Author Topic: How to simulate super tech, i.e. Iron Man?  (Read 2696 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
How to simulate super tech, i.e. Iron Man?
« on: June 03, 2011, 05:58:28 AM »
Hello all,

Now I know that this doesn't fit the setting for the Dresden Files, but I was interested in putting this together.  I have always been a fan of the Iron Man comic series, and so I decided to break down a way to simulate having access to comic book style super tech for the fate system, and here was my attempt.  Please give me any constructive criticism. 

Name:
Super Tech

Cost:   
3 Refresh

Description:
Mad Scientist covers the ability to create incredibly high tech equipment.  This follows the rules for the Crafting Application of Thaumaturgy except where noted. 

Musts:
You must include an aspect referencing your access to high tech equipment.  This can of course be from making it your self or by working for a group that provides the equipment. 

Skills Affected:
Craftsmanship determines the strength of the item. 

Effects:
This ability comes with 2 free focus item slots, you can design the items that fit into these slots now, or later on during play.  A single focus item slot may be traded in for two enchanted item slots. 

You may purchase refinements to upgrade this power with additional focus item slots, or to purchase specialties in either Power or frequency. 

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How to simulate super tech, i.e. Iron Man?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:00:59 AM »
Why would you make it essentially a restricted form of thaumaturgy (I.E. ritual:crafting) that costs exactly as much as full thaumaturgy?

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:08:32 AM »
Well technically it is Ritual Crafting with a Stunt allowing you to use Craftsmanship rather than Lore for power, and then noting that unlike Ritual you can take refinements for specialties. 

Do you have a suggestion that makes it worth the extra point of refresh?  Perhaps giving it 4 focus item slots rather than 2?

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:23:46 AM »
Another way to do something like this might be to use Human Form, with the limitation "can only change in my workshop".  Then buy whatever powers seem appropriate.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »
That is a good solution Becq, but I wasn't trying to make an Iron Man clone, I was trying to make a power to simulate similar characters, and if we use your method then your stuck using breath weapon. 

If your wanting to simulate Iron Man in that way, I would probably use my power set and an Item of Power with Flight, a few refinements for extra enchanted item slots, and a Strength power, possibly with having the mental stress taken to activate powers multiple times simulating his power supply. 

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
That is a good solution Becq, but I wasn't trying to make an Iron Man clone, I was trying to make a power to simulate similar characters, and if we use your method then your stuck using breath weapon.  

If your wanting to simulate Iron Man in that way, I would probably use my power set and an Item of Power with Flight, a few refinements for extra enchanted item slots, and a Strength power, possibly with having the mental stress taken to activate powers multiple times simulating his power supply.  

Ummm....

If I were GMing, I would not force a character in a super suit to take breath weapons.

If you had regular guns in your suit, I would just say it's a weapon 3 gun... or higher for whatever is appropriate.  Carrying a rifle doesn't cost refresh - why would a gun built into a super suit?

If the player wants to go above a weapon 4, then they would have to pay for that weapon with refresh.

The way I would handle it would be to make the PC mortal, but give him stunts/powers that designate the armor.

To put on the Armor, the player must pay fate points every time they put on the armor.  This allows the player to tinker with his/her armor and make it more or less powerful without having to actually buy new powers.  I would rule that the amount of time it takes to reconfigure the armor would depend on craftsmanship modified by resources.

A human is super armor is NOT supernatural.  While they are out of that armor, it makes no sense to me for them to be anything other than a refresh +2 vanilla mortal.

That said, they can't take too many stunts or they won't be able to put on their armor without going into the red for refresh.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:08:50 AM by BumblingBear »
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »
Ummm....

If I were GMing, I would not force a character in a super suit to take breath weapons.

If you had regular guns in your suit, I would just say it's a weapon 3 gun... or higher for whatever is appropriate.  Carrying a rifle doesn't cost refresh - why would a gun built into a super suit?

If the player wants to go above a weapon 4, then they would have to pay for that weapon with refresh.

The way I would handle it would be to make the PC mortal, but give him stunts/powers that designate the armor.

To put on the Armor, the player must pay fate points every time they put on the armor.  This allows the player to tinker with his/her armor and make it more or less powerful without having to actually buy new powers.  I would rule that the amount of time it takes to reconfigure the armor would depend on craftsmanship modified by resources.

A human is super armor is NOT supernatural.  While they are out of that armor, it makes no sense to me for them to be anything other than a refresh +2 vanilla mortal.

