Author Topic: Dresden Files - M&M Style  (Read 25099 times)

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files - M&M Style
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 11:53:13 AM »
Karrin Murphy

PL: 8 (146pp)

Abilities: STR: 14 (+2), DEX: 18 (+4), CON: 16 (+3), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 18 (+4)

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+12), Diplomacy 8 (+12), Drive 4 (+8), Gather Information 12 (+16), Intimidate 8 (+12), Investigate 12 (+14), Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 2 (+4), Knowledge (Current Events) 4 (+6), Knowledge (Tactics) 4 (+6), Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 2 (+4), Medicine 4 (+6), Notice 12 (+14), Profession (Police Officer) 8 (+10), Search 8 (+10), Sense Motive 12 (+14), Stealth 8 (+12), Survival 4 (+6)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Appearance, Assessment, Benefit (Police Officer), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 5, Grappling Finesse, Leadership, Improved Block, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Pin, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Stunning Attack, Teamwork 2, Weapon Bind, Well-Connected

Powers: Strike [Striking Strength] (Extras: Mighty) 6; 8pp

Combat: Attack +8 [Pistol +4, Unarmed +8], Defense 18 (14 flat-footed), Init +8

Saves: Toughness +8 (+3 flat-footed), Fortitude +8, Reflex +10, Will +8

Equipment: Service Pistol

Drawbacks: Honor, Obsession (Law), Responsibility (Police duties)

Abilities 34, Feats 25, Skills 30 (112 ranks), Combat 32, Saves 17, Powers 8

Well, here's Murphy in all her glory.  I decided in PL 8 for her, as she's a mortal, but a tough mortal.  Her only power really isn't a power, it's just a result of her excellent martial arts training.  I think she turned out pretty well myself.  Nothing too big going on, really, but she works well and can kick some tail.

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »
Michael Carpenter

PL: 10 (190pp)

Abilities: STR: 18 (+4), DEX: 16 (+3), CON: 18 (+4), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 18 (+4), CHA: 16 (+3)

Skills: Acrobatics 4 (+7), Climb 4 (+8), Diplomacy 8 (+11), Drive 2 (+5), Gather Information 8 (+11), Handle Animal 4 (+7), Intimidate 8 (+11), Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 4 (+6), Knowledge (Current Events) 4 (+6), Knowledge (Tactics) 4 (+6), Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 12 (+14), Medicine 2 (+6), Notice 12 (+16), Profession (Carpenter) 8 (+12), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 12 (+16), Stealth 4 (+7), Survival 8 (+12), Swim 4 (+8)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Assessment, Blind-Fight, Connected, Critical Strike, Defensive Attack, Elusive Target, Endurance, Equipment 4, Favored Opponent (Denarians) 2, Fearless, Improved Critical (Amoracchious) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initaitive, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Interpose, Luck 3, Power Attack, Takedown Attack, Teamwork 2, Well-Informed

Powers: Super-Senses [Danger Sense, Detect Evil] 2

Device 8: Amoracchius (easy to loose) [Light Control 4, Protection (Extras: Impervious) 6, Strike (Extras: Penatrating) 10]; 24pp

Combat: Attack +10 [Amoracchius +10, Unarmed +4], Defense 20 (15 flat-footed), Init +7

Saves: Toughness +10 (Impervious +6), Fortitude +12, Reflex +8, Will +12

Equipment: Chainmail, Dagger, House, Tools, Truck

Drawbacks: Enemy (Denarians), Honor (Christian Values), Responsibility (Family)

Abilities 40, Feats 32, Skills 29 (108 ranks), Saves 21, Powers 26, Combat 40

Well, I finally finished Michael - and he was harder to do than I thought.  I had to spend a few days scouring the books, looking for just what Amoracchius could do, power wise.  I think I probably missed a few things, but the basic set up is pretty good.  It's actually fairly cheap, power-wise.  As for Michael, he's a fanny-kicking mamba jamba even without the sword.  He's more or less a riff off the weapons-master archetype, with a few tweaks.  The biggest one is his luck - which in this case is divine intervention.  Given his rather nasty drawbacks, he should always have plenty of hero points to pull off one time power "miracles" or to be in the right place at the right time.  Actually, the DM is probably fiating him being in the right place, which actually earns him another hero point.  His well informed feat represents the wide nation of churchs, that and he always seems to be where he needs to be.  All in all, I'm happy with how he turned out.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »
Very nice! Keep 'em coming!  ;D

I may use these in an upcoming campaign. I was uncertain as to which system to use, but M&M is really nice because of the way they handle powers and such.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 06:20:18 AM »
Very nice! Keep 'em coming!  ;D

I may use these in an upcoming campaign. I was uncertain as to which system to use, but M&M is really nice because of the way they handle powers and such.

