Linked Events

• Signing in Chicago, IL: July 27, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Chicago (Naperville), IL on 7/27  (Read 36211 times)

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Chicago (Naperville), IL on 7/27
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »
crap what about numbers and preoder i thought we jsut showed up dang it

Sorry, no :(  It's not going to be like the signing for TC.  To have a book signed, you have to order from Andersons.  When you buy the book, they give you a number.  They line up folks according to those numbers for signatures.  If you would, take a look at on page 2 of this thread.  Emgirl, Lany, Chiro, Alilisa and myself have all pre-ordered and received numbers.

Actually, I am glad it won't be like that last signing in this area.  Lots of people arrived very early that day to check into the store and several of the staff I talked to said you could just show up.  Well, it turns out they were giving out wrist bands showing your order of arrival.  Some people had been there, like me, for hours but ended up being closer to the end for signatures because of the lack of information on the bookstore's part.  I would think they were unprepared excepting the fact that they had plenty of books for all.  That just tells me whoever was in charge didn't manage things correctly.

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
You're as bad as me, GW, I thought the same until Chiro told me!  you have to call the store and they give you a number...wait...are you just joking around with me...or serious?  *unsure whether to give you the "evil eye" or the "surprised eye" so just gives you "the eye" to be safe*.  

MX, does the order we get things signed..oh wait..no in order to get a place to sit for the Q&A we have to be there way early don't we...shoot...with Chiro working not sure how early we can get there, that'll be a problem. Do they still let people be there even without a chair, for the Q&A though?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:05:25 PM by Alilisa »
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
MX, does the order we get things signed..oh wait..no in order to get a place to sit for the Q&A we have to be there way early don't we...shoot...with Chiro working not sure how early we can get there, that'll be a problem. Do they still let people be there even without a chair, for the Q&A though?

I'm actually about to head up that way now, so I'll ask about that.  I don't see why they wouldn't let folks stand, especially as you purchased the book, but I'll check.  If you two will be there around 430, I don't see how you won't get a seat. 

Offline kira-marie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
Alright I finally pre-ordered my book I was waiting to see if I could get someone to work my shift for me so now I am number 149 in line looking forward to a great day. 

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
I hope so, I know they said if I needed a seat while standing in line (cuz since the surgery I have had trouble with sitting for long periods of time, I haven't tried standing for long periods :D, but I should be ok) they'd get me a chair if I needed it.  I'm hoping I don't, I don't really want to put anyone out, nor act like a baby ;D

Thank you, MX, I appreciate it!

You're 29 behind me, kira-marie, that's not too bad then!
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »
Alright I finally pre-ordered my book I was waiting to see if I could get someone to work my shift for me so now I am number 149 in line looking forward to a great day. 

Welcome to the party :)

Offline kira-marie

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
thank you now for the important question how early is early enough? and does one get there as early as possible to begin reading or does one wait until after is is signed to begin reading? Most importantly though when is everyone else getting there?

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
This is my first time at any signing, so I'm not a good one to ask, and Im not sure what time we'll be getting there, it depends on Chiro's work schedule, I'm picking her up in Dundee, so hopefully MX or someone else can answer that for you. I'm sorry.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »
I have a folding chair Lisa.  :D  I wonder if they'd let me bring it in.

I'll probably be able to tell you closer to time when I'll get back from work - it's all over the place right now because we're doing vegetation analysis but we are finishing up that week.  Typically I'm back here between 2 and 3 and just need half an hour to get a quick shower and put on non-disgusting clothes.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:29 PM »
Ok, just got back into town after the trip.

Kira, I will be in the area, if not in the store, around 11.  I don't see why you couldn't get the book when they open at 9 and find a quiet spot and read.  Also, if the weather is nice, the Riverwalk has a lot of places to go and sit outside, if that is appealing in any fashion.  There is also a starbucks a short walk away as well as several grills and a steak house.  I'll be having my lunch there, I think.

Onto store and parking info.

There is a chance that there will not be any chairs put out at all.  Reason being is they clear out the back of the store and use that.  It is not a huge place and I think the almost 150 now pre-ordered, as of the time I stopped in, might strain the place as it is.  Anyone can attend the Q+A, but only those whom pre-order or purchase the book that day will be able to sign.  I recommend pre-order as I am not sure how many 'extra' books will be on hand.  I forgot to ask, sorry.

Now, some decent news.

While I was there, there were two small groups, three and five people, sitting on the floor having what looked to be a book discussion of some sort.  They weren't part of the store staff, but it appears they were awaiting the signing tonight.

There also appears to be plenty of parking, if scattered along the surrounding blocks.  There are big parking lots designated Riverwalk parking.  There is also parking along the street and also at the Nichols library right down the road, although I would say to avoid that as we aren't technically using the library, even though we are interested in books :)

The only problem I see with parking is the time allowed.  The parking along the street states two hours only.  The parking in the Riverwalk designated areas state 3 hours.  I spoke with several folks on the street and staff in the store.  The common info was that yes, they do watch it, but are not metered as such.

I still plan on going up early, but I will probably rotate my car around to a few different spots and end up parking it in one of the Riverwalk zones around 5PM.  That will allow an hour past the start time and should give enough time to get back to the car.  Personally, I don't think there will be any issues, but I wanted to share my info with all of you.  Also, if anyone doesn't feel comfortable walking to their car alone, I would offer to walk with you in a group.  I'm not a huge guy, but I can at least be a deterrent of sorts.

Chiro, or anyone else of course, please let me know what your thoughts are if/when you go take a look.  I would appreciate a second viewpoint :)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
Do you know if the 2/3 hour parking rule holds all day?  (I know some of those things change in the evening).
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Lany79

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2011, 12:00:30 AM »
There is also a free parking garage a few blocks east next to the Barnes and Noble bookstore.

I'll be going in to the store on Tueday morning to pick up my copy of the book (what can I say, I can't wait to read it).

I will be off all day on Wednesday, however, so if someone does indeed want to meet a little early to get something to eat, I'm available.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 12:02:23 AM »
i called the place hopefully ill be able to pick up a book earlier in the day as i plan on going up early
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:03 AM »
Ooohhh call and ask that way you can sit even if we don't get a place to sit for the Q&A, Chiro ;D  Hey, if you want, I can drive through a sprinkler somewhere, bring along some shower gel and then on the rest of the way you can hang your head out the window *snickers* J/K.  That sounds good to me, that would put us down there around...5 or 530, right?

I'm trying to decide now about what to wear...I got an idea from someone, but......*just grins, looking over my shoulder at the stuff on the couch*  should I or shouldn't I?  :D

That's great news, GW, glad to hear it!

Thanks, Lany, now if we can figure out where that is in regards to the bookstore we'll be at.  As for getting something to eat, if Chiro wants, I'll leave it up to her to decide if she wants to have supper with others too, I'm game for anything. :)

Thank you, MX, I'm afraid I won't be driving down early (3 hour drive for me and if I get lost.....7 hour drive ;D).  Thank you though, that helps a lot!

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2011, 01:07:33 AM »
I'm definitely happy with the idea of meeting others for food.

I'm hoping we can get there by 4 or 4:30.  I can get ready pretty quickly - I just need to wash off the sweat and five layers of sunscreen, and pick off any ticks.  :D

So what are you thinking of wearing?  That sounds suspicious....  :P