Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63184 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Just spoke with someone from the B&N, apparently there's some changes to the event, but this is his latest information:
First, to answer my questions above...

There WILL be a Q&A session held before the signing. 
You will need a wrist band to get into the Q&A.

Here's a rough time line:
5:00 Wrist Band passed out
       This is your "Ticket," It will say Block 1, Block 2, etc.  This tells them what order you'll get signed.
7:00 Q&A to start FOLLOWED by signing.
       Signing will last until everyone is happy or Jim says its time to go. Jim's usual 3 item limit will be enforced.

In regards to buying the book from B&N.  The gentleman I spoke with said that their official policy is that you have to buy the "Featured" book from any B&N or B&N online.

You can get up to 3 items signed, usually the featured book and 2 other items. Unofficially, they've been known to not check your receipt.  I'm not risking it since your wrist band is your "ticket" to the Q&A and without a B&N copy of Ghost Story, you aren't guaranteed a wrist band.

I preordered it for the Nook last weekend and tried to use a 15% off e-cupon only to notice that the fine print said not for nook books.  This made me wonder if that will cause similar problems with getting a proper recipt for the signing (the transaction won't happen until midnight tonight).  I'll wait till after the actual "transaction' before I attempt to get some kind of recipt, then depending on the results of that I might call the store to ensure that what I get is applicable.  Still, I'm worried enough to vent here.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
Don't know if we ever made it on "the list" but my +1 and I will be there...

By "there" do you also mean joining us at the resturant too?
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Cheesepusher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
Just spoke with someone from the B&N, apparently there's some changes to the event, but this is his latest information:

This is your "Ticket," It will say Block 1, Block 2, etc.  This tells them what order you'll get signed.
7:00 Q&A to start FOLLOWED by signing.
       Signing will last until everyone is happy or Jim says its time to go. Jim's usual 3 item limit will be enforced.

In regards to buying the book from B&N.  The gentleman I spoke with said that their official policy is that you have to buy the "Featured" book from any B&N or B&N online.

You can get up to 3 items signed, usually the featured book and 2 other items. Unofficially, they've been known to not check your receipt.  I'm not risking it since your wrist band is your "ticket" to the Q&A and without a B&N copy of Ghost Story, you aren't guaranteed a wrist band.

So, don't mind me if this is a dumb question I've never been to a book signing but seeing as Jim Butcher is my favorite author I am going to take two busses and the metro to make sure I'm there, does this mean that if you arrive at 7 or after 5 you may not get your book signed?
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
So, don't mind me if this is a dumb question I've never been to a book signing but seeing as Jim Butcher is my favorite author I am going to take two busses and the metro to make sure I'm there, does this mean that if you arrive at 7 or after 5 you may not get your book signed?

Congrats on your first post...

You run that risk.  The store is enforcing the wristbands as tickets.  When they run out of wrist bands, they're out.  That being said, an author who shall remain nameless once left a store at closing and went into the parking lot to keep signing books.

Offline Cheesepusher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
Thank you, and hopefully I get out of work on time. According to wmata (washington D.C.s transit website which anyone whos wants to take the metro can use and get decent enough directions) as long as I get out of work on time I should get tehre by 4:30 but with the metro who knows.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
Thank you, and hopefully I get out of work on time. According to wmata (washington D.C.s transit website which anyone whos wants to take the metro can use and get decent enough directions) as long as I get out of work on time I should get tehre by 4:30 but with the metro who knows.

Here's to hoping WMATA gets it right... 

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
I'm so bummed I can't go... :(  Ah well, I'm trying to have a positive attitude.  At least I'll be at the beach for a week, even if it's a week of changing diapers, cooking, and taking care of my little monst...er, my beloved children.  ;D
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline ccalvert

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2011, 04:06:19 AM »

Thanks for getting this information.  Did you happen to ask about the wristband to book ratio?  I ask because my wife and I were planning to come and buy one book to get signed.  We've already ordered the Kindle version, so we don't really need two hard copies.

If you didn't happen to ask, I'll call them and ask, then report here.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
Interesting.  B&N.com is now showing GS as available on August 4th instead of today.  Weird.

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »
Thanks for getting this information.  Did you happen to ask about the wristband to book ratio?  I ask because my wife and I were planning to come and buy one book to get signed.  We've already ordered the Kindle version, so we don't really need two hard copies.

If you didn't happen to ask, I'll call them and ask, then report here.

Apologies, I didn't even think to ask.  That's on the list for the NEXT book signing...  :P

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2011, 12:00:19 PM »
Interesting.  B&N.com is now showing GS as available on August 4th instead of today.  Weird.

Maybe they ran out of copies...?
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »

Uh, yeah, that's not cool.  I had preordered two copies to take to the signing, and when I look at my account, it still shows them with an expected ship date of today...but if I look at the book's listing itself, it says the 4th.

If it doesn't ship today, looks like I'll be canceling the order and going to buy it in person.  Seriously, how hard is it to have the book when it's supposed to be available, especially for preorders?
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
Looks like I'll be making another phone call.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
Okay, the guy I talked to said that there's nothing they can do about it, the site is "correct" for the site.  He recommended calling the 800 number and attempting to get a refund, then picking up the book in-store so you have the receipt for the signing.

Making another phone call.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
And as with anything customer service, one phone call turned into three.  And the rudeness.  Ugh.

[Repeating for linking purposes]

Barnes and Noble has moved the online availability date of GS from the release date (today) to August 4th.  Why, I don't know.  I couldn't get an answer, straight or otherwise, to that.  I called the B&N store where the signing will be held, and the sales rep told me that the site was "correct" for the site, but that the stores were physically releasing the book today.  He said that my best option would be to call Customer Service and *attempt* to cancel the order, and then just pick up a copy on the signing date.  So, after about three phone calls, I finally got through to a Customer Service rep, and am attempting to cancel my online order.  It's not a guaranteed thing, though, so keep that in mind.

Basically, if you ordered a copy of GS from Barnes and Noble, double check your order.  Make sure that you're getting the book when you specified, instead of sometime next week.  If you aren't able to cancel your order, remember you can always go to the signing, pick up another copy, and then once your pre-ordered book comes in, take one or the other back to a B&N store with the receipt from the signing to get a refund.

The moral of this story is:  Garrett doesn't like Barnes and Noble, and this is an example of why.