Author Topic: Does Sleep Magic Break Any Laws of Magic?  (Read 7085 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Does Sleep Magic Break Any Laws of Magic?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the maneuver discussion above.  On the one hand, having a system to reflect things like chloroform has utility.  On the other hand, such mechanics also see risky to the realm of 'fun' in the context of the game.

Just a small nit-pick, though: to the extent that such maneuvers are allowed to knock people out of a fight, it should be noted that they are not take-outs.  The aspect is being invoked to trigger a compel to conceed, in my ever-humble opinion.  Which gives the victim quite a lot more influence on the narration that occurs subsequently.

Exactly.

Like... if a PC were knocked out with chloroform, I would allow them to use a fate point to wake up at an opportune time to make their escape. :)

If they're taken out, they don't get that luxury.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Just a small nit-pick, though: to the extent that such maneuvers are allowed to knock people out of a fight, it should be noted that they are not take-outs.  The aspect is being invoked to trigger a compel to conceed, in my ever-humble opinion.  Which gives the victim quite a lot more influence on the narration that occurs subsequently.

I think that's a fair way to justify it, if we take that route.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »
Like... if a PC were knocked out with chloroform, I would allow them to use a fate point to wake up at an opportune time to make their escape. :)

If they're taken out, they don't get that luxury.

If someone wants a PC taken alive, that's plot territory, in my book, and if a PC is taken out of the fight this way (but not formally Taken Out), I'm inclined to treat this method as a plot Compel (not a traditional Compel) and give them a Fate Point for their trouble. They would "awaken" when the plot train arrived in the station.

But if the chloroform is simply a weapon someone is using, and not part of an engineered plot, then letting them shrug it off sooner with a Fate Point would either be a waste of a Fate Point, or a good excuse for a revelation.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets