Author Topic: Tutor me please  (Read 11380 times)

Offline hitokiri523

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Tutor me please
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
yah with him guns, fists, and i agree with endurance and athletics, discipline and conviction,
a little bit of driving since hes on a road trip and some investigative skills would help since he is trying to figure out what happen all that time ago and hes trying to find the weakness < or catch of every monster >
lore is gonna be low since he just knows for a fact that zombies are real.
ill look into the skills when i have some more free time. for him probably trick shot for one.
hmmm ok for guest star slots
hmmmmm

Guest Star #1 Damien Thomas
Background: The bastard son of a truck driver and a stripper. Raised on tv dinners and educated through Juvie and loopholes in the edgucation system to help poor kids still go to school. He worked as hard as a kid his age could just so he could feed himself when his mother was passed out drunk and his dad  left them. Nothing but hand me down clothes and barely any time to play as a kid his age should. This past has made him a glass half empty type that beleives he has to fight and struggle to gain anything in his life
Aspect: Yah its a tough world so what?
Rising Conflict: Finally 18 and nothing but a sea bag full of clothes he stole fromgoodwill he set out on his own and was able to apprentice at a bailbond enforcement business. starting with nothing but paperwork and keeping the coffe hot living out of an apparment with more cockroaches than plumbing. He caught a break when one of the bountry hunters broke a leg and Damien jumped in to help having just barely gotten his license to enforce. He caught the man in an hour. He finally found something to make his own.
Aspect: I am a Hunter
First Story: The hunt that was going to get him to the big time a six figure paycheck and a tip to where the guy was staying. He was so pumped to get there he didnt see the light turn red and crashed into a 16 wheeler. In the hospital for a month he began worried for his eyesight. Because he started noticing that if he looked at people hard enough they started glowing different colors. Trying to figure what was going on he walked into the occult section of Barns and Noble and realized he could see auras. And if he concentrated hard enough he could look at auras from a persons personal object he could follow their aura. With this trick he has caught every bounty he has been sent after except for one guy that killed himself rather than going back to prison.,
Aspect: Cant hide from me

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
The guest star isn't another character you make - you hand your PC to another player and he writes a story that includes the two of you doing something together.

Which is why the character creation process is community one.  It's hard to make a PC without two or three other players.

Richard

Offline hitokiri523

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »
Guest star #2
Amanda Miller
Background: Raised by a mother who was an artist with several succesful paintings and a father who drew comics for DC she didnt struggle against pursuing creativity. Finger painting and macoroni art turned into scetching and paintings. Even a small study of famouse artists and a small adventure into photography. She quickly began to show great skill with an amazing eye for detail.
Aspect: I have an eye for detail what can i say
Rising Conflict: College was coming to a close and still she had no idea what to do with a bachelor degree in art. Even though it was her dream there werent too many jobs open with the economy in its present state. One of her friends who was now working at a police station and recomended to her that she would be perfect as a scetch artists for witnesses. She quickly began well known for ability. Producing several scetches that led to the arrest of several wanted fellons. she was even adding details to the sketches that the witnesses didnt even describe to her or didnt notice they fellon had.
Aspect: The pencil knows all
First Story: Her life changed when her police officer friend was attacked with a baseball bat and put in a coma. She spent days by her bedside waiting for her to wake up. It had been a week and still no sign of recovery. She kissed herfriends forhead and felt a jolt of electricity go through her and she immediately grabbed her scetch pad and worked at amazing pace scethching a face she had never seen before but she knew that it was the man that had attacked her friend. She turned it in to the police station as an anonymous tip and the man was caught in 24 hours. Ever since then she has been able to sketch pictures of fellons with an amazing amount of detail. even from witnesses that didnt get a clear look at the fellon, forgot details, or even repressed memories due to the horific nature of the crimes they witnessed.
Aspect: Let me see who did it
< so what do you think? >

Offline hitokiri523

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »
The guest star isn't another character you make - you hand your PC to another player and he writes a story that includes the two of you doing something together.

Which is why the character creation process is community one.  It's hard to make a PC without two or three other players.

Richard

oh.......
well.......
shit.......
lol well now i know what that means and have two cool npc's .

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
You could also use them as guest stars - if you're doing the entire character yourself as a learning exercise.  That way you end up with three PCs

EG:
Jones Rosser - main character
Then a phase that includes Damien Thomas as Guest Star #1
Then a phase that includes Amanda Miller as Guest Star #2

Damien Thomas - main character
Then a phase that includes Amanda Miller as Guest Star #1
Then a phase that includes Jones Rosser as Guest Star #2

Amanda Miller - main character
Then a phase that includes Jones Rosser as Guest Star #1
Then a phase that includes Damien Thomas as Guest Star #2

That way you've built three characters...  But if you were playing in a game it would two other players doing those phases for you and you doing the "Jones Rosser as Guest Star" phases for them.

Hoping that makes sense,

Richard

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »
I hope this isn't too presumptuous of me, but I would like to ask if I could get in on the whole "Tutoring" thing. I feel I have a fairly good grasp of the rules, but I just need some first hand experience.

