Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163958 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #375 on: February 21, 2012, 04:26:49 AM »
Wizards might, on balance, be stronger than Werewolves. But it's hardly clear-cut, and werewolves do have significant advantages.

So playing a werewolf is justifiable from a power perspective. Playing a Focused Practitioner Crafter when 6-focus Rune Magic is available isn't.

Having Odin mess with you is a Compel, and therefore profitable for you. The weaknesses of Sponsored Magic have to be something else in order for them to actually be weaknesses.

The incoherent concepts show up when the Wizard realizes that he'd be a lot better off with Wings and Supernatural Toughness with a +3 Catch both linked to a Feeding Dependency. Now, a great roleplayer might be able to make that work seamlessly. But in most people's hands there will be some twisting involved.

PS: Your comment about cherry picking actually offended me and in the interests of politeness I won't reply to it.
PPS: What are you talking about when you say "standard Sponsorship benefits"?
PPPS: Even if we were to accept your utterly wrongheaded idea that the system should make Sponsored Magic strictly better than normal magic, making something better than Crafting would still be really dumb. Trust me, Crafting is really freaking strong.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 21, 2012, 05:32:17 AM »
Wizards might, on balance, be stronger than Werewolves. But it's hardly clear-cut...<snip>
This is something we differ on...but no need to argue it out again.  Just pointing out that opinions differ on relative power levels.

Regarding power levels and choice, I do know of some groups made up primarily or even solely of casters.  Can't say the same of any other template.

As for "cherry picking" powers, I agree with Dr D...and disagree with him also.  I like and try to encourage themed characters.  But trappings on powers can change.  Injun Joe might have True Shapeshifting with the trappings of spellcasting, Mort might have Modular Abilities with the trappings of Ectomancy, and "Billy Joe Bobby Sue" might have Inhuman Strength with trappings of WWF (or whatever) wrestling.  So yes, powers should fit a theme but no, I'm not going to lock myself or my players down to one possible explanation for each power.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #377 on: February 21, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
Wizards might, on balance, be stronger than Werewolves. But it's hardly clear-cut, and werewolves do have significant advantages.

So playing a werewolf is justifiable from a power perspective. Playing a Focused Practitioner Crafter when 6-focus Rune Magic is available isn't.

Having Odin mess with you is a Compel, and therefore profitable for you. The weaknesses of Sponsored Magic have to be something else in order for them to actually be weaknesses.

The incoherent concepts show up when the Wizard realizes that he'd be a lot better off with Wings and Supernatural Toughness with a +3 Catch both linked to a Feeding Dependency. Now, a great roleplayer might be able to make that work seamlessly. But in most people's hands there will be some twisting involved.
Well, like I said, I'm alright with 5, so if it's that big a deal, go ahead and write it that way.

PS: Your comment about cherry picking actually offended me and in the interests of politeness I won't reply to it.
Then I apologize. I myself was a little offended by being told that something I said was "profoundly awful" and enabling to powergamer munchkins. For what it's worth, I didn't mean that you, specifically, did that, I just wanted to point out that some groups (or at least, the ones I've been part of) give equal or more weight to the narrative aspects than mechanical benefits.
PPS: What are you talking about when you say "standard Sponsorship benefits"?
All the Sponsored Magics listed in Your Story mention standard sponsor benefits in their descriptions, linking to YS 288. Most of which is probably already covered by the features we've put into Rune Magic, admittedly, but when I typed it I was mostly thinking of the whole 'free invoke for debt' bit.
PPPS: Even if we were to accept your utterly wrongheaded idea that the system should make Sponsored Magic strictly better than normal magic, making something better than Crafting would still be really dumb. Trust me, Crafting is really freaking strong.
Fair enough. I object to it being called "utterly wrongheaded," however. As UmbraLux points out, we have difference of opinion on relative power levels. I respect that you have a much firmer grasp of the rules than I do, which is why I'm participating in these discussions--I want and value your feedback. But you could lighten up on the language just a little bit.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:41:12 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Not really going to try for coherence here: please excuse my rambling.

-I'm sorry if I insulted you. I intended nothing of the sort. My policy for these things is to be polite to people, but merciless to ideas.

-My criticism of your ideas does not imply any criticism of you personally.

