Have Tickets and Room
2 (25%)
Not Going
1 (12.5%)
Will Try To Find A Way
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 12, 2011, 05:09:29 AM

Author Topic: Videos Added From San Diego 2011 Comic Con  (Read 34215 times)

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
Re: San Diego 2011 Comic Con
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
I used to go every year, but missed one, and haven't been able to get tickets since.

Hoping to talk someone who is going this year into buying me tickets for next year.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Murphy Fan

• Participant
  • Bay Area
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
Last year at SDCC 2010, I and my wife both had to provide Driver Licenses (CA) that they scanned in along with Visa CC as part of buy tickets for this year.

I understand they do it in part to prevent ticket scalpers.

A friend works CC in the Gaming Area. (Yes they have a few rooms for Role Playing and Board Games at CC).

I wonder if Jim will run a game at CC :> That would be a great party !

Brent and Karen

Offline giapet

• Lurker
  • Professional geek.
    • View Profile
    • Gia Manry: Professional Geek
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
I wonder if Jim will run a game at CC :> That would be a great party !

Brent and Karen

That'd be fun, but I suspect you'd get too many people wanting to play! Maybe if you pitted a few parties against one another or something ;)

Offline CrabbyRat

• Participant
  • I Ron Nickel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 01:18:23 AM »
I understand they do it in part to prevent ticket scalpers.

What was happening was that people would get tickets online, and then sell that on eBay, get money for it, and then show up earlier than the person they sold the ticket to, and then that person's barcode would already be swiped as in.  OR, they'd just sell copies of the badges.  (The badges have a special cut for authenticity).

To get a press pass, you need to either show creds from the publication, or, if you write for a website, you have to show the website you write for and that you are a writer for it (business card, letter from site stating you're a writer for them, etc.).  CC's idea is that the more press, and electronic FAR outnumbers regular press, the better publicity for CC.  Of course, it's now sort of backfired, because they get SO much press, and Hollywood's come a-knocking, that the press aren't geeks anymore, but all the obnoxious pretty people from E! or Entertainment Tonight with their hair extensions and phaliic microphones.  The incidence of creepy stalker types has grown as well, not to mention violence - someone got stabbed in the eye in Hall H last year, right before Harrison Ford came on. 

But yeah, people buy tickets for the following year's Comic Con the year before now.  Hotels are a total gamble.  You have to wait until the day they announce rooms in March (Travel Planners is the company) and then everyone throws in with their picks, crashes the server, and then you get a room (hopefully) by lottery's pick.  Which pretty much guarantees you don't get a hotel within walking distance, because all the studios have blocked out rooms for their peeps, shows, actors, etc. 

125,000 attendees descend on San Diego that weekend, and that's not counting the exhibitors, press, professionals (studios, actors, producers, writers, publishers) and redshirts (that's what we call the security people, cuz they wear red golf shirts with ELITE on the back) that are there as well.   

But the best advice of all for CC - comfortable walking shoes.  ;)
"I love deadlines.  I love the sound they make when they go whizzing by."  Douglas Adams

Offline giapet

• Lurker
  • Professional geek.
    • View Profile
    • Gia Manry: Professional Geek
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 02:53:10 AM »
To get a press pass, you need to either show creds from the publication, or, if you write for a website, you have to show the website you write for and that you are a writer for it (business card, letter from site stating you're a writer for them, etc.).  CC's idea is that the more press, and electronic FAR outnumbers regular press, the better publicity for CC.  Of course, it's now sort of backfired, because they get SO much press, and Hollywood's come a-knocking, that the press aren't geeks anymore, but all the obnoxious pretty people from E! or Entertainment Tonight with their hair extensions and phaliic microphones.

Speak for yourself! I am 100% grade-A geek meat-- and professional journalist. :)

That said, it sounds like there might be a slightly smaller Hollywood quotient this year; a couple of companies (including Warner Bros.) will still be present in the exhibit hall, but won't be making a big presentation of any upcoming flicks.

