- or just run away and let chaos reign.

So.. How badly did it all go wrong?

Well the pcs managed to turn every conflict into a social one and thus side step all the fights! Which given they are all technically mortals facing supernaturals wasn't a bad survival tactic,

Father Rocko, after persuading Angela that her daughter needed all the help she could get, baptised the child - thus claiming another soul for the lord and introducing a forth faction into the conflict.

Henry Pym gave into his kleptomania and went to pick pocked the crowd thar had gathered around the Faerie, who had started a spontaneous art event involving a performance of 'Waiting for Godot'. He pulled of a few successful 'dips'  he decided to have a go at Casandra's body guard, who was a lot more observant and captured him. Casandra's then called them to thank them for the hostage and dragged him back to her club.

Abra Cavandish did a lot of running around and talking to factions trying to work out how every one was involved and what claim they have on the toddler.

Pricilla stood guard over mum and baby incase any one tried anything

Terry discovered that Face paint tastes slightly worse than a kebab that has been in the gutter for three days and run over twice.

The final solution was the various factions were invited to provide a 'god parents' to aid in brining up the child Pricilla representing the Breed, Tu Di Gong representing  China Town, and Cassandra taking the role of Faerie Godmother. Father Rocko carried out the ceremony with everyone else throwing in support, and thus creating the aspects for the child's character.

None of the players had played DFRPG before, a few had read the books, one was testing out the game on behalf of a friend who was thinking of buying it - good news is his feed back was positive and his mate will buy.
Two of the players borrowed by book for a look through. They were a little intimidated by how thick the book was as they were playing smaller games like Dogs in the vineyard. But they were impressed by the quality and the contents.
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Re: Uk Game Expo con game report
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
I'm impressed.  It seems like you got a nice, healthy balance of serious store elements and fun like tasting face paint.  You had an interesting conflict, with multiple solutions (some more practical than others).  You tied religion in well without it being in-your-face.  The players had different playing styles, which worked well in this case.  You didn't get any game-breakers either.  Well done, wish I could've been there (kinda an ocean in my way....)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:38:38 AM »
Looks like I should have been quicker with the editing...ah well. Sounds like it didn't matter.

Katarn covered pretty much everything else that I have to say.

PS: How did Priscilla work out? Of all the player characters I like her most (it's my inner munchkin talking) and I'm very curious about how she handled a totally nonviolent story.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 05:59:36 AM »
I'm impressed.  It seems like you got a nice, healthy balance of serious store elements and fun like tasting face paint.  You had an interesting conflict, with multiple solutions (some more practical than others).  You tied religion in well without it being in-your-face.  The players had different playing styles, which worked well in this case.  You didn't get any game-breakers either.  Well done, wish I could've been there (kinda an ocean in my way....)

Actually in the end it all revolved around the baptismal ceremony, but that took place in the christian chapel in china town. Father Rocko's aim was to give the child the protection of The Lord so that no individual faction could gain an over whelming influence over her. As the rest to the PCs agreed they were all tap in aspects of their own and throwing in fate to help his final roll was some where in the region of 17 shifts!
So I think we can assume HE will be paying a close interest.

In about 20 years years game time she is going to be a very interesting character :)
Also, interestingly this ties in with a story arch that happened in the original PBeM version of Darkpool where there was a child that was destined to bring together all the factions in the city under one 'king'...

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 06:35:43 AM »
edit added for clarity -the following is written by Charlotte, who was a player in the game, and not me (Team8mum) who ran it

______

I played Priscilla. I did regret not getting round to causing mass carnage but the others - Abra and Fr Rocco in particular - were just reasonable and persuasive enough that it never seemed quite necessary. Although there were points when she was standing there swinging her foci and fiddling with a nail.

It wasn't something I consciously thought of but Priscilla suddenly identified really strongly with the child. She saw all the different factions fighting for control and matched it to her own experience of being raised with no choice except to follow the path laid out for her. When the rest of the party went off to face Cassandra, Priscilla decided that her priority was to stay with the child and protect her. Cale was later horrified to hear that she'd been picked as a godmother (But you're an unexploded bomb!) and her response was "I'm also someone who knows exactly what it's like to grow up indoctrinated and there's nothing I won't do to make sure that child has free choice." he got the point.

She was a good character to play, there was a lot to work with and I'd definitely be interested in playing her again. Thanks for creating her Sanctaphrax.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:30:37 PM by Team8Mum »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »
Oh, so you GM'ed and played?

Love the angle on Priscilla, by the way. That's a pretty powerful scene.

And I can't take too much credit for her: most of the backstory was you.

So, do you have a continuity of sorts going here? Will future Liverpool games treat this as part of the backstory?

PS: I have trouble associating the name Charlotte with you. Dunno why.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 05:28:31 PM »
Ah.. Well that might be because I'm not Charlotte
(For future reference I'm Sue Wilson)
Charlotte played the character and borrowed my iPad (and thus my account) to reply because I thought it would be better feed back to get it from the player than me.
I'll see if I can get her to sign up here and start her own account :)

My hope is that if I get to dragon meet this year I will run another adventure at submerged level.
All 3 outlines will then act as ideas for different power level of play you have going on in the same setting. So The events so far have not intermingled, but they could in the future.
If I have the time it would be nice to put them together as a 'con pack' of pregened characters and adventure. But now I am working full time I'm not sure how practical that will be.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 03:23:53 AM »
Oh, okay.

Nice to meet you, Charlotte.

And Sue seems totally appropriate to you. Sometimes I wonder if people's personalities are influenced by their names. It often seems that way.

Offline Rafaella

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 10:06:49 AM »
Nice to meet you too, Sanctaphrax. (I'm Charlotte)

This was my first experience of Dresden and I loved it - I'll definitely be there for Sue's submerged game if / when it happens and hopefully bringing Priscilla. She reminded me very strongly of a long-running character I had who had very similar "The best reaction would be to kill everybody but they're all telling me I can't do it" issues. In the end Flame just couldn't handle it & had to be removed from the reality before she caused an apocalypse, but it feels like there's more hope for Priscilla, especially with the child to focus on. I think she learnt from this mission that sometimes words can actually fix things and that she might be able to find another future for herself.