Linked Events

• Signing in Atlanta, GA: July 28, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Atlanta, GA, 7/28  (Read 14664 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Signing in Atlanta, GA, 7/28
« on: May 25, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
Thursday, July 28, 2011, 7:00 PM
B&N Buckhead
2900 Peachtree Road NE Suite 310
Atlanta, GA 30305
404-261-7747

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Atlanta, GA, 7/28
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
I'm going to have to take that day off...

Anyone know if they'll allow signing of books brought in (i.e. not purchased in-store)?
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »
Anyone know if they'll allow signing of books brought in (i.e. not purchased in-store)?

Call the bookstore and ask!  Please let us know what you find.

However, keep in mind that buying the book at the store is good form.  Pat Rothfuss explained nicely:

1. This is going to be my first booksigning and I don’t know the etiquette. Do I need to buy my book at the bookstore, or can I bring a book from home?

Honestly? The polite thing to do is to buy your book at the bookstore hosting the event.

You see, the bookstores hosting me put a lot of time, energy, and money into events like these. They order a BUNCH of books. They bring in extra staff to manage the crowds, set up chairs, and sometimes reorganize parts of the store. If the signing goes late, they have to keep the store open after hours.

Also, you have to remember that while the bookstore loves you, they are also, you know, a store. A store that sells books. They need to sell books to stay in business.

But there are other reasons too. Let’s say I do a signing and the bookstore sells 500 books. That bookstore is happy. That bookstore likes me. That bookstore wants to have me back for future events. Also, my publisher is happy, and they feel like spending the money to fly me out to events like this are a worthwhile investment.

But if I do a signing and sell, say, 20 books, odds are the bookstore won’t be inviting me back in the future.

Ultimately, buying a book at the hosting store is just good manners. They’re putting a lot of work into the event, and buying a book is the best way to show that you appreciate that.
--http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/faq-the-wise-mans-fear-signing-tour/

Of course, many fans aren't going to want to wait the two or five or eight days for Jim to come through their city to buy and read the book, in which case I suggest buying the book from the store hosting Jim on release day.

Of course, many fans live far away from the store in question and don't want to make the trek twice, in which case I suggest they buy SOMETHING from the store when they come to see Jim, preferably of equal value to one of Jim's books.  Thank the store with your moneys!

Make sure you check with the bookstore, however, as they all have different policies.  Some may offer preferential treatment to folks who buy the book in-store.

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
Okay, I called the store. They said you have to buy a book in-store anyway in order to get one signed.

So, if anyone else is wondering, there you have it  :)
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
Okay, I called the store. They said you have to buy a book in-store anyway in order to get one signed.

So, if anyone else is wondering, there you have it  :)

Thanks!

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
Thanks!

Welcome!

I had to cancel my Amazon order in order to get this all done right. Now I'll have to wait a whole 'nother two days to read Ghost Story :( But I guess I can survive the two extra days...

Offline slayn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
It looks like I'll need to come up with some reason to be in Atlanta that day.

Offline nlbrown80

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
I can't wait, I took the day off already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:19:46 AM »
Same =) I plan on getting there at like... noon, picking up my copy, and reading it. I'll probably finish before the signing  ;D

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »
From BN.com: "We will begin to hand out passes at 5:00 pm."  I'm at work--would someone mind calling BN at 404-261-7747 to ask if fans will need to buy the book there or at BN.com to get a pass?

Offline thechosenone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 02:55:10 AM »
how long is this going to happen, I really want to go but I will be leaving from Moody AFB and its about a 4 to 5 hour drive. I get off work around 3pm or so but that's not guaranteed. Aircraft maintenance doesn't like to let you off work on time, LOL.

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 01:37:07 PM »
I'll give them a call today to ask about the timing of the event, as well as BN.com vs in-store.

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
Alright, got a few answers.

• You must buy a book at the store the day-of the signing (Thurs 28th)
  • Once you buy a book, you get a pass to get your book signed
  • They aren't handing out passes until 5pm
    • If you bought a book before 5pm, you can get a pass once they start handing them out (keep your receipt)
    • They will continue handing out passes after 5pm (no stop-time)
  • Signing begins at 7pm and continues until everything is done. No hard closing time for the store

The manager that answered everything was named Will and said he's the one in charge of the event. So, if you have other questions, ask for him :)

Offline earthfoxfury

• Conversationalist
  • Don't Stop Me Now :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
Now is this 5:00 Atlanta time? I live in the timezone thats an hour behind Atlanta :O
Imma Marat... RIDING IN ON A BIG BIRD

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
Now is this 5:00 Atlanta time? I live in the timezone thats an hour behind Atlanta :O

5:00 Zurich time, of course!