Author Topic: Feeding Dependency & Modular Abilities  (Read 1183 times)

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
Feeding Dependency & Modular Abilities
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
I've just started in a game of DFRPG, and have a question. My character's high concept is Gaia's Park Ranger, modeled off of Bernard from Codex Alera. To represent being able to be strong, tough, etc as needed, I took modular abilities (-6, so 4-refresh worth to play with). To show the strain on him (and to sort of mimic mental stress from spellcasting) I linked it to feeding dependency.

Me and the GM are going off of the idea that the feeding attack I take is 2 (the surcharge from FD) + however much other refresh I use. So if I only do inhuman strength, that's a 4-shift attack. We're assuming the attack isn't the full 6 (unless I use all 6).

Also, what if I use modular abilities twice or more during a scene? Would I take multiple hits? Or just one based off of the highest refresh I use?

Thanks in advance!

-EF

P.S. Here's a link to my character.
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding Dependency & Modular Abilities
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »
Sounds right to me. You only take the hit for the powers used.  Also, it doesn't matter how many times you use the powers in that scene.  However, if a scene is long enough, the GM may be justified in calling for an extra roll in the middle.  For example, if you had a negotiation that turned into a fight that then turned into a car chase, you might consider that "one scene" but it might be long enough to be worth having an extra feeding check or two.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:58 PM »
Sounds right to me. You only take the hit for the powers used.  Also, it doesn't matter how many times you use the powers in that scene.  However, if a scene is long enough, the GM may be justified in calling for an extra roll in the middle.  For example, if you had a negotiation that turned into a fight that then turned into a car chase, you might consider that "one scene" but it might be long enough to be worth having an extra feeding check or two.

Indeed.  Once you turn a power "on" it lasts for the whole scene whether you're actively using the power or thematically turn it "off" before using it again.

In other words, you cannot rack up a higher attack than the refresh cost of your modular powers in one scene.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:12:50 PM »
Indeed.  Once you turn a power "on" it lasts for the whole scene whether you're actively using the power or thematically turn it "off" before using it again.

In other words, you cannot rack up a higher attack than the refresh cost of your modular powers in one scene.

Hey, GM, get out of my thread! I'm trying to cheat you! :P

Not really. But thanks for the affirmations. Looks like we're right, BB!

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:43:02 PM »
Hey, GM, get out of my thread! I'm trying to cheat you! :P

Not really. But thanks for the affirmations. Looks like we're right, BB!

-EF

I hope so.  I pretty much live in this place... lol.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.