That said Hito, feel free to use my character, Ryan, for one of your guest starring aspects. If this is okay with you I can stat him up right quick. What power level will we be playing at? (This is assuming it is alright for me to join up, if you have something else in mind, please ignore this post and let me just wish you luck!  :) )

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 12:05:28 AM »
Someone should post the madlib thingy* for creating the guest star narrative.

*Edit: Story Skeleton
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:29:49 AM by noclue »

Offline hitokiri523

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 06:23:13 AM »
its fine with me for anyone to join up on this if they wanto to learn but Team8mum is kinda the teacher here so its up to him really.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 07:21:58 AM »
its fine with me for anyone to join up on this if they wanto to learn but Team8mum is kinda the teacher here so its up to him really.
Her. Mum. I'm a her.
And I'm not 'teaching' I'm just breaking down the process.
:)
I'm in no way an expert on this system- there are much better people round here for that. But I have spent a lot of my life helping people unlock ideas and discover thier own creativity.

JayTee can handle all that 'rulesy' stuff. :)

Given jones is pretty new at all this, how about we set the level at chest deep.
JayTee can you give us a Ryan at that level?

Any one interested in getting involved but who find coming up with a character hard could look at Amanda or Damian. Both of them are really nice ideas.
Mechanics wise - how would you handle those abilities?
 I guess Amanda is some variant on psychometry but using 'people' as the objects and her craftsmanship to produce the images.
Aura reading? Some variant on sight? A supernatural sense?

I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline hitokiri523

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:15 AM »
yes with the aura reading its basically the sight with him able to activate it and turn it off but it just doesnt give the depth that the true sight does. And he is able to stare at a personal object and find their aura and track them down with that. Supernatural creatures would have a weird aura that defenately sticks out against a normal aura.
And perfectly put with amanda. Its basically retro cognition that is activated through touch and she uses her drawing ability to show everyone else what she saw.
and sorry for calling you a he my bad.
and im alll up for more poeple joining in.
So whats next?

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
and sorry for calling you a he my bad.
That's ok your far from the first.
:)
I was demoing at Con-quest and had my name down on the GM sign up sheet as Sue and Still got a "Wow a female GM" off a player arriving at the table.
Sadly we are still something of a novelty.

I am reliably informed there are more female players in the live action community but I'm bit too long in the tooth for all that running around in a field crap now. :)
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline hitokiri523

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
haha well it happens. maybe you just need to put female under your screen name. lol
so whats the next step?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »
I am reliably informed there are more female players in the live action community but I'm bit too long in the tooth for all that running around in a field crap now. :)

We hold all of our LARPs indoors, and boffer weapons are not a component of the game.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 01:32:28 AM »
Give me a power level and I'll take a shot at statting these fellows.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 04:42:23 AM »
Apologies for my late reply, a few personal issues took up my attention. As an apology, I've built not one, not two, but THREE characters at Chest Deep level for this exercise.

Name: Ryan Green
Template: Pure Mortal
Hight Concept: Hunter of the Strange
Trouble: Supernatural Magnet
Aspects:
Old Military family;
Obfuscating Stupidity;
Terrible Planner, Fantastic Improviser;
Prep and Skill Trump Magic;
Don't Mess with me and Mine.

Skills:

4: Fists, Guns, Weapons
3: Alertness, Athletics, Endurance
2: Discipline, Deceit, Lore
1: Presence, Conviction, Empathy

Stunts:
To be determined

Refresh: - 10

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Template: Champion of God
Hight Concept: The Practical Parishioner
Trouble: Don't be a dick, Lord
Aspects:
Obfuscating Stupidity;
A little Knowledge can be a dangerous thing;
Friends everywhere, Enemies everywhere else;
Risk makes things fun!

Skills:

4: Conviction, Guns, Weapons
3: Alertness, Athletics, Endurance
2: Discipline, Deceit, Lore
1: Presence, Contacts, Empathy

Stunts:
To be determined

Powers
Bless This House -1
Guide My Hand -1
Righteousness -2
Holy Touch -1

Refresh: - 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Template: Thaumaturgist
Hight Concept: Practitioner on the Go
Trouble: Hot Warden chick wants my head
Aspects:
Obfuscating Stupidity;
A little Knowledge can be a dangerous thing;
The Laws Apply to Mortals only?
Don't Mess with me and Mine.

Skills:
4: Discipline, Lore, Conviction
3: Athletics, Alertness, Endurance
2: Deceit, Weapons, Empathy
1: Presence, Fists, Resources

Stunts:
Small Arms Expert: Use Weapons instead of Guns for Pistols and (at GMs discretion) SMGs

Powers

Thaumaturgy - 3

Refresh:  - 4

You May have noticed that other than a few details here and there the characters are more or less the same! This is because, quite frankly, they are. I've been Role Playing with Ryan for a good five years using collaborative writing and I have a fairly good grasp of his personality and thought process. The rest is just details!  ;D

I've left a few things unfinished simply because I would like to know which character others would be interested in using before I slam down the final details. I am most interested in playing the Thaumaturgist simply because I like the concept of Thaumaturgy a lot. That said I've noticed that the common consensus is that Thaumaturgy tends to disrupt gameplay, so to mitigate that I'll likely put every point of Refinement into focus items to help smooth things along.

Questions? Comments? Disparaging remarks about my mother?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:55:08 AM by JayTee »