Author Topic: A Witch-Hunter Organization?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline darkfire14

• Participant
    • View Profile
A Witch-Hunter Organization?
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:16:50 AM »
One thing I find odd in the Dresden Files is no "Witch-Hunters" among normal mortals or even the church.

In the World of Darkness you got a pile of Anti-Wizard organizations. Magic in the Dresden-verse is a powerful and dangerous force so should there not be some organizations dedicated to hunting down and killing wizards for being what they are? Remember mankind is not a rational duck. The Salem Witch Trials are a good reference to history of how fearful people might be of magic. So would adding a Wizard-Slaying organization be good as an antagonist in a Dresden Files game?

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: A Witch-Hunter Organization?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »
Maybe the wizard hunting groups were eliminated in some kind of way by their 'prey'.
Maybe they were subsumed into groups that hunt monsters more.
Maybe they have died out.
Maybe they are on the down-low, and we haven't seen any of them yet.
Maybe they only hunt minor talents and focused practitioners due to a lack of strength to deal with wizards.

A magic-hunting group could be an excellent antagonist though, depending on how you do it.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »
Or May be Harry just never met the 'inquisition'...

Or given his reputation they have avoided him.

I would expect the they would be more a foil for the Paranet level of characters, not the White Council level.

If people are interested in this I suggest a read of "Good Omens" by Gainman & Pratchet - the witch finders in there're perfect (And unwittingly  funded by both Angelic and Deamonic forces :) )
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »
There is a church based group that occasionally hunts warlocks.  It's referred to briefly in a story called
(click to show/hide)

If you read that story you'll understand why that group is so circumspect.

And there is a wonderful witch-hunting group that has been in most of the books - The Wardens.  They hunt the evil magic users so other people don't have to.

Richard

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »
Inquisition [n]
A part of the church tasked with ferreting out witches, heathens and devil-worshipers in the middle ages. Responsible for the alienation of several human nations, repression of supernatural knowledge that helped defend humanity against creatures of the Nevernever (such as the Vampire Courts), the reduction of White Council political and economic power and thus certain failures to defend humans from major supernatural threats, the education of warlocks in unity against common enemies and that secrecy could provide them with much greater power, the spread of fear and chaos that fed power into the Downbelow and an insurance against human theological and spiritual unity against the supernatural.
The inquisition was destroyed by individual yet concurrent efforts from the White Council, human monarchs, advances in education, human-friendly supernaturals and several major plagues that may or may not have been the Black Court spreading across the globe in a new age of exploration. Human religions are still mutually mistrustful and opposing, science has mostly replaced faith, the White Council clings to a mantle of secrecy that does not work in the modern world and the world is a decade from a possible Armageddon.

Yeah, witch-hunting is very good. Especially if you're a Sspernatural nation that wants to conquer the world and doesn't want humans to have any defenses.