-I also like to encourage themed characters, and I find that powers with defined themes tend to make themed characters hard to make.

-While wizards are almost always stronger than werewolves, you can't deny that there is an almost there. The almost is important and must be preserved. Werewolves actually have the edge over wizards in social stuff and they have a couple of tricks that wizards have trouble duplicating.

-All Sponsored Magics are supposed to allow debt-taking. I dunno, maybe I should make that clearer.

-Are there any problems left with Rune Magic? Or can we call it done?

-I'm actually not all that savvy rules-wise outside of a couple of narrow areas. But I keep Your Story at hand and I look things up often so I come across as knowledgeable online.

-One thing I see a lot that really bugs me is a presumption that all real roleplayers ignore mechanics in favour of narrative. That presumption is often used to justify mechanics that really aren't fun for people who care about optimization. Which is just dumping on a fraction of the playerbase for no real reason.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #379 on: February 22, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
-I'm sorry if I insulted you. I intended nothing of the sort. My policy for these things is to be polite to people, but merciless to ideas.
-My criticism of your ideas does not imply any criticism of you personally.
Fair enough. I've learned it's hard to distinguish between calling someone's ideas dumb and calling the person themselves dumb, so no hard feelings.

-While wizards are almost always stronger than werewolves, you can't deny that there is an almost there. The almost is important and must be preserved. Werewolves actually have the edge over wizards in social stuff and they have a couple of tricks that wizards have trouble duplicating.
While I agree that it comes down on an individual basis, I'd say that a basic wizard optimized for combat is going to beat a basic werewolf optimized for combat pretty handily. ("basic" here meaning straight up template).

-All Sponsored Magics are supposed to allow debt-taking. I dunno, maybe I should make that clearer.

-Are there any problems left with Rune Magic? Or can we call it done?
It looks good to me. Functional in the way the books imply, and I wouldn't have to change too much of what my Valkyrie was already able to do with the previous version.

-One thing I see a lot that really bugs me is a presumption that all real roleplayers ignore mechanics in favour of narrative. That presumption is often used to justify mechanics that really aren't fun for people who care about optimization. Which is just dumping on a fraction of the playerbase for no real reason.
Yeah, I didn't want to start up a "you're not a true gamer IF..." argument. From what I've seen of your posts, it seemed to me that you speak a lot about the mechanics for these things without much mention of the narrative (you see compels purely as a bonus, since you get fate points, I see compels as having something of a penalty, because it complicates the character's life and choices, for instance, hence my comments that having Odin looking over your shoulder might be a reason not to play with Rune Magic).

But anyway, back on topic, yeah, Rune Magic looks good.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:25 AM »
Sorry, haven't really checked the boards since it went down for like a month. I read through the Rune Magic talk and the latest writeup and I don't really see any glaring problems. A couple clarification questions though. I don't have my books on hand and haven't really touched them in a couple months so sorry if my questions seem dumb >.>

"Finally, Rune Magic provides five focus slots instead of the regular four." If the character has Thaumaturgy does that effect how many slots they get?

Can a user still craft normal enchanted items? The defensive shield on Gard's battleaxe in Even Hand seemed to be rune-themed but better suited to being an enchanted item like Harry's coat rather than a collection of single use potion/runes.

Overall I like this version of Rune Magic much better than my own.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:20:38 AM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #381 on: February 23, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »
"Finally, Rune Magic provides five focus slots instead of the regular four." If the character has Thaumaturgy does that effect how many slots they get?
I would guess three, since if you already have Thaumaturgy, you're also getting the power at a discount.

Can a user still craft normal enchanted items? The defensive shield on Gard's battleaxe in Even Hand seemed to be rune-themed but better suited to being an enchanted item like Harry's coat rather than a collection of single use potion/runes.
Yes. Or at least, that was my intention.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:21 AM »
@Mr. Death:

Yep, barring highly special circumstances a wizard fights better than a werewolf. But there's more to the game than combat, and there are certain scenarios where the wolf is better.

There are valid optimization reasons to play a werewolf instead of a wizard. So a powergamer doesn't have to feel dumb when he plays one.

Compels aren't purely good, but they're good enough that using them as a drawback for a power just doesn't work.

