Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163956 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #660 on: August 15, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »
Is this better?

SUPERNATURAL MARTIAL ARTS [-1]
Description: You can improve your performance in combat by channelling magical energy.
Skills Affected: Combat skills.
Effects:
Special Techniques. You know three techniques from the following list. You may enhance your physical attacks and defences with them by taking a mental stress hit with a value equal to the combined cost of the techniques that you're using. So to use two techniques that each cost 1 stress to enhance an attack, you'd have to fill in your second mental stress box. Mental armour is useless against this cost. You must declare technique use before rolling. You may only use any given technique once per roll. At the GM's discretion, techniques beyond the ones presented here might exist. These techniques may not enhance spells or non-physical attacks.
  • Enhanced Accuracy (1 stress): Add 1 to the enhanced attack roll.
  • Enhanced Defence (1 stress): Add 1 to the enhanced defence roll.
  • Enhanced Damage (1 stress): The enhanced attack inflicts 2 additional stress.
  • Enhanced Resilience (1 stress): Add 2 to your armour against a single physical attack.
  • Spectral Strike (2 stress): The enhanced attack interacts with spirits and other immaterial things as though they were solid.
  • Distant Strike (2 stress): Add 3 zones to the range of the enhanced attack.
  • Whirlwind Attack (3 stress): You may apply your attack to an entire zone within its range, without a penalty or a risk of hitting yourself.
  • Piercing Attack (3 stress): The enhanced attack ignores all armour, regardless of the source of that armour.
  • Flurry (4 stress): Replace the enhanced attack with up to four attacks. Each of those attacks suffers a penalty equal to the number of attacks made, but all of them benefit from whatever techniques enhanced the original enhanced attack.
More Techniques [-1]. You know three additional techniques. You may take this upgrade more than once, but you cannot take any technique more than once.
Overdrive [-0]. You spend physical stress instead of mental stress to use your techniques. Spending physical stress this way bypasses all armour and all extra physical stress boxes from Powers.
Varied Techniques [-1]. You may spend either physical or mental stress in order to use your techniques. Spending physical stress this way bypasses all armour and all extra physical stress boxes from Powers.

Next up, Feeding Dependency. I tried to take Becq's critique into account here, but I'm not sure I went far enough.

Becq?

FEEDING DEPENDENCY [+varies]
Description: Some or all of your powers come from eating something. Probably something weird.
Skills Affected: Discipline.
Effects:
Restricted Powers. When you take this power, you must select at least one other power that you possess. You must also choose a thing and an amount of that thing that you must consume in order to use those powers. Which powers and foods may be selected with this power is a matter of the GM's discretion. This power provides a variable Refresh rebate depending on how much power is selected with it. If 2 Refresh is selected, the rebate is +1. If 6 Refresh is selected, the rebate is +2. If 10 Refresh is selected, the rebate is +3. And so on. The above values assume that the food is rare or morally objectionable, like significant amounts of human blood or huge piles of cash. If the food is acquired easily and without guilt, or only with extreme measures, add or subtract an appropriate amount from the Refresh total used to calculate the rebate. If more Refresh is attached to this power than is required for the rebate received, this power provides a free mild hunger consequence for every two additional Refresh or part thereof.
Feeding. You are capable of consuming whatever your food is. Furthermore, when you do so, you may remove any hunger consequences that you possess and recover any powers that you lost to your hunger. If you consume an insufficient amount of your food, you may receive partial benefits at the GM's discretion.
Limited Reserves. At the end of any scene in which you use one or more of your restricted powers, you must roll your Discipline skill against a number equal to the combined Refresh value of the restricted powers that you used. If you fail this roll, you must take consequences or sacrifice restricted powers with a total Refresh value and/or stress value equal to or greater than the amount that you failed by. If you do not or can not, you are taken out. This usually means that you die, get incapacitated, or go mad with hunger, but other fates are also possible depending on the character and the situation.

Adjustments for easy or difficult foods:

-4 Really easy stuff like an ordinary battery, small downtime requirements like a few hours of sunlight
-3 Weird but easy stuff like a hundred pounds of food
-2 Expensive or otherwise inconvenient stuff like 100-year-old paintings, large amounts of downtime like sleeping for a week straight
-1 Stuff that requires some work like a day-long ceremony involving 33 people.
0 Stuff with consequences like enough blood to make a victim pass out, massive downtime like spending months in prayer
+1 Stuff that requires special circumstances like vampire blood
+2 Plot-relevant stuff like a ritualistic human sacrifice, ridiculous downtime like meditating for a decade
+3 Stuff that pretty much requires a quest like an angel's feather
+4 Something nearly impossible like a planet

Still need to deal with Immunity...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 15, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
Hope this passes muster.

