Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163936 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #435 on: March 28, 2012, 03:44:11 AM »
Is there a reason that these powers are so cost-inefficient as compared even to the closest mortal stunts?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
They're basically stunts. +2 Conviction buys you an extra mental box, after all. What makes these powers is their ability to violate the cap on evocations per scene. Stunts bump up against a limit of 4 boxes, these do not.

I think that once you start experiencing the diminishing returns of Refinement in a big way, these powers will become quite worthwhile.

But they are a bit underwhelming at normal PC levels. Any suggestions on improving them?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 28, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »
If they're meant to be stunts, they should be listed elsewhere, shouldn't they?  This list is for powers, which are explicitly described as being more powerful for their cost.
Beyond that, I'm not convinced that this application is indeed comparable even to a +2 stunt.

The Toughness powers would suggest that physical stress boxes are costed at approximately 0.5 refresh in powers, and a quick analysis of Hulking Size would seem to agree.
I have yet to see any convincing argument as to why mental stress should be costed differently.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
They are not stunts, but they're roughly equal in power to stunts except for their higher cap. Which is occasionally appropriate for a power.

The reason that these cost more than most stress-boosters is their compatibility with spellcasting.

Again, I am interested in suggestions for changes.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 29, 2012, 11:46:25 PM »
The fact that they can be used in conjunction with another power is not sufficient justification to make them weaker.  They must stand on their own merits.

I would have thought that the implicit suggestion was obvious.  They seem too weak, and need something to boost them.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 30, 2012, 02:26:37 AM »
Um, yeah. I meant that you should suggest some way to boost them.

And yes, they should stand on their own merits. But they also shouldn't be super good when combined with spellcasting. Maybe I should make some level of Evocation a requirement, that'd make them less trap-like.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:25 AM »
Um, yeah. I meant that you should suggest some way to boost them.

And yes, they should stand on their own merits. But they also shouldn't be super good when combined with spellcasting. Maybe I should make some level of Evocation a requirement, that'd make them less trap-like.

I can think of only two things that would seem fitting with these powers' current makeup that could be added to them to make them more balanced: more of what they already have, or bonus mild mental consequence slots.

I see no fitting justification as to why increasing one's mental resilience would be predicated upon having learned to cast spells of any type.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
Making spellcasting a requirement would be kludge, but since the powers are only worthwhile in conjunction with spellcasting it might be the only option.

Not sure how to make this work without rendering normal mental defence stunts obsolete. Maybe remove the levels and make it one -2 power that gives 3 boxes.

Really, I could use more concrete input.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 30, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »
the powers are only worthwhile in conjunction with spellcasting

A self-fulfilling prophecy.
This power's content is being explicitly limited by it's perceived impact on spellcasting, and so has been watered down to a point where it is not useful for any other purpose.  Since it's not useful for any other purpose, it might as well be flagged specifically for use with spellcasting.  Given that it will be used for spellcasting, it cannot be made more potent than it is.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 30, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »
Pretty much, yeah.

The power of an extra mental stress box goes way up when you can use it to cast.

I guess I'll just add a note cautioning people not to take it without spellcasting.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #445 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
From the discussion in another thread...

Minor Magic [-0]: You are either a budding apprentice, a late bloomer, or otherwise have a very minor talent for magic.  While not capable of true Evocation or Thaumaturgy, you can tag your high concept once per scene without spending a fate point, to perform very minor magical feats. You must have an aspect related to your magical talent, such as I DIDN'T KNOW I COULD DO THAT or BUDDING PYROMANCER, and may be subject to compels when your magical talent gets out of your control. With time, effort, and/or instruction, you may be able to upgrade to Channeling, Rituals, Evocation, or Thaumaturgy (spending the appropriate refresh). If so whichever full spell casting power you take replaces this power.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 05, 2012, 02:26:40 AM »
No offence, Mr Death, but that's a badly written power. Here's why:

1. Tagging your High Concept for free once per scene is worth something. It's not fair to make it free.
2. The note about purchasing real spellcasting is totally unnecessary. You don't need a power to buy Channelling.
3. The Aspect requirement is pointless. It's not like you can buy this without an appropriate High Concept anyway.

Even if you ignore my opposition to the idea behind this, this is bad.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »
The note about upgrading wasn't that you needed this to buy channeling first, just a note that if you get channeling or another spellcasting power, it would replace this just like Evocation replaces Channeling.

As for the others, feel free to boost the refresh cost and remove the aspect requirement, then.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 06, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »
Aight, I'll try to hack this into something workable later.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »
How about another Self-sponsored magic?

SUPERIOR DIVINATION [-2]
Description: A master wizard can refine his skills in a particular area so fully that his abilities are qualitatively different from those of a normal mage. While normal specialization simply makes one faster and stronger and more effective, this level of focus provides entirely new capabilities. Martha Liberty, the reputed Spymaster of the High Council, is so practiced at Divination that Scrying a needle in a haystack is no harder than finding Waldo for her.
Musts: You must have both Evocation and Thaumaturgy with at least some specialization in Divination in order to take this power.
Sponsor: This magic is self-sponsored.
Agenda: As self-sponsored magic, this power lacks an agenda.
Evocation: Superior Divination does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Superior Divination does not provide any form of Thaumaturgy.
Evothaum: Superior Divination allows its user to cast Divination rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: You may use Divination to create a Scrying window that counts as line of sight for casting Evocation or Evothaum Spells, up to and including spells with a Shift rating equal to half of the Scrying window’s shifts of power (Not including Duration), Rounded up.
Note: Because this power requires Evocation and Thaumaturgy, it grants no focus slots and does not have its cost reduced when the user already has spellcasting powers.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.