@Mal_Luck:

High praise indeed.

I agree with Mr. Death.

Will clarify the focus number thing.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 23, 2012, 07:47:02 AM »
Now for three new Sponsored Magics. The first two are stolen from H++ and CBIrish respectively, the third I wrote because Spring Magic implies Autumn Magic.

AQUAE ARNEMETIAE [-4]
Description: Arnemetia, she who dwells in the sacred grove, presided over the Buxton spring since before Britain went Roman. Unfortunately for her, when the Romans came they killed her druids and suppressed her worship with both mundane force and summoned demons. With the druids exterminated, Arnemetia entered torpor, waiting for a champion. One shrine dedicated to her survived.
Sponsor: Arnemetia, she who dwells in the sacred grove.
Agenda: The destruction of demonkind.
Evocation: Evocations cast with Aquae Arnemetiae use water, purification, growth and plant life to work their effects.
Thaumaturgy: Rituals cast with Aquae Arnemetiae can purify things, manipulate water, manipulate plant life. They can also emulate many diabolism effects, but said effects are entirely geared towards combating demons and returning them to the Inferno.
Evothaum: The diabolism rituals granted by Aquae Arnemetiae can be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Aquae Arnemetiae ignores one level of Toughness when used against demons.

SPRING MAGIC/SAOLION [-4]
Description: Drawing upon the Pure Way, the power of the fallen Spring Court, you are able to cast spells that fit its essential nature: change, growth, renewal, light, vitality and earth. These magics are under the sway and watch of the Oberon, Lord of Faerie and inevitably making use of them will draw his notice. This is ancient and rarely practiced lore, focusing on bringing forth the new. This is the power to reveal what is hidden, restore what has been lost and replace what no longer serves its purpose.
Sponsor: The Faerie Lord Oberon and his Spring Court.
Agenda: The revelation of what is hidden, the restoration of what has been lost, the replacement of what no longer has a purpose, and the creation of the new. Plus the destruction of opposing Courts.
Evocation: Spring Magic Evocations make use of water, plant life, and light.
Thaumaturgy: Spring Magic rituals can be used to create things, to create and manipulate light, or to reveal secrets.
Evothaum: Spring Magic allows its user to cast photomancy rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Spring Magic ignores one level of Toughness when used against faeries of opposing Courts.

AUTUMN MAGIC [-4]
Description: Drawing upon the power of the fallen Autumn Court, you are able to cast spells that bring things to an end and harvest what's left behind. These magics are under the sway of the Lord Of Faerie known as The Reaper and using them will inevitably draw his attention.
Sponsor: The Reaper and his Autumn Court.
Agenda: The destruction of old things and the natural process of decay. The collection and liquidation of resources. Bringing things to an end. Plus the destruction of opposing Courts.
Evocation: Autumn Magic evocations often manipulate dust or cause targets to rot instantly.
Thaumaturgy: Autumn Magic rituals end things and harvest the leftovers. They involve death, decay, and the collection of valuable things.
Evothaum: Autumn Magic allows its user to cast necromancy rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Autumn Magic ignores one level of Toughness when used against faeries of opposing Courts.

Any complaints?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 23, 2012, 08:25:39 AM »
Now to compile everything:

BOON OF THE FISHER KING [-4]
Description: This is the power of the legendary Fisher King. Enough said.
Sponsor: The Fisher King is a very old and very powerful faerie who features in the mortal legends of Bran the Blessed and King Arthur. He is the wounded monarch on which the vitality of the land depends, his life sustained by the magic cauldron that can restore the dead to life. Over the years his legends have been mixed with Christian ones, giving him a severe identity crisis and essentially forcing him into senility.
Agenda: The Fisher King seeks to unlock the true potential of others, generally by sending them on quests. He prizes creativity. A character who incurs significant sponsor debt to the Fisher King finds himself compelled to conform to traditional tropes for questing heroes, including aiding any seemingly helpless individual who asks for it and insisting on antiquated notions of chivalry and honor. Given the degraded nature of the Fisher King's state of mind, such compulsions can take on bizarre and even dangerous forms.
Evocation: Evocations cast with the power of the Fisher King take the appearance of spectral weapons and warriors created to aid their caster. They may not be cast in opposition to the Fisher King's agenda.
Thaumaturgy: Rituals cast with the power of the Fisher King may be used to create things or to inspire and aid others in their adventures. They may not be cast in opposition to the Fisher King's agenda.
Evothaum: All rituals that may be cast with the power of the Fisher King may be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Characters with the Boon Of The Fisher King may spend a Fate Point or take a point of Sponsor Debt to send a willing character on a quest. A quest is a compel against one of the quest-taker's aspects that sends the quest-taker on a journey to accomplish some great task. While on a quest, a character may invoke the aspect that sent them on the quest by taking a point of sponsor debt. In addition, a character with the Boon Of The Fisher King may spend a Fate Point or take a point of Sponsor Debt to give a Fate Point to or remove a point of Sponsor Debt from a character who is on a quest for them.