Surprisingly, it handles the dresden-verse pretty darn well, actually.  I'll have to dig around my massive number of text files, and see if I can't find my Dresden-verse M&M templates.  I have templates for Wizard, White Court Vampire, Black Court Vampire, Red Court Vampire, and Changeling.  Mostly they're just a package deal you buy that gives you all the common abilities (like wizards all get soulgaze (which I'm still not quite happy with how I have it) and wizard's sight, for example).

It's not foolproof by any means, and I think the Dresden RPG is going to be a much better fit, but it does work pretty nicely.

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 12:35:23 PM »
Well, when you think about M&M as a superhero comic book RPG it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that it could handle any other sort of high-powered campaign, and Harry Dresden sure has elements of high-power.

I'm looking forward to seeing your other templates!
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 06:45:35 PM »
Actually, the second edition is so much smoother and better than the first.  It fixed a lot of problems with some powers and how things were bought, and it's also nice.  Plus power level no longer determines how many ranks in a power you can take (though it still does if the power does damage, as damage rating is still mostly capped by power level, unless you trade off attack bonus for damage bonus).

I highly recommend the second edition.
Argh. So I picked up a copy of Mutants & Masterminds at a bookstore and now realize that it is 1E. Is the 2E version different enough that I should spend even more money, or can I get by with 1E?
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 07:49:38 AM »
Argh. So I picked up a copy of Mutants & Masterminds at a bookstore and now realize that it is 1E. Is the 2E version different enough that I should spend even more money, or can I get by with 1E?

If you have a receipt, I would recommend taking the book back and getting the 2nd ed version.  Not that 1st edition is bad, per say - but 2nd really improved a lot of things that needed improving.  I think it's worth switching, but it's good enough that you could get by with first.

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 04:28:15 PM »
I did manage an exchange -- turns out they had a 2E in the back room!

Now I'm frantically reading. If I can figure M&M out, I may run a short Dresden adventure for my group this weekend. If not, I'll have to default to one of my "house" systems and wing it.  ;)
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 07:15:26 PM »
Someone make a sheet for Butters, it'd be a hoot!

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
Waldo Butters

PL: 3 (45pp)

Abilities: STR: 10 (+0), DEX: 12 (+1), CON: 12 (+1), INT: 16 (+3), WIS: 12 (+1), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Diplomacy 2 (+4), Drive 2 (+3), Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) 4 (+7), Knowledge (Current Events) 4 (+7), Knowledge (Life Sciences) 8 (+11), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 4 (+7), Medicine 8 (+11), Notice 4 (+5), Perform (Keyboards) 8 (+10), Perform (Percussion Instruments) 8 (+10), Perform (Wind Instrumnets) 8 (+10), Profession (Coroner) 8 (+9),

Feats: Equipment 2, Skill Mastery (Knowledge [Life Sciences], Medicine, Perform [Wind Instruments], Profession [Coroner]), Ultimate Effort (Perform Checks)

Combat: Attack +1 [Pistol +4, Unarmed +0], Defense 11 (10 flat-footed), Init +1

Saves: Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Reflex +1, Will +4

Equipment: Coroner's Tools, Lab, Polka Instruments

Drawbacks: Obsession (Polka)

Abilities 16, Feats 4, Skills 17 (68 ranks), Saves 4, Combat 4

Here's Butters in all his glory!  He's not all that much to look at, but the guy can play polka like nobodies business!

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 07:11:55 PM »
Hee, my day is complete now.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2007, 03:01:07 AM »
Link? Must have link...sounds like a really cool game system...almost D20 but not.

hopefully MNM 2e isn't going to be the bastardization Shadowrun 4e ended up being.- Actually 4th is alot smoother then all the other editions and I have played them all. It makes the player make a balanced character in the being and pushes the player to "grow" his character..almost makes the character moral if you know what I mean

Offline Slim

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 07:56:14 PM »
Save vs. DM I think it's good work and your on the right track, but I'm curious if you done anthing for the templates of vams or were crearures? 

Offline kingpaul

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »
Link? Must have link...sounds like a really cool game system...almost D20 but not.
Its by Green Ronin, and is based off of the SRD. So if you're familiar with D&D 3e/3.5e, then you should be able to understand the M&M ruleset fairly well. There are some changes (of cours), since they've thrown the super powers in. I also like M&M 2e over 1e.

And the characters were awesome.
Paul W. King

DV kingpaul v1.2 YR5 FR3.5 BK++ RP JB TH++ !WG CL+ SW BC+ MC++ SH[Murphy++, Molly+++, Mavra----]

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 11:27:06 PM »
Is it wrong that I am disappointed that this thread was not, in fact, about candy-covered chocolates shaped like Dresden Files characters?

Yeah, I fell for it too.  Good lead in.

Yes, I am a chocoholic, I can abstain---BUT I DON"T WANT TOO!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess