Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63135 times)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2011, 03:29:23 AM »
Who?!?
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline doink67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2011, 04:16:15 AM »
I lied about going to sleep. Stupid caffeine.
(click to show/hide)

I'm sure there were other new tidbits, but I was standing at the back and couldn't hear everything. Myrrdin was up towards the front video taping it and Serack was also up towards the front, so I'm sure they can be of more use for new tidbits...  :D
I could barely hear anything, and I was immediately behind that island thing near the escalator, so I have to ask, who?
I wonder if Group 10 is still there?
DV doink67 v1.2 YR4 FR2 BK++ RP JB TH++ WG+ CL-- SW BC MC++++
"What would you like your name to be, Cross Wishbone Wishbone Cup of Tea Snake Sigma Snake Cross?"-Priscellie
"Do you know who keeps the gate?""Keeps the gate?""Keeps the gate.""Yes, I know who keeps the gate, he lives near the Outside."

Offline GraveyardKing

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2011, 05:07:19 AM »
Wooo!  That was awesome!  I actually got all 12 of the books I brought signed and I got to talk to Jim and Fred Hicks!  I'm definitely going to be more active in all of this stuff, now.

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2011, 05:21:14 AM »
I lied about going to sleep. Stupid caffeine.I could barely hear anything, and I was immediately behind that island thing near the escalator, so I have to ask, who?
I wonder if Group 10 is still there?

I as behind Group 13 to get a photo of Jim & my Daughter from MarsCon signed.  They wouldn't let me get it signed when I went through in Group 2.  It wasn't a book, therefore I couldn't get it signed.  Bitter, nah.  Got it signed in the end.

I listened to the audio on my Flip on the way back from DC, sounds good.  Gotta get that ripped & posted.

I think Jim broke out "I'm not going to tell you" at least 6 times!  Who's on the hit list was one time.

First sentence of Cold Days,
(click to show/hide)

I'll get more posted tomorrow. Today. Later Today, you know what I mean...

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »
We finished signing with about two minutes to go before B&N closed—I was the last fan out of there. :P

I was in group 2 and stuck around to talk with Fred and Jim more after things calmed down a bit.  I /think/ there were only 12 groups, and they said they had 25 people per group.  There may have been 13.  But yes, I have pics, I have vids, and they will get posted.  (I was standing maybe seven feet from Jim, so for those of you who were in the back and couldn't hear, be sure to spread word about the vids once they get uploaded!)

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »
Going through the vids, and I am going to apologize for a few things.  1) I should have set the camera on the bookshelf behind me, as I do NOT the best camera hand, between laughing and juggling the camera from sweaty palm to sweaty palm.  2) Please forgive the gratuitous amounts of laughter and whispering from behind the camera.  That would be me adding my 2¢ all over the place.  3) I have to edit the vids with windows software, then convert it so I may upload them from my mac.  Things /might/ get wonky in the switchover, we'll see.

Though the video might cause motion sickness, the audio is fine to listen to.  Crank up the volume, and look away. :D

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »
Another potentially very juicy tidbit from Jim:

(click to show/hide)

Disclaimer--I missed the question that was asked, and that was all I heard from Jim's answer (the people next to me were talking and laughing about...chihuahuas...of all things).  From the little bit I got, that seems to answer the question we've had debated pretty heavily here in other threads, as to
(click to show/hide)
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
A ton o' fun.  I,too, foolishly drank a late coffee and didn't get to sleep until 4 AM. I am way too old for that. Great seeing the Marscon crew again! 2012 Boston here we come!
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2011, 02:38:31 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

What a fun evening!  Jim had everyone laughing and cheering!  I loved that he really wanted to chat to each of his fans when they came up to have their book signed.  That was really great!  Thanks Jim!

