Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63168 times)

ToddM326

Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2011, 03:24:55 PM »
How would this impact the author's cut of the purchase?

This reminds me of people who buy a big TV the day before the super bowl, and then return it the day after.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
How would this impact the author's cut of the purchase?

This reminds me of people who buy a big TV the day before the super bowl, and then return it the day after.

In principle, it shouldn't. It assumes that the person at the signing will have purchased a copy at some point. But, honestly, I've never heard of a bookstore that accepts returned books at full price.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
In principle, it shouldn't. It assumes that the person at the signing will have purchased a copy at some point. But, honestly, I've never heard of a bookstore that accepts returned books at full price.

Where do you shop?  The B&Ns and Borders locations I've visited happily accept returns.

That said, buying a book just so you can get a receipt so you can return it immediately afterward is extremely tacky and a waste of the store employees' time and goodwill.  We want the store to profit by bringing Jim in, so the execs will be motivated to welcome Jim back in the future.  Have some respect for Jim's hosts and reward them for their hard work.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2011, 04:02:44 PM »
Where do you shop?  The B&Ns and Borders locations I've visited happily accept returns.

Really? Come to think of it, I haven't even tried to return a book in... well, most of your lifetime. :D So it would make sense if that's become the norm for the modern century. ;)

That said, buying a book just so you can get a receipt so you can return it immediately afterward is extremely tacky and a waste of the store employees' time and goodwill.  We want the store to profit by bringing Jim in, so the execs will be motivated to welcome Jim back in the future.  Have some respect for Jim's hosts and reward them for their hard work.

Agreed. Even though I think that the store forcing signing-goers to purchase there if they want to attend the signing of a book that's been out a while already is a bit grabby.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
Agreed. Even though I think that the store forcing signing-goers to purchase there if they want to attend the signing of a book that's been out a while already is a bit grabby.

It's an event. Asking folks to purchase a book is how they "sell tickets" to the event. Priscilla has it right, when it comes down to it. It's not grabby; these days it's "hey, I'm drowning here with you perching on my shoulders in order to get a look at Jim -- mind giving me some oxygen?"
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2011, 04:14:54 PM »
It's an event. Asking folks to purchase a book is how they "sell tickets" to the event. Priscilla has it right, when it comes down to it. It's not grabby; these days it's "hey, I'm drowning here with you perching on my shoulders in order to get a look at Jim -- mind giving me some oxygen?"

Oh, that's very much true. Guess I'm assuming that most people going to the signing would be purchasing it there anyway, and maybe buying other books as well because of the "oh, look" factor.

One question (don't know if it'd apply to anyone who's actually going to the signing, but there's a chance): should it be assumed that the receipt has to be for a book from that particular B&N that day, or would one from a different day, different store or maybe even BN.com suffice? I only ask because I just spoke with a coworker who mentioned in passing that he was able to return a book to one B&N that he had bought at another, and had also returned one he bought at BN.com. Might just be a particular store's attempt towards heavy customer service, but it's worth asking the question here just in case.

ToddM326

« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »

Thank you.  That is a much better way of wording what I was trying to say.  Ultimately, this is a promotional event for the store to sell books. 

So what would happen if, say, I bought the book, but then donated it to a charitable cause for them to sell it?  Are there "rules" about that?

Ultimately, I'm very excited to see Mr. Butcher, get a couple books signed, and hear him speak.  The B&N rule is changing my purchase from kindle format to hardcover, but it is not a deal breaker.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
By the way, I don't condone "renting" as we used to call it when I worked for Best Buy.  (I edited the earlier post to say so)

I ported the post over to collect info from people who had actually called the store about the subject of the enterance requirements.

On a different note:

I don't get things signed often, and in my mind I typically imagine having the signer just scribble their name, but in this case I was considering having Jim write something about my being a WoJ "Guru" or "Rock Star" and I thought I would get input from those more experienced with these type of things to see what kind of format would be typical for something like that.

I'm hoping to get him to sign the back of my Black Nook Simple Touch with a gold paint pen.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2011, 12:52:18 AM »
Sadly, we won't be making it to this signing as previously thought.  :(  It would require hubby taking 2 days off work as Sunday he has a show to play for a local theater.

I hope everyone else has a blast though!

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »
Tomorrow I will be calling Gordon B's to make reservations for 4:00pm August 1st.  I figure since there are about 10 of us listed, that aiming for a seating of 15 would be best in case others show up.  Unless they catch on and don't let me, I will make them under the name "Harry Dresden".  Please reply in this topic if you think I should increase or decrease the amount of people for the reservation.  Thanks.
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »
Serack hasn't added me to his list yet, but I plan on being there!

I know there are at least one or two other folks who posted on here that they would be attending before the signing after I posted who haven't been added to Serack's list yet, so I'd say 15 would be a minimum...
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline GraveyardKing

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19:51 AM »
Right, so my group is looking at a tenuous 3-4 people coming...

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2011, 07:29:41 AM »
I've got myself, and anywhere from +1 to +3.  It'll be a definite 2, though.

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »
I told them we would need seating for about 18-20 at 4:00pm and the reservation is under the name "Dresden".  Wahoo!
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
I told them we would need seating for about 18-20 at 4:00pm and the reservation is under the name "Dresden".  Wahoo!

Rock on!

It looks as though LampLighter will be there and will be there early, but I can't find a post explicitly stating he wants to come to resturant.

I see lots of comments from comprex that imply to me great familiarity with the area, but I didn't find one stating intents for the signing... (coulda easily missed it...)

I mighta missed others too for the "list"
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*