Linked Events

• Signing in Boston, MA: August 03, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Boston (Cambridge), MA on 8/3  (Read 24707 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Signing in Boston (Cambridge), MA on 8/3
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
Wednesday, August 3, 2011, 7:00 PM
Harvard COOP B&N
1400 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-499-2000
http://harvardcoopbooks.bncollege.com/

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
Re: Signing in Boston (Cambridge), MA on 8/3
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
and I'll there
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »
So will Chiana and myself!
I am pretty sure I can convince 2 others as well. I might have to go plant little signs in the local bookstores...
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:58:49 AM »
Nothing in Boston until I leave, then....this.
*sigh*
I'm thinking my parents will not be thrilled if I announce I'm coming home.....to go to a book signing.
When they're visiting me not even a month prior.

Oh, well, I suppose I'm happy for all my Dresdenphilic friends still in the area....

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
I. Am. There!!!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:43:38 AM »
So maybe we can do some kind of dinner thing before the main event?
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »
I would love to get together! 
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
i'm up for something before or afterhand
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:20 AM »
Yay!

Add one more to the party. Polka Will Never Die! has said "YES!" to coming with me, so now its just one more from this state that I know of - and he's my friend too, so I will be kidnapping him. So thats 4 from here, plus imp, maybe one other from Boston.  6 wonderful NE fans! bwhahahahaha!

Do you think a small fan "tea" (4pm-ish) would be good? The signing is at 7p, which is damn inconvenient for dinner. (It would be cool to invite the Jim and entourage.) Either way, suggestions would be most appreciated.

I am even taking the day off, which I never do for social things. ;)

Offline afhomer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
I'll try to be there. If people are interested in tea beforehand, there are no shortage of places for it nearby.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »
Another New Englander? Woot!
I'll try to be there. If people are interested in tea beforehand, there are no shortage of places for it nearby.
Any suggestions?

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
i can point in the direction of good bars and greasy food...
Imp's Corner

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
Another New Englander? Woot!Any suggestions?

New-Englander-in-exile, and lived in Cambridge for a few years.

LA Burdick (i.e. "Burdicks")  has legendarily good hot chocolate.

There's a Peets Coffee/Tea in the square, as well as a Ben and Jerry's and a Starbucks in The Garage.  Not much seating or ambiance in the Garage, though. 

Farther away from Harvard Square (about halfway between Central and Kendall), there's Toscanini's--  ice cream and coffee and such.  And Cafe Luna-- the same, but with (at least, the last time I was there...) gelato frappes.

And there's also 1369 Coffeehouse on the Harvard side of Central Square proper.

For slightly more substantial food (and greasy, too!) there's Bartley's burgers on the Central-square-facing side of Harvard Square, and Crazy Dough's pizza in the Garage.  Border Cafe isn't really worth it-- New England-style "Mexican" food.

There are lots of other restaurants up and down Mass Ave., but these are the places that I've actually been to.

Bring up Google Maps centered on Harvard Square and I'm sure that you'll find someplace you want to go.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 10:10:30 PM »
Thank you!

It helps to have someone who has been to these places.
I was thinking maybe something pub-ish but I'm not sure everyone is of age.

Whatever we decide, it needs to be within walking distance since I don't plan on driving. (Or even being mostly sober, but thats still up in the  air...)

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 11:22:37 PM »
"Walking" is a matter of time and fitness.  I used to walk to Harvard Square from MIT along Mass Ave-- takes forty minutes, or so, at a fairly purposeful pace.  There's also the number 1 bus, which goes along Mass Ave., and the Red Line, which will take you all the way out to Route 2, or all the way in to downtown and out the other side.  (But I take your point.)

I can't help you with bars/pubs-- those aren't really places I frequented.  But again, google maps has most of the area restaurants marked and gives a decent compilation of reviews and comments on a place if you click on the label on the map.  There are some real dive-y looking places along Mass Ave., especially near Central Square, but since I've never been inside, I can't say what they're actually like.  (Central Square is an...interesting...place at night. I don't recommend solo travel in that area, especially if sobriety isn't guaranteed.  Though you'd fit right in with some of the nightlife if you weren't sober.)