Author Topic: Burgerking and the Nevernever.  (Read 6206 times)

Offline Obsid

• Participant
    • View Profile
Burgerking and the Nevernever.
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
Places in the Nevernever are connected to each other and to the material realm through ideas rather than space right?

So... can I travel from a Burgerking in my hometown to a Burgerking in another part of the world with relative ease through the Nevernever?

I mean, conceptually speaking, fast-food joints have a lot more in common then they don't. Likewise post offices, and various other cookie-cutter facilities should be more alike than un. So it would stand to reason that they be connected to the same, if not nearby places in the Nevernever. Open a portal from my BK, take three steps, open a return portal, and there I am half a world away. Choose locations that are thematically connected to the dominion of a friend to make sure its safe, and you have travel made easy.

Or is there a catch 22 that I'm missing here.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: Burgerking and the Nevernever.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:14:30 PM »
The only catch I can see is the Burger King living on the other side not liking your trespassing. He'll fry you with the onion rings. :D It is a pretty good idea, so long as you keep in mind there could be something like a grease demon or a giant fetch shaped like a clown on the other side. Or, there could be a Wyld Court of pixies who like burgers the way others like pizza.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »
Using the "ways" make a great shortcut, but I don't think there's a "concept to concept" correspondence.

Richard

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
Using the "ways" make a great shortcut, but I don't think there's a "concept to concept" correspondence.

Richard

There is, to a degree. In the latest book,
(click to show/hide)
Thomas (and plenty of other supernatural beings) is able to cross over into portions of the NeverNever that are close to his self.

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
I agree that it exist "to a degree", but I don't see it being a strong correlation.

There are hundreds of FBI buildings - do they all lead to the same place? No.

Would all Burger King locations lead to the "realm of the High Burger"? No.

There is no strong "enter here and leave there" rules to work with.  That's why it is so hard to map the Nevernever.

Richard

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
There is no strong "enter here and leave there" rules to work with.  That's why it is so hard to map the Nevernever.

Once a link has been established, it sticks around for awhile (functionally, the whole campaign), but yeah, divining it in the first place is difficult.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
They may not be strong, but they are still there. They can still be used. Cutting a 100-200 mile journey to 1 or 2 miles via the NeverNever can be quite useful.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Part of the difficulty is that for all their cookie-cutter-ness, one Burger King is NOT the same as another.  The one located just outside Grand Central Station is going to have a different emotional feel (hurry hurry hurry) than the one in Middle-Class Suburb #42 (families eating with their kids) or the one in Bad Part of Town Full of Gangs (dirty, close to violence, etc.).  Thus, they'd likely resonate with different parts of the Nevernever

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »
On the other hand, what a great plot element: someone is setting up a new cookie-cutter restaurant chain, backed by the funds from hundreds of years of investment and compound interest.  The food?  The food is terrible.  The places are all mostly empty, all the same, staffed by bored workers, with only a rare customer who doesn't know better.  It's losing money hand over fist... and yet it's still expanding.  All because someone is trying to *build* a world travel network.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »
What about a Burger King IN the Nevernever?  :o

"Would you like fries with that?" suddenly becomes much more ominous.

(that wasn't chicken)
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »
Reminds me of Snow Crash, where even suburbs are franchised and you can go from one McHousing to another McHousing 3000 miles away and know where everything is.

I think that there's enough meat (heh heh) to this idea that it could work here and there, but I also agree that assuming that every BK leads to every other BK is (and should be, for game balance if nothing else) false.

White Castle, on the other hand, DOES lead anywhere you want to go, as long as where you want to go is Neil Patrick Harris.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Reminds me of Snow Crash, where even suburbs are franchised and you can go from one McHousing to another McHousing 3000 miles away and know where everything is.

I think that there's enough meat (heh heh) to this idea that it could work here and there, but I also agree that assuming that every BK leads to every other BK is (and should be, for game balance if nothing else) false.

White Castle, on the other hand, DOES lead anywhere you want to go, as long as where you want to go is Neil Patrick Harris.

I'm having trouble having trouble with that  :-\

As long as I get a bagful of sliders and get to ride a cheetah.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
I'm having trouble having trouble with that  :-\

As long as I get a bagful of sliders and get to ride a cheetah.

Man, the other side of the Nevernever from a White Castle would be SO awesome.  I gotta spring that on my group someday.

That and the Sasquatch sequence from Pick of Destiny.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
This thread is making me hungry.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Seb Wiers

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
Perhaps for franchise restaurants, there would be (in the case of very close copies) a one-way connection back to the original location (or the "flagship model", or whichever of the many franchises is the most archetypal).  But I can't see every franchise connecting to every other franchise in an open, multiu-directional network. 
Otherwise, you'd think never-never networks would have been created LONG ago between, say, the many churches of the Catholic franchise.  Magically speaking, one Catholic church is (at least intend to be) IDENTICAL to the next...