SUPER-SCIENCE! [-4]
Description: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; any sufficiently defined magic is indistinguishable from technology. You're able to invent and build fantastic devices that are only dreamed about in science-fiction to create effects that blur the line between science and magic.
Sponsor: Super-Science! is sponsored by Science! itself. Science! is a semi-aware entity formed out of the scientific method and the collected knowledge of the human race.
Agenda: Science! desires to grow through the continued collective accumulation of knowledge and through the propagation of the scientific world-view. Beware, for the cold logic of Science can be used to justify any action...the same inspirations that created radiotherapy for curing cancer, first created nuclear bombs.
Evocation: Super-Science! evocations consist largely of the activation of supernatural weapons. As a result, they tend to be similar to exaggerated versions of real-life weaponry. Examples of Super-Science! evocations include homing missiles, laser blades, acidic bullets, and the like.
Thaumaturgy: Super-Science! rituals work through building machines and solving equations. If a ritual could conceivably be completed by those means, it may be cast with Super-Science!.
Evothaum: Super-Science does not grant the ability to use Thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Super-Science! does not use the usual set of spellcasting skills. Resources replaces Conviction, Craftsmanship replaces Discipline and Scholarship replaces Lore for the purposes of spellcasting with Super-Science!. In addition, a character with Super-Science receives one free specialization in either Crafting power or Crafting frequency. Finally, a character with Super-Science! never accidentally hexes anything.
Drawbacks: Super-Science! evocations may not be cast without foci. Furthermore, Super-Science! foci and enchanted items are vulnerable to hexing. The difficulty is equal to Scholarship + twice the number of Enchanted Item slots invested in the item.

THE POWER OF BLOOD [-4]
Description: A true blooded elder vampire can draw a form of magical power from the life in the blood they have stolen. This power can be used to manipulate the blood of others and the blood of the vampire itself. The power of the blood works like evocation though cause hunger stress rather than mental stress.
Musts: The Blood Drinker and Feeding Dependency powers are required in order to purchase this one.
Sponsor: The Power Of Blood lacks a conventional sponsor. It is fueled by its user's nature and by the blood that its user has stolen.
Agenda: The Power Of Blood wants its users to drink more and more blood. It has no long-term agenda, just endless bloodlust.
Evocation: Evocations cast with The Power Of Blood work through the physical control of blood.
Thaumaturgy: The Power Of Blood allows its user to cast rituals that manipulate or make use of blood.
Evothaum: Any ritual that may be cast with The Power Of Blood may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Any spell cast with The Power Of Blood costs hunger stress instead of mental stress.

CHAOS MAGIC/THE BLESSING OF THE UNNAMED [-4]
Description: Drawing on the power of the Nameless God of Chaos you are able to cast spells that fit into its essential nature: chaos, destruction, madness and the bending of reality. Making use of this power can cause ripples in the very nature of causality.
Sponsor: The Nameless God of Chaos sponsors users of this power.
Agenda: The Nameless God of Chaos wishes to twist the world until nothing but chaos and madness remains.
Evocation: Chaos evocations consist of brute-force reality-bending. They often resemble entropomantic attacks.
Thaumaturgy: Chaos rituals twist the world in subtle ways. Their effects are many and varied, but they always serve to promote the goals of the Nameless God.
Evothaum: Chaos Magic allows its user to use entropomancy, psychomancy, and diabolism with the speed and methods of evocation.
Extra Benefits: Chaos Magic users get a free Thaumaturgy specialization in complexity or control for spells that twist the natures of things.

