Author Topic: writing a book NEEEEEEEED HEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2428 times)

Offline almek

• Lurker
    • View Profile
writing a book NEEEEEEEED HEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:09:44 AM »
so, i have put my characters in a situation that seems impossible t get them out of. i need advice on how to proceed.
Situation: i have two professional vampire hunters trapped in an ally in modern day New York. the first one, Cory, is as mad as someone can get, and the second one is still and apprentice. the apprentice's master, the best vamp hunter known to man, just walked by the scene and ignored what was happening because she really hates her apprentice. anyway, on one side of the two is a minor vamp but on the other side is a vamp lord (think if macron was a vamp) and some goons. these vamps are like a mix between jim's red and black courts. oh yeah and, cory has this crush on the vamp hunter that walked by (which is why he is freakin' mad).
any help?

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: writing a book NEEEEEEEED HEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
Previously Unintroduced Third Party With A Special Interest makes an entrance, with a shotgun or molotov cocktail.  Who's side they're actually on and what their real agenda, if any could give you something to work with later.

Mundane Red Shirts Make Timely Appearance or at least serve as a distraction.  Local cops or gangbangers who think someone's tryng to horn in on their turf, for example.

Random Hobo With Shotgun.  Just because.

Offline cheesemaster

• Conversationalist
  • What's in the bag, Wang?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:32:57 PM »
The one with a crush shouts one well timed word (maybe a name or something)  at the sexy vamp hunter as she passes out of sight. It has meaning to her alone and she stops dead in her tracks. How does he know to say that to her? That's irritating; She turns and helps so she can find out what he knows. Adds a little back story you can trickle out as well later on....

Or maybe they get the stuffing knocked out of them by the Vamps, but just as they are about to pass out and the vamps mouth is lowering towards their neck, they see something pass over them in the air and hear a crash.....they wake up in her hide out, the pro having just saved their bacon.....good luck!

Give me a shout out in the afterward if it works for you. Lol.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:48:34 PM by cheesemaster »
“In my mind I am eloquent; I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest cathedral ceilings and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, everything collapses.”
― Isaac Marion

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 03:25:29 AM »
It sounds like they need something to distract or at least slow the major vamp and his cronies while they run over the minor vamp and make their escape. Without knowing more about your vampire hunters like what kind of weapons they use, how skilled they are, and what other items they carry it's hard to know.

Fire bomb at big bad and company, maybe with a little buring garlic smoke or something to slow them down and/or distract them for a second. Crossbow bolt to the weak vamp and run like mad.

Other possibilities:
 Locked door in alley wall suddenly opens and someone motions frantically for them to enter.
 They notice a door or boarded up window off the alley, kick it in and escape into the dark building.
 The experienced hunter yells, "Follow me." He jumps to the top of a trash can, leaps up to grab the bottom of a fire escape ladder and climbs up the side of the building either to
  roof or to an open window several stories up.
 A car roars into the alley knocking vampires every direction, the door opens and someone yells, "Jump in. Hurry up."
 Somone thows a toilet out of a fourth story window. It lands on the powerful vamp creating enough chaos for the good guys to escape.
 A rope is thrown from a rooftop and either a rescuer descends or someone yells for the good guys to climb up.
 The seemingly frightened apprentice suddenly turns into a kraken and begins eating the vampires.
 A manhole cover pops up and a horde of angry, smelly ratmen grap the good guys and attack the vampires saying, "You can't have our food. We spotted them first."

Without knowing more about your story, it's almost impossible to know which scenarios are plausible and which won't work.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
Locked door in alley wall suddenly opens and someone motions frantically for them to enter.

Or it's the door to a business and an employee or security guard is sneaking out the back for a smoke with no clue there's a life or death battle going on behind the restaraunt/store/warehouse.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
^ Good one.

Offline The Corvidian

• Conversationalist
  • I like crows and ravens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:56:30 AM »
Turns out that the alley is haunted, and the ghost was killed by a vampire. The emotional situation gives the spook power, it tears a shard of wood from a nearby pallet, and lobs it at the weaker vampire, hitting it in the heart.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:48:26 AM by The Corvidian »
Clarke's Third Law: Sufficently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Niven's Converse to Clarke's 3rd Law: Sufficently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:31 PM »
Reach into the near-by trash can and pull out a plastic bag full of stale Garlic Knots (since the alley is behind a new york pizza joint).  Proceed to attack/ward off vamps with yesterdays appetizer. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain