Author Topic: What is DFRPG  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Mabb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What is DFRPG
« on: May 22, 2011, 04:12:26 AM »
Hey, what IS DFRPG?  Just think of me as a possibly middle-aged woman with no teenage sons (or daughters) to explain these things to me. ;)
La Lune, chant a mon sang.
Mon sang, chant a la lune...

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: What is DFRPG
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:46:21 AM »
It is a role-playing game based on the Dresden Files. It is a 'little' like Dungeons and Dragons, but less dice and more story. Also, it is based on the Dresden Files, which is a much more modern setting.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:52:42 AM »
Hey, what IS DFRPG?  Just think of me as a possibly middle-aged woman with no teenage sons (or daughters) to explain these things to me. ;)

Are you familiar with what an RPG is?

Or the Dresden Files books?

Asking so I know how much to answer with.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:54:24 AM »
Assume you are asking a more general question than just what words 'DFRPG" stands for.

DFRPG is the commonly accepted abbreviation for the Dresden Files Role Playing Game

So what is a role playing game (normally abbreviated 'RPG')?

A subclass of games where you attempt to portray a specific character, and make decisions based on what that imaginary character might think or feel.

Wikipedia article

More specifically, the DFRPG is what's normally called a 'table top' or 'pen and paper' RPG.

There are a few different sorts of RPGs floating around.  
There are the big budget computer RPGS:
Big multiplayer ones like World of Warcraft or Everquest
Big single player ones like Dragon Age or Fallout: New Vegas

There are 'live' RPGs, where you dress up in costume
For example, various SCA events
or more purely 'social' games, that don't involve hitting the other players with padded weapons
like the live action version of Vampire, published by White Wolf Games.

Then, there are the 'pen and paper' version which are (mostly) played by people sitting around a table, talking, rolling dice, making marks on paper, and eating cheetos.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:01:06 AM »
Here is a Wikipedia article on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game_(pen_and_paper)

In this case, the RPG in question is set specifically in the fictional supernaturally active contemporary world of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series of novels.

That is to say, it's modern day, but wizards, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, gods, demons, etc, are real and lurking behind the facade of mundane everyday life.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 05:17:39 AM »
It's a game in which the players play characters inspired by the characters found in the Dresden Files novels, embroiled in situations fraught with conflict and drama, much like the novels.