MA'AT MAGIC [-4]
Description: Ma’at was the ancient Egyptian concept of truth, balance, order, law, morality, and justice. In practice, the concepts of Truth, Order, and Justice prevail as the Goddess Ma’at’s  theme.
Sponsor: Ma’at (the personification of Ma’at the concept, and facilitator of "Final Justice" in Duat, the Underworld, where Anubis weighs one's heart against her Feather of Truth)
Agenda: To seek Truth, enforce Order and ensure Justice is done. Those Sponsored by Ma’at are often required to accept requests to mediate situations, like Judges or Viziers.
Evocation: Evocations based on Ma’at tend to be direct and focused. Fallout tends to occur in visibly stilted ways (Accidental fires that spread evenly, items break cleanly, etc.). Evocations of Ma'at are usually used in the Justice phase of a Sponsor's work, and must reflect a Just and fitting punishment (Shadow Evocations against someone proven to have blinded another, for example).
Thaumaturgy: Rituals involving Ma’at often make use of precise measurements, use of balance in item placement, well-chosen incantations(preferably in ancient Egyptian), and intricate repetitive gestures. Ma'at rituals promote the process of Investigation, Determination of the Truth, and Atonement/punishment for transgressions.
Evothaum: Ma’at Magic allows its user to cast Divination, Entropomancy, and Conjuration spells with the speed of Evocation when acting in pursuit of justice.
Extra Benefits: Those Sponsored by Ma’at are gifted with a knack for feeling out the truth in situations, they may choose to use Lore to roll for the Empathy trapping "Reading People", or for the Investigation trapping "Examination". The Sponsored must choose which when affirming his appointment as Ma'at's Favored.

YULETIDE MAGIC [-4]
Description: Drawing on the power of the Saint Nicholas, you’re able to cast spells that fit his essential nature: warmth and coldness, charity, protection, travel, and power over secrets. These magics are under the sway and watch of Saint Nicholas himself; making use of them will inevitably catch his notice.
Sponsor: Santa Claus
Agenda: To reward good children, and to promote the traditions and spirit of Christmas.
Evocation: Yuletide evocations involve the control of warmth and coldness.
Thaumaturgy: Yuletide rituals encourage or make use of warmth, coldness, charity, protection, travel, and secrecy.
Evothaum: Yuletide Magic allows its user to cast conjuration and warding spells with evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: A character with Yuletide Magic gets a one free specialization in conjuration complexity and another in conjuration control.

FOXFIRE [-4]
Description: A gift from the fox spirits of legend allows you to cloud minds, fool the senses, and even drive people to insanity.
Sponsor: The fox spirits of Eastern legend, AKA nine-tailed foxes, huli jing, kumiho, kitsune, and many other names. Contrary to many modern interpretations, fox spirits tend to be unrepentant monsters with a taste for human flesh, though benevolent individuals exist. Many scholars compare the diversity of fox spirit myths to faerie lore in European traditions, though the two are (probably) distinct supernatural genera. Fox spirits are often worshiped, or at least placated, in traditional shrines.
Agenda: Seduction, illusion, the gaining of status and wealth through dishonorable means or Faustian bargains. Foxfire prefers to be used in indirect ways, but when grave insult or disrespect is offered, it kindles brightly with the desire for vengeance.
Evocation: Foxfire evocations are often limned in ghostly blue or red flames. Foxfire employs raw spiritual energy channeled in the form of voracious insubstantial fire It is quick to take hold and consume, but just as quick to burn out or be quenched.
Thaumaturgy: Foxfire can be employed to manipulate emotional states, create durable illusions, and to cause effects in a target household that resemble a haunting or demon possession. When used offensively it has a the unique preference for inflicting mental stress, the fire that burns cold but sears the soul.
Evothaum: Foxfire allows its user to cast Photomancy and Psychomancy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: A user of Foxfire may add one to their Deceit skill when using it to create a mundane illusion or to support an illusion of any kind.

