Author Topic: The place of lost things  (Read 867 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
The place of lost things
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
My mum used to read "Walt Disneys Lustiges Taschenbuch" (Wikipedia says you should know this as "Donald Duck pocket books") quite religiously, and for a while I read them as well. Now I remember one story which was set in a medieval setting in which quite a few stories took place. The basic idea was, that anything that is lost on earth ends up on the moon.

So there were clutters of stuff everywhere (sorted by person who lost the items), and the big bad guy build an army of metal men of those items. But not only items ended up on the moon, it were emotions, too. The more heroic and selfless the hero would become, the more egoism was lost and send to the moon. Egoism was what the bad guy wanted to infuse his metal soldiers with, so they would become alive.

A funny thing was, when Donald Duck was on the moon and figured out what was happening the (rather huge) bottle filled with his intelligence suddenly emptied halfway. He was able to defeat the metal soldiers by infusing them with (a pretty small bottle) kindness, and they suddenly helped the people up they were beating and lend them their weapons and so on.

From that, I had the idea of a creature that feeds on all "bad" emotions and has a small town hooked up to a large ritual, that drains the citizens of these emotions. He is, of course feeding of their lifeforce and killing them slowly in the process, but the city itself is one of the most lovely places you could find. Kind and friendly people everywhere, no crimes, etc., you get the picture.

What do you think, is this viable? And how would you do something like this?
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The place of lost things
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
I wouldn't bother statting the ritual itself; rather I'd turn the fact that it's operating into a theme/threat (depending on how close it is to killing them) of the location in question.