Linked Events

• Signing in Boston, MA: August 03, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Boston (Cambridge), MA on 8/3  (Read 24962 times)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Boston (Cambridge), MA on 8/3
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
I think I'm in info overload!

I wish I had more time to poke around town before the big event.
I also just saw that William Gibson will be there Thursday night. ARGH!! I wish I had known before I got train tickets! He is also a fav author. The gods are just playing with me now...

Still wondering about meeting before the event... I think we'll probably end up finding somewhere once we get there and post it here. If anyone is interested in a pre-signing beverage and food of some sort then that would be very cool! PM me if you have ideas or just want a heads up when we figure it out!

Looking forward to meeting other forum peeps....
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline delenntoo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
I'll be driving down from Nashua, NH (about an hour's drive) with my son, Gary, and his wife and 5-year-old son. Gary is the one who got me to read the books and now I'm a bigger fan than him! Maybe I'll even pick up some Burger King crowns! My son is about 6'5", so if you see a really tall, kinda husky guy with longish brown hair and glasses, that is probably him ... and I'll probably be close by.

So, what is this "pre-signing tea" someone mentioned in an earlier post? I won't be able to get there until 6:30 if I'm lucky, since we can't leave Nashua until 5:15 then need to find a parking spot. I hope I'll get to meet all of you who are attending!

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
for pubs/bars in stumbling distance that i can do, my fav place is right in the square.

Tommy Doyles,   good food too

I think this is the 'tea' since timing puts us at either late afternoon or AFTER the signing. Both of which are agreeable options!!

I'll be driving down from Nashua, NH (about an hour's drive) with my son, Gary, and his wife and 5-year-old son. Gary is the one who got me to read the books and now I'm a bigger fan than him! Maybe I'll even pick up some Burger King crowns! My son is about 6'5", so if you see a really tall, kinda husky guy with longish brown hair and glasses, that is probably him ... and I'll probably be close by.

So, what is this "pre-signing tea" someone mentioned in an earlier post? I won't be able to get there until 6:30 if I'm lucky, since we can't leave Nashua until 5:15 then need to find a parking spot. I hope I'll get to meet all of you who are attending!

The signing starts at 7p. I have NO IDEA how crowded it will be so we (myself and 2 other Mainers) will probably try to be at the bookstore around 5-5:30ish. We will most likely be honoring our Celtic heritage by hitting the Tommy Doyles by 4 or so.

Hopefully we will see other forum-ites there! If not look for the people with crowns. ;) (Crowns made of what I can't say, but there will be crowns. Oh yes, there will be crowns.... )

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize in advance. (Blanket apology, just in case.)

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline snarlingC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »
Hi,

Pardon the N00b.  :o Does anyone know if Mr. Buther will only sign one book or if he will sign 2?

If it helps, there is a long sobbing backstory involving a sister-in-law who died before Ghost Story came out, and her 16 year old son who is just now reading books his momma loved.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 12:11:05 AM »
Hi,

Pardon the N00b.  :o Does anyone know if Mr. Buther will only sign one book or if he will sign 2?

If it helps, there is a long sobbing backstory involving a sister-in-law who died before Ghost Story came out, and her 16 year old son who is just now reading books his momma loved.

I think it depends on the crowd. The contact person at the store said there wasn't a purchase requirement, but all of the other B&N stores have one. I'm pretty sure that given the situation the books will be signed. Considering Jim dedicated 2 books to the forum and then one of the forum members who died I think you shouldn't worry.

Don't worry... we'll get them signed. :D

Offline snarlingC

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 12:55:20 AM »
I think it depends on the crowd. The contact person at the store said there wasn't a purchase requirement, but all of the other B&N stores have one. I'm pretty sure that given the situation the books will be signed. Considering Jim dedicated 2 books to the forum and then one of the forum members who died I think you shouldn't worry.

Don't worry... we'll get them signed. :D

Well.  It's complicated.  DH flew up to Cambridge for the signing.  He and my BFF were supposed to go to the signing.  BFF isn't really into Butcher's books.  DH and I discussed it a couple of months ago and said we'd get BFF to get the book for nephew and see if we could possibly get some kind of "To Dear Nephew for Dear SIL" inside.  I thought DH and BFF discussed it; that was the impression I was given.

Well, I found out TODAY that DH and BFF did NOT talk; BFF promised a signed copy to another of our BFF's a couple of weeks ago.  This wouldn't be a big, huge deal, except that nephew visited with us last week and I let the news about the book signing slip.

DH said he'd give up his copy for nephew, but I know this is a big, huge major deal to DH.  I'd be there if I could, but I have to work.

My DSIL was an avid fan; I think she was on these boards, but don't really know.  I know this isn't a big thing, but for some reason, it's just got me all verklempf and upset.  For some reason, every time I think about how much DSIL was looking forward to this book I get weepy and mildly irrational.

DH won't ask for special favors.  I suspect he'll just silently give up his one chance at having Mr. Butcher sign his book rather than ask for a special favor.  I am a different story, however.  I'll give you his name and someone can embarrass him if necessary, but I really hope I can get two copies signed.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
PM me! I can buy 2 copies and get one signed for you.
Let me know who it is... I am not afraid to do a loud "Excuse me but is ______ here?"

Offline usndonut

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 04:43:36 AM »
I've never been to a signing. Is there going to be Q&A or only book signing? I guess I'm just wondering what to expect.

Offline dawnsister

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »
I will also be there this afternoon, along with one or two other friends.  :0)

Offline Waxbullet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
I thought I would be able to get out of the doctors appointment my wife made, but no such luck.  Sorry, I wont be in attendance tonight.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »
Hi,

At the signings I've been to, and what Priscellie always says--Jim will sign 3 items at a time per person, and if you have more than 3, he's more than willing to sign them, but you have to go to the back of the line.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Bayani

• Participant
  • Financial Vigilante
    • View Profile
    • Division 401 Group Page
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »
At the signings I've been to, and what Priscellie always says--Jim will sign 3 items at a time per person, and if you have more than 3, he's more than willing to sign them, but you have to go to the back of the line.

Aha, good to know.

*leafs through his collection* Since my girlfriend will be with me, I could get Welcome to the Jungle, Sidejobs, and my Science Fiction Book Club collection signed. Good enough for me.

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
making my first post because I'm going to the signing tonight! Just a recommendation for food/beverage, Russell House Tavern is a half block away from the Coop and has great food and drink choices.

I'll probably be getting up there around 5:30 or so, will everyone already be in the store?
If the building's on fire, it probably is my fault.

Quote from: AcornArmy
We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.

Offline delenntoo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »
I can't *wait* for tonight! So far I have a list of the following forum members attending:

dagaetech
Bayani
dawnsister
usndonut
Fyrchick
Imp
starzchild508
doh573
Paine
KJKid
Kellhound
Crow

Did I miss anyone?

Offline Crow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
I am at Tommy Doyles now . The space at the coop isn't very big so best to get there early to get a spot
There is the world that is and the world that should be. We live in one and must creat the other if it is ever to be