I wanted to go in and meet you all who met up at GB, but I didn't want to leave my place in line especially after a bunch of us in Group 4 all bonded after getting swamped by that hail storm.  :o  We all stuck together after that and it was fun talking about all things Dresden and other novels. (I'm glad we all agreed that vampires only sparkle when they dress up going to Zero! ;) )

I loved that some people dressed up - I should have known that I could have dressed up as Murphy and fit right in -- next time!!  Myyrdn, you made a great Butters!  And Liz, your ponies are so cool!  Thanks for letting me check them out when I walked by! 

It was so fun to meet other cool nerds like me!  Thanks for a great time! And I can't wait to see the vids (thanks for doing that Myyrdn!) 

If there is another VA/DC/MD meetup, I would totally love to join you all!
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
  • 6/8/07 - Popped my Dresden Cherry!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
I'm sooo bitter!!  I was pulled into a work meeting last minute and couldn't make it!!  I was sooo hyped for this event too!!

I like Sihnon's idea of maybe having another meetup, not necessarily a Jim event, but a Dresden fans event.

If people here are interested in possibly getting together over some adult beverages and food to hang out and talk Dresden and related stuff, please reply and I can look into setting something up!

Offline irisheyes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
I should have joined this group a long time ago. Let alone AFTER he shows up in Va. I need to have more friends that read Dresden.. I was there last night in group 2. I was the one with the button that said Polka will never Die...

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2011, 07:45:20 PM »
Hey guys we had a great time, it was totally worth the drive up there.  Doink67, your mom was awesome and you totally have to bring her to future events.  And for everyone that went to Gordon B's before and after, thanks for a great time.  For those of you who missed it, the Q&A session Myyrdn recorded is definitely worth the listen even if the video isn't up to snuff. 
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline heridfel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
Another potentially very juicy tidbit from Jim:

(click to show/hide)

Disclaimer--I missed the question that was asked, and that was all I heard from Jim's answer (the people next to me were talking and laughing about...chihuahuas...of all things).  From the little bit I got, that seems to answer the question we've had debated pretty heavily here in other threads, as to
(click to show/hide)

I asked specifically on that last point when I was walking through the line.

(click to show/hide)

I was the guy at the front of group 3 in the green shirt. Toe-mas, looks like I found a reason to register. I'm glad one of my questions got answered; I was one of the "I'm not going to tell you" questions from earlier in the session.

Offline lizstaley

• Lurker
  • Webcomic Creator and Writer
    • View Profile
    • Adrastus Comic
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
Wanted to chime in and say that I, too, had a fantastic time last night! It was really great to meet Jim and Fred and a bunch of other fans, though it was incredibly briefly. Wish we'd been able to hang out, but our ride had been up since 2 a.m. and we all had to go to work in the morning.

Thank you so much to everyone who talked to me about Dresden Pony and Bob Pony! Seeing the smiles on people's faces when they noticed him was a treat and I felt really good about all the lovely compliments they got. I'm so thankful to Jim, too, for signing the base for me and for seeming to be really tickled by them. (And for not running away! LOL!)

Can't wait to check out some video of the Q&A. I only got to hear half of it and my husband didn't get to hear any of it because of some other things that were going on. What I did hear was awesome and got me salivating to read Ghost Story!

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »
I as behind Group 13 to get a photo of Jim & my Daughter from MarsCon signed.  They wouldn't let me get it signed when I went through in Group 2.  It wasn't a book, therefore I couldn't get it signed.  Bitter, nah.  Got it signed in the end.

I listened to the audio on my Flip on the way back from DC, sounds good.  Gotta get that ripped & posted.

I think Jim broke out "I'm not going to tell you" at least 6 times!  Who's on the hit list was one time.

First sentence of Cold Days,
(click to show/hide)

I'll get more posted tomorrow. Today. Later Today, you know what I mean...

Yay! you got it signed!  i told ya he'd sign it.  i made it home around 1ish and crashed, and burned.  i gave one of my signed books to my friend's daughter who came with, abby.  she was ecstatic.  Toe-mos i owe you one. everyone else, glad you guys had fun. jim's great and fred's awesome.
and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!