Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163615 times)

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #900 on: May 10, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
I'm not sure on the rest, but I'm very pro quality control. It's much easier for everyone if the powers are balanced and identically formatted. If you're worried about being the Custom Power Tyrant, you can always ask other people to look over your changes like you usually do.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 10, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
In my experience, other people are rarely all that interested in doing this kind of thing.

So I could end up as Custom Power Tyrant despite trying to avoid that fate.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 10, 2013, 04:47:54 PM »
Then as long as you do your best, I'm open to a Benevolent Custom Power List Dictatorship.

Offline GrendalGornych

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Red Troll Forge - Blades and Blacksmithing
« Reply #903 on: May 12, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
Howdy..
a thought for a custom power thing..

how would you describe/stat the abilities of a cat/human?
meaning . somebody that can .. land on their feet, twist their body around, the loose skeletal structure of a cat..
claws and Eyesight.
Mostly use Aspects?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 13, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »
Claws, Echoes Of The Beast, Inhuman Speed, and an Aspect. Maybe also Cloak Of Shadows.

Then as long as you do your best, I'm open to a Benevolent Custom Power List Dictatorship.

I've given this some thought, and I've decided what I'm going to do.

I'll keep the main list as-is, without quality control. But I'll make a second list, which will contain only Powers I would allow a player to use in one of my games. The second list will probably have a section for Powers which I use despite knowing that they are flawed.

That way we can have both an unbiased list which contains everything and a biased list which contains the good (in my opinion) stuff.

Obviously, you can try to change the second list by convincing me that Power X is good/bad.

Also: I encourage other GMs to submit their own personal lists. I'll link them in the first post alongside my own list. That way we can have a Custom Power Democracy. Plus, your players will undoubtedly find it helpful to know what you'll allow.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 13, 2013, 05:07:54 PM »
at  Sanctaphrax

Sorry about the delay on my reply, a separate list probably would be quick and easy

other than that try keeping the format simple and applied to all powers in the resorce .

Vae Victus

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:52 AM »
I like the idea of your newly founded democracy.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 16, 2013, 04:03:42 AM »
Looks like the second list plan is a go.

But first, here's the first part of the planned update to the first list.

Stuff I did:

-Tweaked Living Threshold so that its weapon rating varies and it lets you punch ghosts.
-Edited Shadow Rip and Shadow Rend so that they don't require Powers not on the list anymore.
-Edited Puppeteer to not refer to the IoP that the Power was originally made for.
-Reformatted Sponsor.
-Reformatted Aura Of Influence.
-Removed Conceptual Thaumaturgy.
-Added Enthrallment, Reality Marble, Reality Marble, Puppeteer, Shapeshifting Disguise, Aura of Obscurity, Shadow Rip, Shadow Wraith, Long Reach, Telekinesis, Living Threshold, and The Lord Is My Shepherd.
-Added IP?... Please instead of editing Noob Security Systems to not reference IP?... Please.
-Edited Emperor Blessed Tech.
-Removed old versions of Telekinesis and Long Reach.
-Corrected a typo in Bag Of Tricks.

Stuff I still need to do:

-Collect the various "attach this to an IoP" Powers (Spiritual Weapon, Manifested Blade, the whole Shape-shifting Weapon series) and edit them into something good. Get ways and means to help if possible.
-Finish Super Math and add it to the list.
-Rewrite the Scarlet Sword Form Powers. Get ways and means to help if possible.
-Edit Phantom Slashes to make it more clear. Get ways and means to tell me what it was supposed to do if possible.
-Correct sundry typos, etc.
-Consider new sorting system.
-Make second list.

Stuff I removed:

(click to show/hide)

As always, feedback is welcome.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 17, 2013, 05:09:26 AM »
Did a bit of digging, came across two more Powers that I should add. One of 'em is actually an edited version of something on the list.

Might do a bit of editing before adding these.

ALTERNATE MAGICAL PARADIGM [-1]
Description: Your magic is different from everyone else's. Where most practitioners cast spells with mental strength and magical knowledge, you use other methods.
Musts: You must possess at least one spellcasting power in order to take this one.
Skills Affected: Any three.
Effects:
Alternate Magical Paradigm. Pick three skills. For the purposes of any spellcasting Powers you possess, use the first in place of your Conviction, the second in place of your Discipline, and the third in place of your Lore.
No Shenanigans. If any of your Powers or Stunts provide a bonus to one of the skills you picked, that bonus does not apply to your spellcasting.

Evothaum [-1] Your mastery of whatevermancy has allowed you to use it far faster than most others. Gain the ability to use whatevermancy at Evocation's methods and speeds, as described in the Sponsored Magic sections (YS Page 288).

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 17, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
Evothaum [-1] Your mastery of whatevermancy has allowed you to use it far faster than most others. Gain the ability to use whatevermancy at Evocation's methods and speeds, as described in the Sponsored Magic sections (YS Page 288).

Actually, I was just going to post a question about this...

I'd suggest the name be "Mastery of <Whatever>". e.g. "Mastery of Divination", "Mastery of Biomancy" etc.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 18, 2013, 04:14:33 AM »
Sure, sounds good to me.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 19, 2013, 06:17:40 AM »
ways and means hasn't gotten back to me, so I guess I'm going to have to do this alone. Without his help I don't know what to do with the Scarlet Sword series or with Phantom Slashes, so I guess I'm giving up on those agenda items.

But I can still make an attempt at the "attach this to a weapon" Powers.

Here goes...

The old Powers:

(click to show/hide)

I think Giant Weapons and its upgrades can be modelled with Natural Weaponry upgrades. So I'll just add a note saying that some Natural Weaponry upgrades are appropriate for Items of Power.

Spiritual Weapon probably doesn't need to be weapon-specific. I'll rename it Spiritual Attack and make it prettier. Apart from that it seems fine...actually, it probably shouldn't work with Strength. But otherwise it seems fine.

Manifested Blade and Shape-shifting Weapon are already included in Item Limitation. But not everybody uses that Power, so I guess I shouldn't delete them. I think I'll revise them into Powers that change the IoP rebate to +1 or to +0.

That's the plan, anyway. We'll see how it works out.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:01 AM »
Finished Super Math and edited the two Powers from my post on the 16th.

Feedback would be welcome, especially if it includes a better name for Super Math.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 19, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
Feedback would be welcome, especially if it includes a better name for Super Math.

Mathematical Savant?  Living Computer? Numerical Prodigy? Just throwing out some suggestions.

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 20, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
Try Poly-math it is the word for all around scientists who mainly use math skills at the core
Vae Victus