Author Topic: Seeking Character Advice  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Seeking Character Advice
« on: May 14, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »
All right, here's my character as he stands right now, 11 Refresh 37 Skills, he being inserted into a game (to replace the 'boring' character I made thread about recently) and I'm looking for some aspect and powers/skill advice.

Before man grasped a plow Silvio has tended the great gardens of the Nevernever as a Prince of the Spring Court.  Like much of Spring he kept more aware of the activities of humanity than Winter, Summer or the lost Autumnal Court.  Silvio played the machinations of the courts as well as any maestro and gained a great deal of power before the fall of Spring.  When the King of Spring rested the Thorny Crown on his throne for the last time Silvio petitioned the Summer Lady Titania for entry into her court and was awarded the title Duke of Flowers.
Spring is not patient but Silvio was smart, he found friends in the court and over the centuries cemented his power.  Through all this time the Duke of Flowers had only one goal, re-establishing the Court of Spring, in this effort he sought the advice of Mother Summer and Mother Winter on how this could be accomplished.  Their price paid Mother Winter informed him that only if he could acquire free will could he accomplish his goal.
Silvio knew that Titania was to cynical and too clever to give him free will so he set his sights on Aurora.  He proved time and time again that he could be trusted with tasks and the prices he asked we always exactly as he should be.  He earned Aurora’s respect, her favor, and in time she gave him a task and neglected to specify a limit to the price, simply whatever he needed within the limits of her abilities.
Holding an open debt from the seat of the Summer Lady Silvio knew that now he only had to wait until the time was right, find the way to rebirth the Spring Court and take demand his free will able to rely on his new position to save him.  He didn’t however plan for two things, the first was the death of Aurora and the ascension of Lilly to her seat.  His debt still should, he was careful of that, but he had gained no trust from Lily and her wrath could be fierce if he angered her.  The second was meeting Shelly McMillian, a young chef who instantly stole his heart.  Unable to take his free will from a protected position and unwilling to leave the woman he loved Silvio demanded his free will damn the consequences.
Unable to strip him of his title or his demense Lily stripped Silvio of his favor in the court and appointed him as Ambassador to the Autumn Throne, a seat that has stood empty since before the city of Seattle grew around it.  Silvio now finds himself forced to spend most of his time in the dreary mortal city of Seattle without resources or friends with the exception of Zeb an aging Warden who has called on Silvio in the past and his love Shelley, recently relocated from Butte to operate a food truck in the city.
Silvio Khlores
High Concept: Duke of Flowers, Fallen Prince of Roses
Trouble: From the Seat of Power to Zeb’s Couch is a Hard Fall
Where did you come from?: Champion of All Things Verdant and Vital
What Shaped You?: A Wild Heart Won’t Wait
What Was Your First Adventure?: Shelly McMillian, Mistress of the Food Truck
Who’s Path Did You Cross?: The Myriad Prices of Besting the Summer Queen
Who Else’s Path Did You Cross?:
Powers
Greater Glamours [-4]
Demesne [-1]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
The Catch: Cold Iron [+3]
Item of Power: The First Rose
One Time Discount [+1]
The Arsenal of Spring [-2]
      The First Rose can generate a variety of weapons based on the symbols of Spring (the most common being a thorny sword, leaf blades that may be thrown or wielded in hand to hand or a whip like vine).
Sense Life [-1]
      The wearer of the ring, with a moments concentration, can detect the life force in all mortals, allow him to discern mortal from undead or fae.
Stunts
Fairy Tongue [-1]
Use Rapport for the Deceit and Misdirection trapping when he never actually lies.
Mind Over Body [-1]
Use Discipline for the Physical Endurance trapping

Skills
5: Presence; Rapport
4: Intimidation; Empathy
3: Discipline; Lore; Weapons
2: Conviction; Craftsmanship ; Performance (Poetry, Singing)
1: Alertness; Athletics; Contacts; Might

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
Re: Seeking Character Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
I think you should just go with Wild at Heart without the Won't Wait.  You have an unnamed Aspect that could be used to note any impatience in his nature. 

Secondly, I have a hard time seeing Lilly being wrathfull as you suggest.  It just seems counter to her personality from the books.  Titania seems like an excellent choice as the one who he worked for in Summer.  Perhaps she made Silvio a promise to give him his Free Will if only the Lady of Summer agreed.  Knowing the whole time that Aurora would never do so.  Her plans went off the rails when Aurora went insane and was replaced by Lilly. 

