Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163920 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #780 on: January 26, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »
It'd be one attack per scene. Not terribly useful in combat.

Doing it as a maneuver would be basically the same as doing it as an attack, except that it'd bypass stress and consequences to hit FP instead. And there'd be a bit of confusion regarding the Aspect mechanics and exactly how much you can do with 'em.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 27, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
Fair enough.  How would you set the attack up exactly?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 27, 2013, 01:03:57 AM »
At the end of any scene, any character who saw you is subjected to an attack (or maneuver) unless you've been around for multiple scenes or are still in their presence. Probably use Conviction to determine the attack/maneuver roll. If it's an attack, put a pretty hefty weapon rating (maybe Conviction again) on it. If it's a maneuver, just specify the Aspect it places and maybe offer a free tag, don't specify exactly what happens after that too carefully.

Offer an upgrade to add to Conviction for using it and to let it work if you spend multiple scenes with someone.

Or something like that.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 27, 2013, 06:13:30 AM »
Placing it as a maneuver seems pretty much like my suggestion earlier.  Though I didn't specify that's how the Aspect got placed.

I like the idea of it not actually doing mental damage though.  It's less a mind blasting than a finding cracks and slipping through in my opinion.

Then again I could see it used to great effect causing distress with a mysterious antagonist who you can't remember or what you did to get on his bad side.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 27, 2013, 06:26:39 AM »
Um, yes. It is your suggestion. I was taking your suggestion.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 27, 2013, 06:34:23 AM »
Well I feel foolish.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 27, 2013, 06:59:21 AM »
Nah, it's understandable. Re-reading my old post, it does make it look like I was trying to shut you down.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 27, 2013, 07:03:31 AM »
Damnit Sanctaphrax, quit out-politing me.

I mean, thanks for being so polite about it but no offense was taken.

Yeah.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:07:46 AM by Mrmdubois »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 27, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
Sorry, I'm Canadian. It's my national duty to out-polite everybody.

Sorry if that bothers you.

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 27, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »
Sorry, I'm Canadian. It's my national duty to out-polite everybody.

Sorry if that bothers you.
And you're doing us proud!
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
I didn't see this power on the list but it's one I have already given to players.  BTW, I would like to add how awesome this list is.  Even if I disagree on some of the details of costs, etc., it's an EXCELLENT outline for great ideas.

Comfortable With Technology (-1)
Description: Unlike most wizards, this character does not conflict with modern invention.  Perhaps s/he is young and grew up with computers, or perhaps this is the sign of the next change of the wizard stigma.
Note: This power is only for characters that would normally unintentionally Hex surrounding electronics, etc. (like Harry Dresden and computers).
Something Must Take It's Place: The most common effect from this ability is to double intentional Hexing difficulties.  With GM consent, another stigma can take the place of the common wizard issues with tech.

Justification: I think it said somewhere in the series that wizards used to have boils instead of hexing everything.  Also, Jim Butcher himself has phased out this problem as much as he could-- not just with justifications like the architectural set-up but with simply trying to ignore it as much as possible.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 28, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »
Also, Jim Butcher himself has phased out this problem as much as he could-- not just with justifications like the architectural set-up but with simply trying to ignore it as much as possible.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 28, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?

Well, let me see how spoiler-free I can make this...
1) Mac's place was specifically designed to counter this.
2) In Cold Days, the location in Chicago that Dresden rested in just happened to have architecture that made it ok to have electronics.
3) In the first few books there was more of a mention of Dresden's power affecting the Blue Beetle.  In later books, he seems to have much less trouble (including in more modern Hummers).
4) In books like Fool Moon it talked about how even being inside Murphy's office her hard drive would blow if not unplugged.  In later books like Changes he seemed fine inside an FBI building and I think it was Turncoat when he was in an accounting firm's office where his deliberately hexing a phone didn't phase the computer.
      I am subject to be off a little on these examples, but these are ones that came to my head while attempting to solidify why my perceptions are such.

My point is simply that it seems to me Butcher is trying to tone down how much Harry's anti-tech aura affects the outside world.

Offline Auspice

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 28, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
The ability to NOT have this disadvantage, though, should come at a cost.  I think that a -1 Refresh plus x2 Hexing difficulties seem right.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 28, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
Well, let me see how spoiler-free I can make this...
1) Mac's place was specifically designed to counter this.
2) In Cold Days, the location in Chicago that Dresden rested in just happened to have architecture that made it ok to have electronics.
3) In the first few books there was more of a mention of Dresden's power affecting the Blue Beetle.  In later books, he seems to have much less trouble (including in more modern Hummers).
4) In books like Fool Moon it talked about how even being inside Murphy's office her hard drive would blow if not unplugged.  In later books like Changes he seemed fine inside an FBI building and I think it was Turncoat when he was in an accounting firm's office where his deliberately hexing a phone didn't phase the computer.
      I am subject to be off a little on these examples, but these are ones that came to my head while attempting to solidify why my perceptions are such.

My point is simply that it seems to me Butcher is trying to tone down how much Harry's anti-tech aura affects the outside world.

I'll concede that Butcher has set up some places that are more friendly to magic than others but I don't think he's toned down its effects on technology.

Just for instance, in the Turncoat example you gave Harry nukes every electronic on the lawyer's desk including the computer, and the cellphone inside her coat pocket.  Mind you that was a deliberate Hex and since then those have gotten even more impressive.

In the FBI building he was worrying about vampires, not intentionally Hexing anything, and it would get annoying and break the narrative pacing if every time Dresden had run into a room he said something like, "And because I wasn't too calm things started blowing up, because as I've mentioned, Wizards and technology don't get along."

Now, if you want to make it so some wizards are more tech friendly that's fine.  If something is taking the place of fouled up technology and is the equivalent in inconvenience like say, for some reason his power puts out fires, thus making any form of vehicular transportation other than a horse drawn carriage impossible, then I'd actually price it as a
-0 Power.