BIBLIOMANCY [-4]
Description: You can project the world of the word into the real world. Nothing from the world of the word can exist without context as it would lose its meaning and therefore its existence. Monsters drawn from books remain monsters and heroes, heroes.
Sponsor: Bibliomancy draws upon the world of words for its powers. The world of words is essentially a conglomeration of everything ever written, from novels to textbooks. It is not actually sentient, but it has a sort of will nonetheless.
Agenda: The world of words has no concrete agenda, but it is generally in favour of knowledge and against the destruction of books. Sometimes it will try to force reality into the shape of a novel.
Evocation: Bibliomantic evocations make use of the Word element. Word evocations generally function by bringing things from the world of words into reality. This can create almost any evocation effect, but it requires access to written material containing the desired effect.
Thaumaturgy: Bibliomantic rituals can blur the line between text and truth, perform a wide variety of divinations with a textual thematic, create books or other associated objects, and open portals to certain realms.
Evothaum: Bibliomancers may summon creatures from books, divine written things, and create written materials with the speed and methods of evocation.
Extra Benefits: A Bibliomancer adds two to his or her Resources skill when using it to determine Library quality or to purchase a new Library. In addition, a Bibliomancer may use a Library of any sort as an Arcane Sanctum of an equal rating.

FOMOR MAGIC [-4]
Description: Fomor magic draws on the dark, pressured, saline depths and the powers of entropy and mutation; Fomor magic effects tend to form, or be attended by, shadows, fogs, or mists and leave corrosion, rust, or decay behind. It favors dark curses, mutative or flesh-warping effects, corrosive attacks, and entropy-based defenses that weaken and soften attacks.
Sponsor: Fomor magic draws on the power of the Fomor, an ancient alliance or nation of mostly aquatic beings with affinities to the jotuns and the darker faeries.
Agenda: The plans of the Fomor as somewhat nebulous, but extremely sinister. Their current efforts are primarily dedicated to kidnapping mortal magic users.
Evocation: Treat Fomor Magic as Water for Evocation purposes.
Thaumaturgy: Fomor Magic can be used to cast entropomantic curses and to use the more mutative/disgusting effects of biomancy.
Evothaum: Any ritual that may be cast with Fomor Magic may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Fomor Magic is unaffected by running water.

RUNE MAGIC [-4]
Description: A long time ago, Odin stabbed himself with a spear and hanged himself from The World Tree as a sacrifice to himself. By doing so, he acquired the power of Rune Magic. Now Odin gives some of that runic power to his Valkyries, making them able to serve him better.
Sponsor: Rune Magic comes from Odin, greatest of the Aesir and master of runes.
Agenda: The agenda of Odin is not entirely clear, but it definitely includes making preparations for Ragnarok. Users of Rune Magic might be called upon to find new Einherjar for Odin's armies or to gather weapons for the final battle.
Evocation: Rune Magic does not provide any form of Evocation.
Thaumaturgy: Rune Magic rituals are mainly useful for divination, warding, and crafting. Some other effects might also be possible, but no Rune Magic effect may extend beyond the immediate proximity of the runes used to cast it.
Evothaum: Rune Magic does not grant the ability to use Thaumaturgy with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: A user of Rune Magic may create special Rune Items. Creating a Rune Item requires a ritual much like an ordinary thaumaturgical ritual, except that the caster spends an Enchanted Item slot for each exchange he spends casting the spell. If the ritual succeeds, the resulting Rune Item functions identically to a single-use potion containing the ritual's effect. In addition, Rune Magic users get a free specialization in Rune Magic complexity and gain the ability to read and write the secret language of runes. Finally, Rune Magic provides five focus slots instead of the regular four.
Note: The cost of Rune Magic is not reduced if the character taking it has Evocation. But if that character has Thaumaturgy, reduce the cost of Rune Magic and the number of focus slots it grants by one and two respectively.

AQUAE ARNEMETIAE [-4]
Description: Arnemetia, she who dwells in the sacred grove, presided over the Buxton spring since before Britain went Roman. Unfortunately for her, when the Romans came they killed her druids and suppressed her worship with both mundane force and summoned demons. With the druids exterminated, Arnemetia entered torpor, waiting for a champion. One shrine dedicated to her survived.
Sponsor: Arnemetia, she who dwells in the sacred grove.
Agenda: The destruction of demonkind.
Evocation: Evocations cast with Aquae Arnemetiae use water, purification, growth and plant life to work their effects.
Thaumaturgy: Rituals cast with Aquae Arnemetiae can purify things, manipulate water, manipulate plant life. They can also emulate many diabolism effects, but said effects are entirely geared towards combating demons and returning them to the Inferno.
Evothaum: The diabolism rituals granted by Aquae Arnemetiae can be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: Aquae Arnemetiae ignores one level of Toughness when used against demons.

