Author Topic: virus warning  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
virus warning
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:14:59 AM »
Today my laptop warned me that this site has material from www.diablo3sanctuary.net, a website known for unsafe stuff distribution. The warning even told me that a hacker may have attacked this site. Something like that happened to anyone but me?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: virus warning
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
I got it too.  Someone probably has an avatar picture that came from that site.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:57:51 AM »
Are you getting that warning on every single page you visit on the forum, or just occasionally? If it's the latter, Chiroptera is likely correct.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:02:32 AM »
Are you getting that warning on every single page you visit on the forum, or just occasionally? If it's the latter, Chiroptera is likely correct.

I just got it from this link:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23585.345/topicseen.html

but not from any other, yet.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:06:25 AM »
It looks like parthagenon has a image linked from that site.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:11:34 AM »
Sorry, I was out of the PC for a time. I had the warning with the Weird thread and with another one I don't remember. Then, I decided to ignore the warning.
Thanks for the answer!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 02:48:06 AM »
Sorry, I think the site I was using for my avatar got infected.  I didn't notice, since I'd been using it safely for a while, and my mac doesn't get viruses, so I don't have much in the way of alerts.  I've changed the picture now, so the warning should be gone. 
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:49:03 AM »
We still like you, Parth.
(Thanks for the change)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »
One way to get around that kind of thing is to take the picture, upload it to something like Photobucket and link your avatar to it there. Established photo-sharing sites tend to have their own antivirus/antihacking protocols, and that adds another level of security for you.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »
One way to get around that kind of thing is to take the picture, upload it to something like Photobucket and link your avatar to it there. Established photo-sharing sites tend to have their own antivirus/antihacking protocols, and that adds another level of security for you.

Plus, it's polite to the website you got the image from because then you arn't using up some of their bandwidth each and every time someone looks at one of your posts...  Speaking of which, I need to take down that pic of Olivia Wilde in the casting thread...

Ninja edit:
Panesgrey discusses the bandwidth thing here much more eloquently than I
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:48:44 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
Thanks, Parthagenon!

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:06:58 PM »
Sorry, I think the site I was using for my avatar got infected.  I didn't notice, since I'd been using it safely for a while, and my mac doesn't get viruses, so I don't have much in the way of alerts.  I've changed the picture now, so the warning should be gone. 

Another potential issue with hotlinking from the original site.  I've known some site owners who took a dim, dim, view.  When they found a hotlink to one of their images, they'd replace the image with something horrid, repulsive, and genuine guaranteed to cause disgust and revulsion on the person who's avatar or linked image has been linked to the .. customized... material.  The nicest thing the webmistress I knew used to replace a hotlinked avatar image to was PedoBear....

End result, safest thing is to save the image to PC, then upload to a photobucket (or similar) account.  Saves bandwidth for the original site owner, saves you from potential issues if somethinghappens to source you're linking from.