Offline CrabbyRat

• Participant
  • I Ron Nickel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 05:36:50 AM »
That said, it sounds like there might be a slightly smaller Hollywood quotient this year; a couple of companies (including Warner Bros.) will still be present in the exhibit hall, but won't be making a big presentation of any upcoming flicks.
Would that they would just stay in the exhibit hall.  They're in the press rooms, crashing questions over the geek press at their tables.
"I love deadlines.  I love the sound they make when they go whizzing by."  Douglas Adams

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »
Last year at SDCC 2010, I and my wife both had to provide Driver Licenses (CA) that they scanned in along with Visa CC as part of buy tickets for this year.

So no dice on sending a friend?  Or can I just send them with my DL and a CC?

I used to just have to pick up a form and return it by the end of the con :(
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »
All tickets--even single-day tickets--sold out for SDCC months in advance.  SDCC is crazypants.
it was worse than that this year.  When they went to sell tickets, their site crashed twice.  They then went to Leapfrog to sell the tickets, but even borrowing server space from Amazon.com wasn't enough.

The system was cleary overloaded.  Had to refresh at each step of the process to get anywhere.  Glad I had the day off, since it took 2 hours to sign up.

Think they sold out in a matter of hours.

(Of course, this doesn't count the at convention passes.  Which are sold at show.  However, the show is so popular now, those seem to be unfair to those who can't attend.)

Update:
While tickets aren't currently available, apparently more passes will be for sale in the near future.
At this time we expect to have 1,500 4-day badges available for purchase.
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_reg.php

(BTW: Has there been any update in regards if Jim will attend?)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:29:56 PM by KevinSig »

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
I'm hoping to get a 4-day or a Friday.
- Marie Curie

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
Sorry for this late notice, but I'd only just found out.  Tickets will go on sale, I think in the next 20 minutes (assuming I'm reading the website right).

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_reg_resales.php

The note, as I read it suggests that tickets will go for sale @ 10:00am PST, and that's basically 1:00 EST, which is 15 minutes away.

Just checked, and Tickets are for Sale NOW!

Unless the stie crashes and/or freezes, then it'll likely get pushed back.

Also, a bit of advice, if they use the same service for ticket sign up (Leapfrog, or Leap something), I recommend that you refresh at every step until you get an active screen.  That's the only way I was able to get my pass, at least.  

Kevin
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:01:58 PM by KevinSig »

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
It's Epic, there's a waiting room system, and they'll be gone soon.  Out of morbid curiosity, tried to get in line at 10:05, and ended up #5800 (for 1500 tix). 
- Marie Curie

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
Tix are now sold out. Thankfullly I was able to get a 4 day pass. Single day passes will go onsale soon - possible over the weekend but likely next week. I am been following @Comic-con on twitter and had twitter text my phone when they post. They posted 1 hour before tix went on sale, so if you want to get a single day, I would do the same.

By the way, once you get into the waiting room, DO NOT REFRESH. If you do, you will go to the end of the line.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 08:33:17 PM »
Tix are now sold out. Thankfullly I was able to get a 4 day pass. Single day passes will go onsale soon - possible over the weekend but likely next week. I am been following @Comic-con on twitter and had twitter text my phone when they post. They posted 1 hour before tix went on sale, so if you want to get a single day, I would do the same.

By the way, once you get into the waiting room, DO NOT REFRESH. If you do, you will go to the end of the line.

I wasn't sure about the set up.  Since that wasn't how it worked when I originally signed up (back in Feburuary) & this is the first year that Leapfrog(? or whoever) has been handling things for Comic Con.

Prior years have been Travel Partners, if I recall.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:24 PM »
So any news yet on if Jim will be attending? It's only 23 days to the show!
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 11:06:48 PM »
So any news yet on if Jim will be attending? It's only 23 days to the show!

Well I know from past years, SDCC generally doesn't list all the events or guests until right before the convention (usually a week or two).  This is the first time I've known of possible attendee in advance.

I mean, it'll be no shocker if Seth MacFarlane or the Mythbusters show, since they've shown for the last three years.  But from what I see, all the listed guests have something to do with the comics industry.  And from memory, I think that's the way it always is.