Author Topic: Power of a block  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Power of a block
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »
I don't think that you're doing this right.

Ignore the weapon rating until you know whether the attack will hit.

The attack hits if the attack roll is equal to or greater than the defence roll and all blocks.

All blocks that had their strengths exceeded are broken.

Then, the number of shifts by which the attack roll exceeded the highest block or defence roll is added to the weapon rating. Subtract the armour from that number and apply that much stress.

So, in your first example, the block does nothing. The werecat dodges without its help, and it is is broken because the troll rolled higher than its strength.

Offline CottbusFiles

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »
thank you Sanctaphrax and sinker
Trouble Aspect : The nazis are trying to kill me
                       I have a phoenix inside of me
                       Nothing goes like i want it to

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:24 AM »
How about something along these lines (this is assuming the ice-flinging mage manages a consequence; if not the action is easier):

"Ok, you manage to inflict the mild consequence 'Leg encased in a block of ice' on the Troll.  Now it's his turn.  Drawing on his supernatural recovery, the muscles in his leg bulge with renewed strength, splitting the block of ice into large chunks (supplemental action, -1 to main action).  He then grabs a large chunk of ice and plays 'bowling for mages'.  This counts as an Weapons maneuver (modified by Might), attempting to place the aspect 'Legs knocked out from under me' on the annoying mage that keeps trying to put blocks on him.  Weapons 4, +2 for Might modifying (due to Strength), -1 for a supplemental action.  Now he needs to roll his maneuver using his adjusted skill of Superb 5 against that Great 4 block in order to succeed in the maneuver (and break the block in the process)."

Now the flattened (by otherwise unhurt) caster has a choice: stay on the ground and cast his block again, or maneuver to cancel the aspect.  If he does the latter, then the Troll is free to act.  If he does the former, then the Troll's next action should be to tag the aspect for a grapple attempt, which would be Might (which is missing from the sample Troll in OW, but I'd rule would be at least a 3) + 2 (for Strength).  This is likewise likely to succeed, with or without the block.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 05:05:19 AM »
The biggest advantage of wizards is that they can adapt to their targets. Enemy is big and tough? Attack or block mentally vs their Discipline. Enemy is a speedster? Crush them with main force vs Might or Endurance. Enemy is smart and wily? Blast to bits with bolts of energy vs Athletics.

I must agree with this, as during my last game they had a Mythic Toughness Ogre, get taken out by Incite Emotion because he wasn't good at combat.  It surprised the hell out of the other players who had been shooting bolts of fire, lances of ice, and one swinging a big Scythe.  Hmmm.  I guess they may have learned that 4 stress boxes are easier than 10 with armor 3.