At first Lilly was reluctant to grant Silvio that request despite her fervent desire to have Free Will herself because she feared Titania's wrath.  Then Silvio fell in love with Shelly and Titania made her move tempting him with what he wanted most.  She would grant him Free Will and allow him to re-establish the Spring Court if only he would seduce Shelly McMillian into a bargain that would ultimately destroy her. With the help of Zeb he was able to convince Lilly to grant him his wish and he was gifted with Free Will without having to destroy his Love.  Titania could not back off from the bargain and exiled him to Seattle in retaliation.  How does that sound?

It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:50:37 AM »
My thoughts:

* I felt similarly to Hum regarding Lilly's part in your story.  She strikes me as being *capable* of wrath, but less inclined to default to it than some of the other leading Fae.  And given your aspect "The Myriad Prices of Besting the Summer Queen" it seems that Hum's solution would fit well.
* "The Myriad Prices of Besting the Summer Queen" seems a lot more likely to cause Trouble (deliberate capital 'T') than your existing trouble.  Not that it makes a huge difference, since they are both aspects, regardless, but that's my take.
* It's perfectly valid to pick Recovery and Toughness as powers, but I wonder if Recovery and Speed might have more of a 'Spring' feel?  Ie, regrowth and renewal (Recovery) and rapidly changing weather and landscape (Speed).
* Does the First Rose give you any benefit other than being a choose-your-own-weapon?  If not, I think you're overcharging yourself.
* The Sense Life power seems reasonable for your concept.  Why did you make it a ring instead of an inherent power?
* Greater Glamours is going to be fairly weak with Discipline 3 powering it.
* Mind Over Body is giving you 1 stress box for a -1 refresh.  Is this worthwhile?  Fairy Tongue doesn't make much sense to me, either, given that Deceit implies lying and Misdirection is probably trumped by Glamours.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:41:13 AM »
I thought that the stunt fae tongue meant that he used Rapport for Greater Glamour instead of deceit.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »
My thoughts:

* I felt similarly to Hum regarding Lilly's part in your story.  She strikes me as being *capable* of wrath, but less inclined to default to it than some of the other leading Fae.  And given your aspect "The Myriad Prices of Besting the Summer Queen" it seems that Hum's solution would fit well.
* "The Myriad Prices of Besting the Summer Queen" seems a lot more likely to cause Trouble (deliberate capital 'T') than your existing trouble.  Not that it makes a huge difference, since they are both aspects, regardless, but that's my take.
* It's perfectly valid to pick Recovery and Toughness as powers, but I wonder if Recovery and Speed might have more of a 'Spring' feel?  Ie, regrowth and renewal (Recovery) and rapidly changing weather and landscape (Speed).
* Does the First Rose give you any benefit other than being a choose-your-own-weapon?  If not, I think you're overcharging yourself.
* The Sense Life power seems reasonable for your concept.  Why did you make it a ring instead of an inherent power?
* Greater Glamours is going to be fairly weak with Discipline 3 powering it.
* Mind Over Body is giving you 1 stress box for a -1 refresh.  Is this worthwhile?  Fairy Tongue doesn't make much sense to me, either, given that Deceit implies lying and Misdirection is probably trumped by Glamours.

Mostly I went with recovery and toughness since the price is the same regardless, I guess I could bump the Recovery power up and drop toughness entirely but he just doesn't have the refresh flexibility to pick up the speed power.

The First Rose was priced out as Breath Weapon which it is approximately equivalent too (with the minor addition of being useable for defense).  So far as the other power I just liked the idea of it being tied to a ring, something that he could occasionally pass on temporarily.

Greater Glamours is weakish as built, originally that was due to the fact that I tied it to a stunt which was subsiquently vetoed, but there has been some concerns raised in the group about whether it is too powerful so keeping it with a lower skill will give us a better chance to see it in play.

That's a fair point with Mind Over Body, I think I'll dump that and put something else in the slot.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:36:21 PM »
I thought that the stunt fae tongue meant that he used Rapport for Greater Glamour instead of deceit.

No, it's so that he can deceive people with Rapport, he uses Discipline to control Glamours.