Author Topic: Can I get opinions on this sponsored magic?  (Read 1551 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Can I get opinions on this sponsored magic?
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:06 AM »
Hello all,
I am working out a character and I am trying to make sure I don't overload on to many abilities for a sponsored magic, so I was hoping I could get some opinions?  The concept is a source of magic spawned by mankind's desire to build bigger & better to leave something that lasts for generations, whether its a building or a statue.  

Name: Forge Magic

Cost: -4 (rebate of +1 per Thaumaturgy, or Evocation purchased.)

Debt:
Requires that he builds something of lasting value such as a building or enchanted item and gives it away.  Of course the enchanted item doesn't take his slots.  I could see him also being in debt until he creates an item of power that provides access to the magic, which is how the power finds new users.  He should also gain debt if he destroys a structure of importance and beauty like a Sky Scraper, or something along those lines.  

Effects:
Allows him to use Conjuration Magic with the speed and methods of Evocation.

Specialty:
Provides a bonus of +1 to power and frequency of crafting.

I thought having a description of the Debt issues, would be a good idea.  I was thinking about having the magic provide a bonus to Summoning, but I didn't think that stacking it with the summoning as evocation part was a balanced idea, regardless if it gets done by Kemmlerian necromancy.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:18:47 AM by citadel97501 »

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get opinions on this sponsored magic?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »
Summoning is rather hard to do at the speed of evocation if you use the standard rules. Why? Because every summoning is two spells - one to summon and one to control. If you want to be safe, you also need a third spell to bind the creature until you can control it.

In addition, summoning is a bit more limited that necromancy; you only get creatures and bindings against creatures. Necromancy gets creatures, death magic, and anything that manipulates life and death.

Last but not least, I'd expect a sonsored magic named "Forge Magic" to give Conjuration at the speed of evocation rather than Summoning.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:18:12 AM »
Your right, thats what I meant I seem to say summoning when I mean Conjuring a lot.  I will edit the original post.  

I am also assuming you are proposing since Conjuration is more limited than Necromancy, that it would be fine to provide a bonus to it with this sponsored magic?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:20:26 AM by citadel97501 »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
Looks fine.  He's got very limited evocation (even more so than basic channeling), but with a bonus to both parts of it.  No problems there.  I'd also have it grant not just conjuration but crafting (so you can make enchanted items, potions, etc).  As its written, it doesn't, which seems backwards.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:28:39 PM »
Needs more garlic
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 01:00:42 AM »
So, can you make normal evocations with this power?

Can I toss out a weapon 4 control 6 zonewide rain of swords with my six-shift caster?

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:08 AM »
So, can you make normal evocations with this power?

Can I toss out a weapon 4 control 6 zonewide rain of swords with my six-shift caster?

UNLIMITED BLADE WORKS 8U

I'm so sorry, I had to  :D

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:29:25 AM »
A power that provides aid in crafting stuff would be different in my opinion.
Creating something of beauty and value requires 2 things: skill and time. Even the best craftsman is going to do a mediocre job, if he is rushing it. Granted, a novice would not be able to do it at all, but mediocre would probably not be worthy of a sponsor like this.

The bonus to crafting would be all right, but conjuring via evocation would be completely against what someone behind a power like this would stand for.

I can see 2 other powers, that might fit:

Magical Jury-Rigging: Your magic is able to repair anything in an instant. The damage returns after a scene, and the item has to be repaired manually. Leaving it broken would be an insult to your sponsor (debt).

Fresh from the Forge: Provided you have an approximate amount of the material needed, you can shape it into anything you like or need. The new form only holds for 1 scene and the material will turn into goo after that.

As a whole, I would see a sponsor like this picking people who are great craftsmen, devoted to their craft, etc. They create things mainly by their own skill, using the sponsor to assist, not replace it. I don't see them as being much of a fighter, at least not at the top of their priorities.

You might even price this sponsor at only -3, -2 for ritual(crafting) and -1 for one of the minor powers I described above. Like I said, crafting is a slow art and not exactly suited for combat. You can (and should) however use it to prepare yourself for combat, creating a whole lot of enchanted items and potion items.

At least that is how I would understand a higher being with an interest in crafting.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal