Author Topic: Wizard aspects  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Blechpirat

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • FATE Deutschland!
Wizard aspects
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:16 PM »
I'm talking about the second box on p. 179. It says that every wizard has an aspect relating to his idea of magic.

Harry D., who is good at destroying things with magic but can't raise veils very well has the aspect: "Not so subtle, still quick to anger"

What aspects did you guys choose for YOUR wizards?

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizard aspects
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »
I'm talking about the second box on p. 179. It says that every wizard has an aspect relating to his idea of magic.

Harry D., who is good at destroying things with magic but can't raise veils very well has the aspect: "Not so subtle, still quick to anger"

What aspects did you guys choose for YOUR wizards?

0_o never noticed that before.  Haven't played any Full-term Wizards yet- but I did play a drifter terramancer-
"Terramancer of Tampa", "Built like a Rock", "Stand Your Ground"
would be the closest aspects to his grasp of magic.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »
Seeing "Wizard Aspects" somehow reminded me of "Wizard People, Dear Reader."

For my Focused Practitioner, I ended up not *really* picking a secondary spellcasting-related Aspect. My high concept is "Reluctant Tenebromancer" which is bolstered by "The Shadow Has a Will of its Own" (as well as an Aspect that is Tony Shalhoub's quote from "GalaxyQuest": "I'm Not That Guy").

I should probably rectify that at a future Milestone.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »
0_o never noticed that before.

That's because it isn't there.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »

Is this a pre-release PDF issue?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
Is this a pre-release PDF issue?

I suppose it's a hint on that not every spellcaster needs to have such an aspect.

The Box states that:

Some  spellcasters  have  blind  spots  in  their magic that aren’t simply a lack of specialization and  practice—there  are  particular  kinds  of spells or methods of arcane practice that they just can’t do well.
(emphasis mine)

You can just as easily make a caster with a well rounded talent.
Harry excels at the rough stuff, but sucks at subtle things. That's what his aspect says. Similarly Molly, who shines when it comes to the subtle things, but has trouble with heavy handed spells has an aspect to show that.
If you skip such an aspect you neither excel nor suck at a specific kind of magic.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
My copy says 'some', too, not 'every'.  It's optional.  Note, though, that it can be and advantage, a disadvantage, or both.  Taking Dresden's aspect as an example, it means that he can be compelled by his temper, or compelled when trying to use subtle magic, or invoked when feeding anger into his spells for extra umph!  And even those disadvantages get him Fate points, which generally come in handy later...

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:30:21 AM »
Well... The best Aspects are double edged swords in any case aren't they? So your wizardly Aspect having pros and cons is just part of it being a good Aspect I'd think.

Haven't made any pure spellcasters myself yet. If I were going for some kind of tenebromancer or shadowmancer I think I'd reuse a theme I've done in another game though: "Tame the darkness you embrace". Kind of a reminder that just having a leash on darker sorts of power isn't enough. If you're going to get involved with them it's whole hog or not at all, and you'd better be sure you're doing it right if you do it at all.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 05:30:54 AM »
My character is a young Warden who deals primarily with spirit magic and has the Ghost Talker ability.  I picked Free Spirit as his main magical aspect.  It allows him to work with some of the wilder Fae as well as some of the spirits he encounters.  But it also can be compelled to make him impulsive and rebellious.  This has been a problem for him in the past.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:23 AM »
My wizard has "control freak", "The most important part of being subtle is NOT BEING SEEN".

Basically, any time that he is NOT the focus of attention in a fight, he is much more likely to be successful.  The flip side of this is that he avoids being the face of the party, and won't do intimidation type tactics.  Given time to research and prepare, and he can be very effective indeed.

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 01:13:13 PM »
My technomancer character has "The Science Of Magic!" as her aspect.

Basically, she has a hard time with metaphor and symbolism with regard to magic. She doesn't view iron as some kind of special bane of Fae, but rather something more akin to salt on a slug.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
For the upcoming game I'm in, I'm still tinkering with my Potential Wizard's Magic Paradigm. She learned about magic mostly through personal experimentation and knows enough not to kill herself. Her Trouble being, "What's The Worst That Could Happen?"

My personal favorite Magical Paradigm Aspect is one I'd love to reuse, I Can't Find "Mana" on the Periodic Table.

The original character for that Aspect had access to Earth, Air, and Water (Essentially the entire Periodic Table), but only allows Sciencie Magic. Esoteric uses of Magic for that character would be the blind spot. 

For this character right now, the current favorite is Occultism is a Field Science or some variation since the Character is a UW student who built her own Interdisciplinary Studies Major. 

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Blechpirat

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • FATE Deutschland!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »
Thank you all for your imput!

That was probably not the most helpful post there, but the others made posting here well worth the time.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
Your magic is colored by your character, your character is outlined by the aspects. This pretty much makes every aspect a magical aspect, although some might work better than others, i suppose.

One aspect though, that I liked very much, I created for a character that only had Shakespearian aspects: "double double, toil and trouble".
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal