Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63183 times)

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
Rock on!

It looks as though LampLighter will be there and will be there early, but I can't find a post explicitly stating he wants to come to resturant.

I see lots of comments from comprex that imply to me great familiarity with the area, but I didn't find one stating intents for the signing... (coulda easily missed it...)

I mighta missed others too for the "list"

I'm already on the list, but I'll be bringing Cardnail, possibly a +1 as well.

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
Random Questions:
Will there be a Q&A or signing only? 
Will the Q&A require the "Ticket Price" of buying the book there?
Will the signing be first?

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »

Eh, sorry, I have had several things completely hit me out of the blue this summer.    Chances are I will not be in town that day.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »
Eh, sorry, I have had several things completely hit me out of the blue this summer.    Chances are I will not be in town that day.

Sorry we won't get to see you.

egads, post agian quick, your post count for that one is evil!
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
Wow.  Just got off the phone with the B&N.  Main reason I dislike B&N: incredibly rude and uppity.  [/rant]

Anyway, they refuse to comment on whether you will be allowed to bring extra books in with you.  Also, they will not hold preorders in-store past release date.  I was going to see if I couldn't preorder a couple copies, and then pick them up on the 1st, but that's a no-go.  *grumble*

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
Wow.  Just got off the phone with the B&N.  Main reason I dislike B&N: incredibly rude and uppity.  [/rant]

Anyway, they refuse to comment on whether you will be allowed to bring extra books in with you.  Also, they will not hold preorders in-store past release date.  I was going to see if I couldn't preorder a couple copies, and then pick them up on the 1st, but that's a no-go.  *grumble*

Umm, I'm a complete novice at the whole book signing shindig, but I didn't think they'd have a say on what else you can bring in to have signed.  As long as you have the requisite B&N book and receipt, anything beyond that is up to you and the author.

At least, that's my understanding...

That being said, I'm completely guessing, since I've never gone to a signing before, nor do I have any affiliation with B&N.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »
And hasn't someone said that Jim will sign up to three items?  For publicity sakes, if B&N says you can only bring one item in, while the author says he'll sign up to three, that's very bad form on B&N's part.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »
And hasn't someone said that Jim will sign up to three items?  For publicity sakes, if B&N says you can only bring one item in, while the author says he'll sign up to three, that's very bad form on B&N's part.

The two statements are not in direct opposition.  

For example,   the author will _not_ sign 4 books for the same person, even if the person purchased all 4 books on site and brought nothing in (the hypothetical person being thereby fully in compliance with B&N policy).    Both B&N and the author would be OK with signing 1 t-shirt brought from home and 2 books purchased on site.

Does that help explain the difference?    Since the statements are not directly contradicting each other, I don't really see one being 'bad form' in view of the other.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:14:22 PM by comprex »

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
The two statements are not in direct opposition.  

For example,   the author will _not_ sign 4 books for the same person, even if the person purchased all 4 books on site and brought nothing in (the hypothetical person being thereby fully in compliance with B&N policy).    Both B&N and the author would be OK with signing 1 t-shirt brought from home and 2 books purchased on site.

Does that help explain the difference?    Since the statements are not directly contradicting each other, I don't really see one being 'bad form' in view of the other.

Ohhh, I gotcha.  I misinterpreted the statement and was thinking that B&N would only allow you to have one item, period.  Huh, thinking on a Friday afternoon is apparently not my strong suit...

That being said, I've got two copies of Ghost Story ordered from B&N that I intend to bring with me, along with my Kindle in its cover (yeah, I know, tacky to bring a Kindle to a signing at B&N).  Hopefully they will allow me to bring two B&N books.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
It's not the fact that they refused to comment on the whole signing thing that ticked me off.  It was the way they went about it.  But I'm not here start a flame war against any retailer bookseller, so I'm stopping there.

Anyway, as to the signing.  I'm going to be bringing a number of items with me, unless we hear differently closer to the signings.

Offline GraveyardKing

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »
Well, I've confirmed it with the rest of my group.  All four of us are coming.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
Hmm, I might go to this.  This would be a couple hours closer to me than the Atlanta, GA signing. And as it happens, I'm already on vacation 8/1, at the beach.  So my parents could watch our kids at the beach while my husband and I went to the signing...this sounds pretty doable. We could even visit/maybe stay with my cousin in DC. :)

Will have to check with my husband and parents, tho. Got room for 2 more at the Dresden table?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:12:16 AM by Stiletto »
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
Unfortunately, my mother was less than thrilled at the thought of us skipping out on our family vacation, so I won't be going. Ah well.
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2011, 02:17:10 AM »
Don't know if we ever made it on "the list" but my +1 and I will be there...

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »
Random Questions:
Will there be a Q&A or signing only? 
Will the Q&A require the "Ticket Price" of buying the book there?
Will the signing be first?

Just spoke with someone from the B&N, apparently there's some changes to the event, but this is his latest information:
First, to answer my questions above...

There WILL be a Q&A session held before the signing. 
You will need a wrist band to get into the Q&A.

Here's a rough time line:
5:00 Wrist Band passed out
       This is your "Ticket," It will say Block 1, Block 2, etc.  This tells them what order you'll get signed.
7:00 Q&A to start FOLLOWED by signing.
       Signing will last until everyone is happy or Jim says its time to go. Jim's usual 3 item limit will be enforced.

In regards to buying the book from B&N.  The gentleman I spoke with said that their official policy is that you have to buy the "Featured" book from any B&N or B&N online.

You can get up to 3 items signed, usually the featured book and 2 other items. Unofficially, they've been known to not check your receipt.  I'm not risking it since your wrist band is your "ticket" to the Q&A and without a B&N copy of Ghost Story, you aren't guaranteed a wrist band.