Have Tickets and Room
2 (25%)
Not Going
1 (12.5%)
Will Try To Find A Way
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 12, 2011, 05:09:29 AM

Author Topic: Videos Added From San Diego 2011 Comic Con  (Read 34207 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: San Diego 2011 Comic Con
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
I bring you Patrick Rothfuss Riding a Mechanical Bull at Comic Con 2011

Edit:  Also from Comic Con:  Patrick Rothfuss reads one of his humor columns from his college days. This is the story of the guinea pigs.

Holding in the laughter at my desk is making my eyes water

YAY, THE BULL VIDEO IS PUBLIC!  The Suvudu guy showed it to Jim and me on his phone.  I'm so glad Pat okayed sharing it with the world. :D

And dear god, that guinea pig story had me laughing so hard I was CRYING.  W00tstock was freaking exemplary this year.  I hope they invite Pat back.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
And dear god, that guinea pig story had me laughing so hard I was CRYING.  W00tstock was freaking exemplary this year.  I hope they invite Pat back.

Ok, glad I'm not the only one.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
That is just great, I loved the bull riding vid, he seems like a real down to earth guy! Thanks Pris!
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline Intempesta Nox

• Participant
  • @IntempestaNox
    • View Profile
    • Intempesta Nox - The Dead of Night (the blog)
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
Back to the ol' grindstone, but I did catch the bullriding vid (heh heh) a few minutes ago and thought "Hey, didn't I just see that guy?"  I remembered him from the panel just prior to Jim's in 6A.  Pat was hi-larious, and he seemed to intimidated the beardless authors that were with him (with the beard, of course).  Does his sense of humor leak into his books?  If so I just might have to check them out.

Had a great time at SDCC, though this year was very different than my first (2009).  Saw a lot of different panels, and experienced a lot of surprises too.  Got to talk briefly with Jim just prior to his signing up in the Sails Pavilion, and got him to sign my copy of Storm Front, meaning my life is now (closer to) complete.   ;D

Twas good meeting you Priscilla, and catching a few folks here and there who recognized my cosplay (in the frigging line for JB - nowhere else...lol). 

Saving the world since 1977.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
Ok, glad I'm not the only one.
That had me laughing my ass off too. And then in intermission, Pat jumped off the stage, and walked back into the crowd to say hi to everyone on the way out.

Other highlights from this year: Seeing Peter Dinklage walk by in line while in line to the Nerdist podcast live. The Podcast itself was a highlight, as Wil Wheaton and Mike Phirman was there, and it was almost a mini-w00tstock on that right. Then Matt Smith and Karen Gillan showed up at the podcast and talked Dr Who. At the end, they served the audience fish burritos. (sans custard)

On Saturday Beth and I stopped by the Penguin Booth and got to Meet Pricsellie and Anne Sowards, and while were there Seanan McGuire and Jim showed up, and we hung out a talked for about 10 minutes. I also attended the Kim Harrison Panel and won a copy of the new Graphic novel for asking a question. The Game of Thrones panel was awesome and I now officially have a man-crush on Jason Momoa. I'm sure I am forgetting so much stuff right now, just tired from the long trip back.

Already looking forward to next year.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2011, 10:32:37 PM »
Back to the ol' grindstone, but I did catch the bullriding vid (heh heh) a few minutes ago and thought "Hey, didn't I just see that guy?"  I remembered him from the panel just prior to Jim's in 6A.  Pat was hi-larious, and he seemed to intimidated the beardless authors that were with him (with the beard, of course).  Does his sense of humor leak into his books?  If so I just might have to check them out.

The only beardless author on the Epic Fantasy panel was Chris Paolini!  Well, and K.J. Taylor, but she is a lady. :D  Chris said he had beard envy. 

Offline Kellhound

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Sorcery 101
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »
It was super nice meeting you at SDCC, Priscellie. Glad you like the Molly I gave you and I hope you enjoy the book.

I'm super glad I got my book signed. Now I just got to get the other on signed at the New York one. I'll see you there.
I make a comic about an inept Sorcerer learning magic from an angsty vampire. You can read it at http://www.sorcery101.net/sorcery101/s101chapter1/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:32 AM »
The only beardless author on the Epic Fantasy panel was Chris Paolini!  Well, and K.J. Taylor, but she is a lady. :D  Chris said he had beard envy. 

Properly bearded = passport to awesome. They just won't let me travel there.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2011, 12:25:20 PM »
It was super nice meeting you at SDCC, Priscellie. Glad you like the Molly I gave you and I hope you enjoy the book.

I'm super glad I got my book signed. Now I just got to get the other on signed at the New York one. I'll see you there.

Thank you so much for the book and for my Molly!  I'm delighted that I'll be seeing you again in NY.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
Well I've no plans to share my horrid recording of the event.  Most of the time, you can't make out what's being said & it'd be a waste of effort trying to get it on-line.

Questions I could make out: (Paraphrased)
What's it like to work with a collaborator (between novel & comic)?
Views on electronic readers?
How do you translate written humor into visual (from novel to comic)?

The responses are mostly garbled & I'll have to listen a few times before I make any sense of it.  Plus, I might need to track down some audio of Jim Butcher talking, since it wasn't like they announced themselves before speaking.

All-in-all, the forum was very much on-topic & did not stray from the  panel discussion point of Books vs. Graphic Novels and Comics.

I missed out entirely on the Penguin books panel.  Mostly because I was about to pass out & wanted to catch the Batman Year 1, first showing.  Rather than the encore event.

Still, if somebody was there, maybe they could confirm or deny if Butcher was a surprise guest.  He wasn't on the docket, but Conan showed up at the animated Green Lantern panel, so I've no clue.

And aside from showing a animated clip of the Flaming C in action, I've no idea why Conan was at that particular panel.

Kevin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:12:23 PM by KevinSig »

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Jim was not at the Penguin Panel, it was just Anne, and another editor and marketing person from Penguin whose names I forget now. They did give away two copies of Ghost Story though.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
Jim was not at the Penguin Panel, it was just Anne, and another editor and marketing person from Penguin whose names I forget now. They did give away two copies of Ghost Story though.

No big loss then, since I already had gotten mine by that point.

Offline Murphy Fan

• Participant
  • Bay Area
    • View Profile
Re: Videos Added From San Diego 2011 Comic Con
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
Update:
 (click to show/hide)

VIDEOS FROM 2011 COMIC CON PANEL WITH JIM BUTCHER

http://www.youtube.com/user/Wiz2Dresden?feature=mhee#p/u

Not edited and low rez but includes most of the time Jim is speaking

Enjoy