SPRING MAGIC/SAOLION [-4]
Description: Drawing upon the Pure Way, the power of the fallen Spring Court, you are able to cast spells that fit its essential nature: change, growth, renewal, light, vitality and earth. These magics are under the sway and watch of the Oberon, Lord of Faerie and inevitably making use of them will draw his notice. This is ancient and rarely practiced lore, focusing on bringing forth the new. This is the power to reveal what is hidden, restore what has been lost and replace what no longer serves its purpose.
Sponsor: The Faerie Lord Oberon and his Spring Court.
Agenda: The revelation of what is hidden, the restoration of what has been lost, the replacement of what no longer has a purpose, and the creation of the new. Plus the destruction of opposing Courts.
Evocation: Spring Magic Evocations make use of water, plant life, and light.
Thaumaturgy: Spring Magic rituals can be used to create things, to create and manipulate light, or to reveal secrets.
Evothaum: Spring Magic allows its user to cast photomancy rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Spring Magic ignores one level of Toughness when used against faeries of opposing Courts.

AUTUMN MAGIC [-4]
Description: Drawing upon the power of the fallen Autumn Court, you are able to cast spells that bring things to an end and harvest what's left behind. These magics are under the sway of the Lord Of Faerie known as The Reaper and using them will inevitably draw his attention.
Sponsor: The Reaper and his Autumn Court.
Agenda: The destruction of old things and the natural process of decay. The collection and liquidation of resources. Hunting. Bringing things to an end. Plus the destruction of opposing Courts.
Evocation: Autumn Magic evocations often manipulate dust or cause targets to rot instantly.
Thaumaturgy: Autumn Magic rituals end things and harvest the leftovers. They involve death, decay, and the collection of valuable things. They can also be used for to track down prey and for hunting in general.
Evothaum: Autumn Magic allows its user to cast necromancy rituals with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra Benefits: Autumn Magic ignores one level of Toughness when used against faeries of opposing Courts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:48:35 PM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline H++

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Town Called Malice DFRPG Campaign
« Reply #385 on: February 23, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
Spring and Autumn look really good!

Thanks for adding Aquae Arnemetiae.  8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:41:40 AM by H++ »

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 23, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
Have to agree with H++ - they look good.  There are two things i have questions about, though:

Would it not be more in line with available info for the Autumn Magic to be associated with the Erlking (or similar)? Autumn being a time of harvest, I understand the Reaper, it just seems...sort of off...for the Fae.  Autumn could also include hunting/tracking/etc. (divination, etc) since that's a big part of the harvest season as well.

With Saolion - I'd prolly replace water with earth, since water is presented as more of an entropy element than a nourishing one (though a case could be made either way, I suppose).

Anyway, just my two cents.   ;D
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 24, 2012, 07:59:42 AM »
Thanks, chaps.

I don't really see the Erlking as Autumn-associated. Is the hunt really such a big part of fall? If so I guess I could add some divination, but I think I'll keep The Reaper.

As for the Saolion element swap: your power, your call. I'll change it.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #388 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
I don't really see the Erlking as Autumn-associated. Is the hunt really such a big part of fall?
Yes, actually. Hunting lets animals survive from summer to winter. If there's too many animals of a given herd during winter, food will be scarce individually; by hunting and thinning the herd, proportionally there's more food, which helps ensure that the species continues to thrive.

So yes, in the grand natural scheme of things, the autumn hunting season is vital.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 24, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »
Yes, actually. Hunting lets animals survive from summer to winter. If there's too many animals of a given herd during winter, food will be scarce individually; by hunting and thinning the herd, proportionally there's more food, which helps ensure that the species continues to thrive.

So yes, in the grand natural scheme of things, the autumn hunting season is vital.

Agreed totally.  Hunting and Autumn go hand in hand.