Author Topic: Tutor me please  (Read 11574 times)

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
Re: Tutor me please
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »
Upon reflection of a few things, I've decided to use Bob's Build for this game (assuming we'll be having one). I also would like to thank Bob again for all the time and energy he's put into this.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2011, 04:46:52 PM »
reworked/formatted Olaf skills and abilities based on feedback.

human form skill config  ()'s denote a skill shuffling in wolf form
1: Performance, Conviction, Presence, Empathy, Rapport
2:zresources, Contacts, Alertness, Discipline, Contacts, resources(stealth)
3: Endurance, Deceit(survival)
4: Scholarship(fists)

P Stress: 4
M Stress: 3
S Stress: 3

Beast Change [–1]
ŠŠEchoes of the Beast(Wolf) [–1]
Inhuman Recovery([-2]
Catch: Silver heals normally [+2]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Claws [–1]
Pack Instincts [–1]
Human Form [+1][No: Inhuman speed/strength, claws, pack instincts]
refresh:1
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:56:38 PM by tetrasodium »

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23:16 AM »
That looks like only 25 skill points, not 30

Looks dropping inhuman toughness means that the value of your catch maxes out at +1.  You have to pay at least one net point for your toughness powers.  Yes, this does mean that inhuman toughness + inhuman recovery with a catch of silver costs the same as just inhuman recovery with a catch of silver.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:20 AM »

Looks dropping inhuman toughness means that the value of your catch maxes out at +1.  You have to pay at least one net point for your toughness powers.  Yes, this does mean that inhuman toughness + inhuman recovery with a catch of silver costs the same as just inhuman recovery with a catch of silver.
That doesn't make sense and I'm not sure I understand how your getting +1.  inhuman recovery still costs -2 recovery but  the "Musts: You must attach this power to a Catch(see this page)." with it being "The Catch [+varies]", both on YS185  The catch is a completely different power rather than a modifier like human form's Regular joe(YS176) where you can get between +0 and +1 depending on how much is locked away in that form. rather than the catch being a power modifier like  regular joe.  It has a + varies with "If the Catch is bypassed by something that anyone could reasonably get access to, but usually doesn’t carry on them(like cold iron), you get a +2. If it is by passed by something only a rare class of people in the world have (like TrueMagic), you get a +1."  silver is definitely reasonably accessible.  If this isn't just a case of mistaken bundling, I  can buy a single catch applying to all of the inhuman recovery/toughness type powers rather than being able to take it for each power like I initially thought it could be taken but I'm not sure where your getting that +1 from.

As for skills:
human form skill config  ()'s denote a skill shuffling in wolf form
1*7: Performance, Conviction, Presence, Empathy, Rapport, investigation, intimidation
2*5: Contacts, Alertness, Discipline, Contacts, resources(stealth)
3*3: Endurance, Deceit(survival), Discipline,
4*1: Scholarship(fists)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:06:11 AM by tetrasodium »

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2011, 02:22:42 AM »
Yes, but the 'maximum refund' you can get from a catch is always the total of your toughness powers minus one.

So, for example, if you powers looked like:
[-2] Inhuman Recovery
[+1]  The Catch: Silver (+2 Common, +1 Research; Max 1)

Total Cost: -1

You can only get +1 back from the catch, even though it's technically worth 3 points.

So, if your powers look like:
[-2] Inhuman Recovery
[-2] Inhuman Toughness
[+3] The Catch: Silver (+2 Common, +1 Research; Max 3)

Total Cost: -1

---------------

On skills:

In general, it's the skills that are at three or higher that are important, since they are the skills that you can usually do stuff with without having to spend a FATE point.  A pure mortal with few stunts can 'afford' to have a lot of skills at two because they can always drop a fate point for a +2 to whatever skill they happen to need at the moment.  That's one of the advantages of having a lot of refresh lying around.  But for any character build with only 1 refresh free, you can't really count on having a fate point to use up on whatever skill you happen to need.  So most power heavy builds are concerned with having a skill pyramid that maxes out the number of high (good or better) skills they have.

So, for example, if your skills look like:

Human Form:
4: Burglary, Deceit, Scholarship
3: Athletics, Endurance, Investigation
2: Alertness, Discipline, Resources
1: Conviction, Presence, Empathy

Then the skills you can count on are (Burglary, Deceit, Scholarship; Athletics, Endurance, Investigation) and any other skill, you'd probably need to use a FATE point on to get success.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:27 AM »
Yes, but the 'maximum refund' you can get from a catch is always the total of your toughness powers minus one.
Can you tell me where your getting that from?.. and whoops, your mention of athletics made me realize I left it out entirely

I went with the ()'s to denote the skill shuffle that goes with the change because it seemed like a cleaner display and was kind of just a condensed version of how Billy & Georgia were listed in OW. There is a little bit of reason behind the madness, the skill shuffle can not raise a knowledge or social skill on the "beast"  side of the shuffle but I wanted the wolf side to be able to do some noncombat social type stuff like pose as a service animal and similar for investigating and such where it will probably involve using a tag like walked in with shiftchange crowd by an old lady  and such. Service dogs with the vest are like Janitors with a trashcan/mop effectively invisible until they do something strange.  Plus, the social prospects  for a wolf are fairly limited without speech and talking to the average canine/lupine type critter (through echoes of the beast)isn't exactly going to be talking with him
(click to show/hide)
like in changes. dogs might be pretty smart sometimes but they aren't exactly villians, and any doglike villian is probably going o be more of a loup garou or hexenwolf type variety you prpbably don't much want to talk to any more than that crazy violent pcp user charging you.

skills: whoops... looks like I left out burglary when I changed the format and added some other stufff in its place, fixed below

Human Form:
4: Burglary, Scholarship
3: Athletics, Deceit, Endurance, Presence, resources
2: Alertness, Discipline, Investigation, Might
1: Conviction, Empathy, Performance, Presence, Rapport, discipline, guns

Wolf Form
4: Fists
3: Athletics, Endurance, Burglary, stealth
2 Alertness, Discipline, Might, Presence,  Survival
1: Conviction, Empathy, Performance, Presence, Rapport, Investigation
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:40:21 AM by tetrasodium »

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2011, 04:39:12 AM »
Can you tell me where your getting that from?.. and whoops, your mention of athletics made me realize I left it out entirely

YS 185

[qupte]
Catches cannot reduce the total cost of your Toughness powers below –1. You may specify more than one Catch if you so choose, but you can only receive the discount once; take the best one.
[/quote]

And note that both 'toughness' and 'recovery' powers both fall under the general heading of 'toughness powers'.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2011, 04:56:01 AM »
YS 185

[qupte]
Catches cannot reduce the total cost of your Toughness powers below –1. You may specify more than one Catch if you so choose, but you can only receive the discount once; take the best one.

And note that both 'toughness' and 'recovery' powers both fall under the general heading of 'toughness powers'.

Ahh, I' using the pdf and didn't notice that up there.  I'd probably drop the recovery/catch thing seeing/knowing that now

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2011, 03:31:05 AM »
Tetra your fixed skills total 38. You also aren't following the pyramid rule. For every +4 skill you need to have a +1,+2, and a +3 first. 

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2011, 03:34:32 AM »
To clarify what I meant you have 4 +2 skills and 5 +3 skills. Every +3 needs to have a +2 and a +1 underneath it. 

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2011, 06:41:29 AM »
Interesting stuff, but I'm not sure it's very helpful for the OP, assuming he's still around.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 06:43:24 AM by noclue »