Author Topic: A kid and his monster  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
A kid and his monster
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
How would you go about having a character that has a pet monster?
Like a kid who befriended some monstrous fey and grows up and now has a monster for a best-friend/guardian.
Let's assume the fey can become invisible.
I see them being helpful to each other and getting each other out of trouble.

Would it just be like a permanent summoned creature?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: A kid and his monster
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
Well, as always: it depends.

If the player wants to play the kid, and the monster is just his pet, you could model it after a sponsored magic, only it is sponsored... everything, so to speak. The kid could collect a debt (hey, fey don't work for free) in order to let the presumably tougher and stronger fey do something the kid couldn't. Maybe the kid on the other hand can give the fey something it needs or wants, to make it a mutual partnership. Which... probably is what you mean by "permanent summoned creature", come to think of it.

Another way to go would be to play both the kid and the fey as separate characters, either by the same player or another one on the table. The fey would probably be a character with less then zero refresh, but still playable, because he has the kid, a pure mortal, as a balance to this. The fey is bound to his nature, but the kid can compel this with his tons of fate points from being a pure mortal to let the fey gain something like a free will. The kid on the other hand has the trouble of... well being a kid, and therefore pretty limited in everything. Getting out to rescue someone for instance could be foiled by his parents attention to his bedtime.
Hell, this could be fun to play  :P
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:07:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply. :)

The inspiration for this comes from the Monsters and Other Childish Things RPG.
I am thinking of a grown-up/adult character that has had his best-friend/monster most of his life.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
Monsters and Other Childish Things RPG.

I hadn't heard of this yet, but after a quick google search I found the quote
Can you make it through a school day without having to explain why your monster ate the substitute teacher?

and I definitely need to look into it ;D

As far as an adult character like this is concerned, it is a tough one. It all depends on how much of an impact you want the fey friend to have on the game.
A simple aspect like "my imaginary friend" could be invoked to aid in any task and could be compelled if the fey is trying to eat the substitute.
If you want more than that, and specifically if you want it to be reliable, you would probably need a bond of some sort, reflected by a supernatural power. Maybe something like the righteousness power from a true believer, only instead of using conviction for anything, you can use your imaginary friend to do the task for you, at his skilllevel (or you use your conviction or contacts to do this, and the fey friend is simply the explonation, why you can do this).
If he is a full fledged ally, You should treat him like that, bargain with him for tasks he might do for you and such. Give him aspects that represent his loyalty to you and likewise have one or two of your own to represent that bond.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »
On a side note... Arc Dream is having a 25% off sale on all Monsters and Other Childish Things books.
Enter the code 'paycheck'. Expires 5/20/11.

I like the idea of "My Imaginary Friend" and using contacts or conviction for the resolution.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:48:51 PM »
Another possibility would be simply making as a single character.  I'll assume that you want to, for the most part, play the kid so you'd start by building him as a character.

4: Empathy
3: Stealth, Deceit
2: Rapport, Contacts
1: Lore, Athletics

or something like that, then you overlay the monster, having the combat skills personified as him.

5: Fists
4: Might
3: Endurance
2: Intimidate

toss well you get the idea, toss in whatever skills you want as skills.  Then you make sure you have an aspect or two

A BOY AND HIS BEAST

And then buy whatever powers you want the monster to have but simply define them as being part of the monster.

Now with this sort of build you can't be in a different location than your monster, but it works just find to represent what you want.

Another possibility is to buy it as a Werewolf style character, define a full skill set for both the kid and the monster, buy a number of powers for your monster (with the Human Form adder or whatever it's actually called) and make sure you have an aspect or stunt to represent that whenever one 'character' is there the other is also always around to be attacked.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:50 PM »
Then you make sure you have an aspect or two
A BOY AND HIS BEAST
Now with this sort of build you can't be in a different location than your monster, but it works just find to represent what you want.

Depending on the GM, a player might conceivably be allowed to Invoke this Aspect (using a Fate Point) to Declare that he could indeed be in two places at once because he is actually two separate beings. It shouldn't come up all the time, and may just not be that different from Invoking the Aspect for other numerical bonuses. Creativity could open up a lot of possibilities.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
Depending on the GM, a player might conceivably be allowed to Invoke this Aspect (using a Fate Point) to Declare that he could indeed be in two places at once because he is actually two separate beings. It shouldn't come up all the time, and may just not be that different from Invoking the Aspect for other numerical bonuses. Creativity could open up a lot of possibilities.

Note: I am using a Blob as the example Monster to avoid confusion and because that'd be my use for that character type.

If you used the "Boy and His Blob as one character" route, you could do that and then be able to self-compel in situations where the skill you are trying to use is in one but not the other when they are separated.

Example: Boy is trapped in a building. He sends his Blob to go and get help, invoking his high concept. Some monster attacks the boy while the Blob is away. Boy self-compels his Blob aspect since his real Attack skills are in the hands of the Blob.

Boy and His Blob as a were-form....you actually could use the same logic. You'd get points back by saying that when the Blob is summoned to fight a Monster, the boy's stats change to the Blob's stats reflecting the summoned Blob. If you invoked the Blob Aspect to make a Declaration "Blob is going for help", if your boy was attacked while Blob is away, you'd compel the Blob aspect so that you couldn't "Shape-shift" leaving you with only the Boy's Stats.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline SunlessNick

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
You could also adapt Item of Power into Companion of Power perhaps; replace the "Unbreakable" part of the power with the part about it being able to do things when apart from you.  The discount could be +1 for the companion being large and another for being obviously unnatural (so a rat is +0 and the only bonus is to invoke the aspect referring to it for separate activities, a polar bear or jackalope would be +1, a sasquatch would be +2).

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:21 AM »
How would you go about having a character that has a pet monster?
Like a kid who befriended some monstrous fey and grows up and now has a monster for a best-friend/guardian.
Let's assume the fey can become invisible.
I see them being helpful to each other and getting each other out of trouble.

Would it just be like a permanent summoned creature?

I personally don't know the rules well enough to say, but I just LOVE the idea!
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline cameronpants

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 01:43:28 AM »
I once had an NPC like this in a superhero game I ran.

I would go a slightly different route. I'm not sure it's entirely legal.

I would build him by splitting the skill pool like earlier posts mentioned, but I'd follow up with the kid performing navel-gazing maneuvers then invoking them for effect with the free tag. Consider them "commands" issued to the Monster. Navel-gaze with Rapport to apply "Monster attacks the Red Court Vampire" on self or scene, then free-tag for effect. Is this legal?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »
It seems like a really clunky way to do it, when compared to some of the other ways suggested but legal as far as I can tell.

Offline cameronpants

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:57:28 AM »
Clunky? Yes. But allowing those aspects to be something like "Scouts the Area" or similar gets around the requirement to be co-locating with the monster. This method also eludes sponsored debt, losing access to the kid's skills in the case of the wereform approach, and avoids hassles like a Companion of Power or having two characters.

I might evolve the idea and use it in my game.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 08:40:37 AM »
As a somewhat different option, you could build the character as a monster with 'human form'.  Instead of actual shapeshifting, you just 're-skin' the power by saying that when needed, the monster just 'steps in' to take the place of the child.  Perhaps the child is temporarily transported to the monsters demesne, or he's simply 'backstage'.  An oddity of this concept would be that they'd share stress tracks and consequences, but perhaps the two share some sort of mystical bond...

This isn't really the concept you proposed, but is kind of similar.  (On the whole, I think that the idea of building the pair as a monster with a pet kid -- then RPing the kid -- probably works best.)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 01:22:31 AM »
This looks like a job for a custom power.

One written by someone else, who has a better idea of how to do it.