IMMUNITY [-varies]
Description: You are completely immune to some form of harm.
Note: The cost examples provided here are intended for the hypothetical average game. In unusual games, they may need to be adjusted. For example, he costs here assume that effects like All Creatures Are Equal Before God are supremely uncommon; if this is not true in your game, the more powerful variants of this Power might well be overcosted. Alternately, an an anti-anti-defensive-Power Power could be added to the game. Said more powerful variants are likely inappropriate for some games and should be used with caution. In some rare cases, it may qualify as a Compel when this Power does not apply. Effects that reduce Toughness by one level reduce Immunity to Mythic Toughness.
Skills Affected: Many.
Effects:
Immunity. Pick a type of stress. You are immune to that type of stress. This may prevent certain maneuvers and blocks from functioning, at the GM's discretion.
Variable Cost. The cost of this Power depends on the type of stress selected.
  • Completely trivial immunities, like drunk-ness or bad smells, are free.
  • Very narrow ones, like monkey wrenches or seduction attempts or falling damage, cost 1 Refresh.
  • Narrow immunities like poison or acid or magically induced despair cost 2 Refresh.
  • Immunity to a single common thing, like metal weaponry or explosions or fear, costs 3 Refresh.
  • Immunity to a broad group of things, like the physical attacks of the undead or mental magic, costs 4 Refresh.
  • Immunity to an extremely broad group of things, like all magic (including indirect spells) or all unarmed attacks, costs 5 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all mental stress with a sizeable weakness, like the attacks of women, costs 6 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all physical stress with a sizeable weakness, like cold iron, costs 7 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all mental stress with a small loophole, like the attacks of genderless beings, costs 8 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all mental stress costs 10 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all physical stress with a moderate weakness, like holy stuff, costs 12 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all physical stress with a small weakness, like a single legendary weapon, costs 17 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all physical stress costs 22 Refresh.
  • Immunity to all mental and physical stress costs 30 Refresh.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 15, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
Okay, list update done.

Link.

We're past 50 pages now, which is kinda cool.

Changes are not final, feel free to raise objections, etc.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 18, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
No comments? Really?

After all those arguments, I expected more response.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 18, 2012, 09:13:15 PM »
Apathy kills.

Anyway, I already made my objections to anything I have much problem with.

Most have been addressed.

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 21, 2012, 03:07:20 AM »
I came up with this variation of Thaumaturgy for a someone who wanted to play as a Wizard (or I guess in this case, an Apprentice Wizard) in an upcoming game with a "Up to Your Waist" power limit but didn't like the Ritual power. I think it may need some tweaks. Let me know what you think.

BASIC THAUMATURGY [-2]
Description: You have been trained in the subtler magical arts but have not mastered them all.
Basic Thaumaturgy: Pick three areas of Thaumaturgy (ie: Photomancy, Diabolism, Divination) to be able to use normally, all others are rolled at a +1 difficulty. You may not choose a specialty and are limited to one focus item slot.
Musts: The character must be a Sorcerer or a Wizard with a High Concept or Aspect that refers to your current level of magical training. You may NOT upgrade Basic Thaumaturgy with Refinement. Basic Thaumaturgy may be traded for full Thaumaturgy (and its increased refresh cost) at an appropriate milestone.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 22, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
I'm wary of Basic Thaumaturgy stepping on the toes of Ritual.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 22, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
Well, yes, I don't think anyone should allow this in the same game as Ritual.

Unless you put some more limits on it, like no focus items at all and only three fields, period.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 22, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
I don't like it either. This is basically full Thaumaturgy, minus a focus slot.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 22, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
To be fair, there is that increase in difficulty.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 22, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »
Three fields, carefully chosen, ought to cover 95% of one's rituals.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
True.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 01, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
Ok, a question with Limitation: Whenever a situation comes up that would deny me the use of my power, it's treated as a compel? So, if I get, say, Mythic Strength, and attached it to a -50% Limitation, I get a compel once per session that would render me unable to use Mythic Strength for the scene? And if I buy off the compel, then I can use it?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 01, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »
The payment for being denied access to your abilities under those circumstances is the refresh rebate, not a compel.  You've already been paid.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00:04 PM »
Though I expect it to be common for the limitation to come up because of a Compel.

Suppose your Limitation says that you can't use your Strength outside of water. Losing your Strength isn't a Compel, but it's totally possible for a Compel to be the thing that gets you out of the water.