That said, they can't take too many stunts or they won't be able to put on their armor without going into the red for refresh.

I like this.  But not exactly this.

Player isn't a vanilla mortal, they have a supersuit.  That's far from "normal."  Thus, they don't get the +2 refresh (technically, although treating the suit as an IoP means that they sort of do).

Suit is obvious IoP, so +2.  Player can now spend refresh to enhance the suit.  Can either use as Temporary Power (so pay FP for every scene in the suit) or treat as standard IoP.

+1 if suit is Hexable.  Defends against Hexing with Craftsmanship.

You wouldn't have to pay for mundane equipment like Guns, just roll high enough Resources.

Your original power is fine, although I'd make it Hexable and thus reduce the refresh to -2.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
Perhaps Modular Abilities with a Refresh discount for the circumstances under which they can be changed, or at least the IoP Discount. Actually, the IoP discount completely buys off the cost of Modular Abilities, I think, so that's probably sufficient.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »
Perhaps Modular Abilities with a Refresh discount for the circumstances under which they can be changed, or at least the IoP Discount. Actually, the IoP discount completely buys off the cost of Modular Abilities, I think, so that's probably sufficient.

I think this is the best idea.  Modular Abilities as an IoP should work fine.  Include stipulations that the super suit can also have mundane equipment built into it the same as what the character would normally be able to carry around with his resources score or whatever (e.g. guns, tools, etc.).  Also, the character should have an aspect like "I'm nothing without my suit" or "The right tech for the job" that can be compelled for either not having access to the suit, needing time to get the suit on or reconfigured, or for the suit not having a certain power when they'd want it. For example, the player might think Mythic Strength is perfect for the current situation, but the GM may come back with a compel saying "You know, the strength-enhancing servos have been acting up lately, here's a fate point to pick some less-appropriate power to use for this situation."

Offline Wolfwood2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
Modular Abilities as an IoP should work fine.  Include stipulations that the super suit can also have mundane equipment built into it the same as what the character would normally be able to carry around with his resources score or whatever (e.g. guns, tools, etc.).  Also, the character should have an aspect like "I'm nothing without my suit" or "The right tech for the job" that can be compelled for either not having access to the suit, needing time to get the suit on or reconfigured, or for the suit not having a certain power when they'd want it.

That's already built into taking an IoP, as one of the requirements is that you have an aspect referencing the Item of Power.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
How about the off the wall notion of forming tech or other items, even an entire "super suit" out of ectoplasm?

It wouldn't be vulnerable to hexing, but it would be to dispelling, but hexing is easier than dispelling by some degree.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:15:08 PM »
Ryan,
I could see that working but it would have major issues fitting the super science theme. 

For your styling, I could see using something like Human Form, and then having a series of powers attached to it, to make a power armor like suit.  I could see that working, and you could throw on another refresh point discount to show that you can only change shape in your laboratory?

I could see having the power armor be a set of modular abilities to simulate the technology with the Human Guise, and Laboratory restriction. 

Iron Man Suit?
-Human Form: +1
-Laboratory Activation Restriction: +1
-Modular Abilities: 9

Although I think the power set for that would require an additional power/st discussion to deal with having guns and armor, perhaps a combined armor 3, and Weapon 3 power would be 3 points?  I just don't see the toughness powers being appropriate unless you use something like an electricity catch. 

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
Ryan,
I could see that working but it would have major issues fitting the super science theme. 

Why does it have to though?

I was thinking along the lines of the ectoplasm being summoned up as perfectly mundane things pre assembled. So summon an entire tank out of ectoplasm screws, engine, treads and shells crafted out of the stuff. So the supersuit or super science construct still functions on the normal laws of physics( or super laws ) and is governed by them but is made of ectoplasm material.

I imagine it would require intense concentration, a pre done thaum ritual or some crazy kind of sponsored magic though. I'm sure the library could do it though.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
Keep in mind that ectoplasm (a) shows up as such to certain senses like the Sight, (b) can be dispelled, and (c) typically disolves into goo at the next sunrise.  On the plus side, it should be hex-proof...

Offline JustADude

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 01:25:30 AM »
Keep in mind that ectoplasm (a) shows up as such to certain senses like the Sight, (b) can be dispelled, and (c) typically disolves into goo at the next sunrise.  On the plus side, it should be hex-proof...

Now I'm imagining Stark catching up with sunset while going supersonic and passing the Day/Night 'threshold', causing his suit to dissolve and leaving him SooL 60,000 feet in the air going Mach 8.