Author Topic: Magical "lockdown" as in Blood Rites  (Read 4803 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Magical "lockdown" as in Blood Rites
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
But only those that *crossed* the threshold.

I agree.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Warderbrad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
Perhaps someone with a better memory or the books handy could confirm this: didn't Dresden, while discussing the subject, indicate that the loss of magic lasted for some extended period of time, reqardless of what the Wizard did thereafter?  I think it was when Murphy was concerned about Dresden being impersonated by a spirit, and Dresden stepped into her house without invitation to prove he was human, knowing that the loss of magic would leave him vulnerable even after he'd left the house?

Quote from: Butcher-Summer-Knight-Chapter7
I got it then. Murphy wasn't going to ask me in. There are plenty of monsters running around in the dark that can't violate the threshold of a home if they aren't invited in. One of them had caught up to Murphy last year, nearly killing her, and it had been wearing my face when it did it. No wonder she didn't look exactly overjoyed to see me.
"Murph," I said, "relax. It's me. Hell's bells, there isn't anything that I can think of that would mimic me looking like this. Even demonic fiends from the nether regions of hell have some taste."
I stepped across her threshold. Something tugged at me as I did, an intangible, invisible energy. It slowed me down a little, and I had to make an effort to push through it. That's what a threshold is like. One like it surrounds every home, a field of energy that keeps out unwanted magical forces. Some places have more of a threshold than others. My apartment, for example, didn't have much of a threshold—it's a bachelor pad, and whatever domestic energy is responsible for such things doesn't seem to settle down as well in rental spaces and lone dwellings. Murphy's house had a heavy field surrounding it. It had a life of its own; it had history. It was a home, not just a place to live.
I crossed her threshold uninvited, and I left a lot of my power at the door as I did. I would have to really push to make even the simplest of spells work within. I stepped inside and spread my hands. "Do I pass inspection?"
It never says that it lasts longer than the wizard stays in the home which created the threshold, in fact it says leaves it at the door, which is more akin to the gun and bouncer analogy.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 09:02:57 AM »
In Blood Rites, Dresden seems to have no problems casting evocation while inside the building. This means, assuming the "lockdown" is in place at all, that it can be directed against one specific individual.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »
I don't think the lockdown in BR was a threshold, because as I said before, the building didn't have a threshold to work with. And if Ebenezar did a block on the place, he would certainly account for Harry and exclude him from the lockdown. It would, under the circumstances, be a whole lot easier in any case, because what link would he have had to target Mavra?
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
It would, under the circumstances, be a whole lot easier in any case, because what link would he have had to target Mavra?
Gee, why would the wetworks man of the White Council have a sample of one of the biggest threats from the more-or-less defunct Black Court? :P

Although, I think it's as easy as taking into account what Harry noticed, what the Black Court (and the Red, IIRC) uses for magic is not tapping the same source as Mortal Magic. What Ebenezer could have been doing was placing a several-zone's wide block against Vampire Magic, or against the source of Mavra's magic. Seeing as he's more than likely fought a Black Court sorcerer (and maybe even fought Mavra), he knows what he's blocking against.
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
"Snarky Tone", Considering she is still alive, I doubt that they have fought before. 

(Just kidding around but think about it during Changes,
(click to show/hide)

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 07:46:40 PM »
She had to perfect the "Oh, wait, that was a fake me you killed" technique somewhere. :P
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
So, the lockdown seemed a rather standard thing, and without a ritual link.

I'd see it as a block against ritual magic, or putting power into ritual magic, specifically.
Or creating a Special Skill of Non-evocation counter magic, that the person doing lockdown then used for the scene.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »
Yes, it must have been either specifically targeted towards Mavra or a general area block against only Thaumaturgy (is that possible?) as Harry was able to use Evocation while inside.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »
Mavra was a known sorceress with impressive evocation-like powers.  If only thaumaturgy had been affected, why did she not bring those powers to bear?  And why, with Mavra being known to have impressive evocation-like powers, would Eb only block thaumaturgy, even assuming that doing so would be possible?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »
How about this? (maybe not exactly what was done, but a good approximation)

Magic Lockdown
Complexity 22
12 shift block vs. Magic
Target All Black Court Vamps in Building

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
Was Mavra successfully Locked down? I personally don't beleive so.

(click to show/hide)

Hmmmmm????

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 12:52:20 AM »
As I recall, Eb specifically mentioned that he did not believe he would be successful at completely shutting her down, but that he would at the least dampen her power significantly.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:16 AM »
The problem with targeting Marva or BCVs in general, is where is the ritual link?

NicholasQuinn

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
From Blood Rites:
(click to show/hide)

Would seem he doesn't need one. Or at least, that is one of the implicit suggestions. Although on the same page (269) he confesses he wouldn't be able to fully lock her down, and she might still remain 'annoying'.