Author Topic: A small snag  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Gnome

• Participant
  • Gnomes arent allowed on the White Council v_T
    • View Profile
A small snag
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »
I cannot write unless im alone

Does anyone else have this problem?  It drives me insane when i even THINK someones watching me write and i cant function properly.  As a result, i cant write anything at all until everyone else is out of the house.  That leaves me a very short window of time to get anything done.  Any solutions?  or do i just deal with it?   Help?

The Gnome
You know what stops an axe wielding maniac?  Bullets

Offline fairyfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A small snag
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:44:56 PM »
Um,  lock yourself in the bathroom?   Ok, ok, it can be a non-toilet room.   ;)

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:06:13 AM »
I feel your pain. I live with my brother and his gf and my brother is, well franklly a prick. He mocks me a lot about my writing which he assures me is bad, so in the interest of my sanity I only write when he's gone or sleeping which leaves me with a short window as well, unless I wanted to give up things like eating and sleeping and showering.

Offline CynDe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »
I would take a notebook to someplace like the library, or a laptop to a coffee shop and work there. No one will care what you are doing; you can write in anonymous bliss.

Offline Gnome

• Participant
  • Gnomes arent allowed on the White Council v_T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:35:17 AM »
Thanks guys, those are good ideas.  Now to go find a cafe.
You know what stops an axe wielding maniac?  Bullets

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:49:55 AM »
Even when the house is quiet enough for me to get some writing done I usually manage to just goof off any way. Like take now for example, I could be working but I'm not.

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »
Worse than your predicament.... I find that I do my best writing when I'm supposed to be doing something else.  ie: When I'm at work, surrounded by people, and should be intently scrutinizing loan files   I'm so gonna get fired someday.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 03:34:08 PM »
Thanks guys, those are good ideas.  Now to go find a cafe.

I find I do best at a good old fashioned greasy spoon diner, where you can sit for as long as you want on a bottomless cup of coffee.  I have settled in at Perkins, at Table 71 that's in the corner AND blocked off from the rest of the dining room by a partition of wall behind both booths.  I also Like Borders Bookstore here in town, only they have no bottomless coffee and it's expensive when I work for 5 or 6 hours.  But I think the energy of a bookstore helps, being surrounded by all the works of other people.

I've never been able to write at home, because that's my place for relaxing, not productivity.  It's just the wrong vibe.  However, I am getting an apartment by myself at the beginning of May, so maybe the lack of roommates will help. 
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
I feel your pain. I live with my brother and his gf and my brother is, well franklly a prick. He mocks me a lot about my writing which he assures me is bad, so in the interest of my sanity I only write when he's gone or sleeping which leaves me with a short window as well, unless I wanted to give up things like eating and sleeping and showering.

What a jerk, no offense.  But you know, maybe your bro is just jealous of you because you have a hobby and a dream, and a talent.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »
None taken. I could not agree more.